Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2024, 01:55 PM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default Tire Pressures

OK, it's a Daily -- so why am I always airing my tires? What are the best innertubes on the market?
TKS
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:56 PM   #2
old31

Default Re: Tire Pressures

All of my radial inner tubes came from Coker, and I never have to re fill the air.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:10 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
OK, it's a Daily -- so why am I always airing my tires? What are the best innertubes on the market?
TKS
I don't know what size you need but I always heard Bratton's had the best stock tubes.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 04:58 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Do you have the inner tubes with metal stems? If so, did you install them yourself? Did you use rubber glue to seal the stems? Or did you buy the inner tubes with the metal stems already installed? I have found that the tubes with metal stems tend to lose air more rapidly than those with the incorrect (but more practical) rubber stems.
If, however, you have rubber stems, did you insert them into the wheel yourself? If so, you may have slightly pinched the inner tube so that it has a slow leak. Also, try replacing all the air valves inside the rubber stems. They may be defective or not tightened properly to seal. They will leak even past the rubber caps. The valves are cheap enough that it will be worth your while to simply replace them all.
Depending upon where and when you bought the inner tubes, a couple years ago there were some poor quality tubes being sold that leak air through the rubber. This became such a well-known problem in the Model A community that at least one national vendor made mention in his catalog that his tubes were of better quality and wouldn't leak through the sidewalls like the inferior ones were doing. Maybe you got stuck with the inferior tubes that will leak forever?
Are there any patches on the inner tubes? If so, they may be leaking or have deteriorated. Any kind of rough surface or small projecting rusticle could have worn a pin hole in your inner tube that allows air to slowly escape.
Finally, do weather temperatures fluctuate wildly and rapidly where you live in Florida? Tires usually lose air during cold winter months and must be aired up again when the weather turns nice. If your weather changes rapidly, your inner tubes may be losing air in the cold temperatures. Is this a new thing with your tires or did the situation only develop over the winter?
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:04 PM   #5
nkaminar

I use a little spit to form a bubble over the end of the stems to test for a leaky valve. I started doing this as a teenager. It was probably the result of one valve leaking. I carry new stems and a tool to change them in the car.

I would advise to replace all the tubes and use some talcum powder from Aircraft Spruce to keep the tubes from chaffing against the tires. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...s/tiretalc.php

Another option is to put some Slime (the green stuff) in the tubes, but it makes a mess and is not a cure but a band aid.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:47 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Speaking of stems, is there a reason why the are so long?They would be easier to fill if not so long

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I would advise to replace all the tubes and use some talcum powder from Aircraft Spruce to keep the tubes from chaffing against the tires. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...s/tiretalc.php
That is good stuff that nkaminar suggests. I used it when installing my American Classic Radials.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:47 PM   #7
Dino's A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Speaking of stems, is there a reason why the are so long?They would be easier to fill if not so long

That is good stuff that nkaminar suggests. I used it when installing my American Classic Radials.
X2 on that!
1968 Taco Minibike

Member, Santa Anita Model A's
Arcadia Ca.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:09 PM   #8
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Speaking of stems, is there a reason why the are so long? They would be easier to fill if not so long.
I read somewhere that the early iterations of the Schrader valve internals were much longer and necessitated the long stems. And repros have kept that length for authenticity.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote