Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Double thickness fan construction

Anyone know the actual manufacturing / construction method for the double thickness propeller type two bladed fan?

What bonding method was used to secure the two layers to each other?

Were these fans balanced or just run as assembled?

If balanced, were they teeter-tauter balanced or center shaft balanced?

Also, was the pulley an intragal part of the fan or was the fan held to the pulley by the castle nut?

I'm replacing the sawed off four blade and have this one cleaned up and running true but it is out of balance.....seriously out of balance...
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Double thickness fan construction

Likely it has rust inside creating the imbalance. I think it was Holley that made them and I doubt there was a way to coat the inside to prevent rusting. I actually have made a special fixture (again) to balance them on a Lemco balancer after losing my A&P contact at the airport. I am going to be balancing a couple next week for a friend and will try to take some pictures.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
MrWzrd
BANNED

I got to thinking... and decided to fire up the lathe and make a cone that would allow me to center up the fan using an old pump shaft.
Fan was actually close to balanced once I was able to get it on centerline. Did a little trimming and it is not in balance but I need to tweak one airfoil as it is running about 1/8" out of track.
I think I will take the time to build an airfoil model so that both blades are symmetric.

I still would like to know what was used to bond the two layers together. I see some 1/4" spot welds on the hub and suspect from the discoloration along the leading edges that they were electrically bonded but I would love to get that verified.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Yes, they were electrically welded around the blade edge. That's why water from a leaking water pump would get trapped in the blades and rust them from inside out. This is easy to detect by bulges in the blades. I'm still running an original fan and it has a very slight bulge.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
MrWzrd
BANNED

great. Thanks Tom.

This blade has no bumps. The surface has no blemishes. (and right now has no paint) I'll have to make sure to get the seams sealed with paint.

I have found that the two airfoils do not match and have been slowly tweaking them to match and have the leading edges line up on a straight edge. (Have the Christmas carols running and have been working on cleaning up spare parts, replacement parts .....and the shop.)
Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
MrWzrd
BANNED

all the diagrams and drawings I have been able to come up with show the leading edge planar. They only form a bowl when pulling air. (like pulling collective in a helicopter)

Can you direct me to any reference?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

Before your next post becomes telling us about how your fan blade dis-integrated, took out your radiator and is now sticking thru the hood, REPLACE it with a new aluminum 2 blade fan available from any of the vendors. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

Listen to what Paul is saying.

With the cast aluminum fan blade and pulley assy. sold by Bratton's and Snyder's there is no reason to fool around with that old fan blade. Lots of talk on here about this do a search, I think that will tell the story! Otherwise you will be buying a new radiator, etc. etc.

I put one on last winter and it sure puts your mind at ease.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Before your next post becomes telling us about how your fan blade dis-integrated, took out your radiator and is now sticking thru the hood, REPLACE it with a new aluminum 2 blade fan available from any of the vendors. FWIW
Paul in CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Listen to what Paul is saying.

With the cast aluminum fan blade and pulley assy. sold by Bratton's and Snyder's there is no reason to fool around with that old fan blade. Lots of talk on here about this do a search, I think that will tell the story! Otherwise you will be buying a new radiator, etc. etc.

I put one on last winter and it sure puts your mind at ease.
Not so fast to condemn guys, if a fan is structurally sound, magnafluxed, and then balanced, why is this an issue to use them? IMO it is not. The issues is more about poor maintenance rather than all original fans.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
MrWzrd
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Not so fast to condemn guys, if a fan is structurally sound, magnafluxed, and then balanced, why is this an issue to use them? IMO it is not. The issues is more about poor maintenance rather than all original fans.
Thanks Brent, my sentiments exactly. (and I know we are not alone)

I know where they are coming from though. They are in the camp that does not understand preventive maintenance but waits for a part to fail before paying attention to it. I have made a lot of money off of them and so I'm not going to even comment.

I did do a bit of a "duh" when I read your post and magnafluxed the fan and it was fine. Why didn't I think of that......

(Now, that said... I may...down the road change this out to the one piece aluminum, now that I know it exists.)
Old 12-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

Brent and MrWzrd: I am, at this time running an orig late 31 fan, carefully inspected, only because the new alum one I tried to put on last summer wouldn't "fit" the shaft of the leakless w/pump probably installed in the late 80's and I'm too frugal (cheap) to replace the w/pump.
I don't think most people driving "drivers" do a detailed insp before going for a drive. I know I don't. Mine stays outside April til Nov uncovered, oil ck's when I think of it and a few gallons of gas each week. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
LopezCarguy

Don't remember where I got it but there was a great article written about fixing two blade fan, it included a template for a piece of steel that gets welded and folded over blades, I did one and would guess it will never brake, then I made a balancer with two hacksaw blades and a old water pump shaft...it works pretty good...have not installed fan on cars...scared too....Dick
LopezCarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Timberbeast

Had neighbor who had a early 30 tudor. The fan let loose took out 6 tubes in the radiator and came through the top of the hood scared him so bad he ran into something wiping out the front bumper and both front frnders.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
tbirdtbird
BANNED

what's your point; it was an original fan

thankfully he didn't hit a pedestrian.......