Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2021, 08:04 PM   #1
Jims52F1

Default Rookie help to remove engine

Wanting to pull EAB engine and transmission from my 52 F-1 and I am a first timer. My shop manual and parts books don’t give me enough detail on a couple of things so needing help please.

1. To disconnect clutch from transmission I see what looks like a pin with flat round top that connects clutch rod to side of transmission. Looking at
Bottom of pin it looks like may be broken off or possibly had some sort of expansion slot to keep it in place. Is this where I disconnect clutch and does this pin drive out. Pics attached from above and below.
2. What needs to be removed to release rear of transmission from rear motor mount? I see two bolts with capital nuts on the top with cotter keys. Do you remove those and it allows rear of transmission to be lifted from off motor mount or is there something else to take off?

Thanks for your help. You guys and gals are always awesome in sharing your knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jims52F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: Rookie help to remove engine

I am not a "late model" pickup person, but I can say for sure that the rear transmission mount will need to be replaced, as the rubber is disintegrating.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:12 AM   #3
FortyNiner

Disconnect the clutch equalizer shaft (the piece in the first pic) at the other end. There is a bracket with a bushing cup. Get your replacement bushing from vanpeltsales.com as the others are poor quality.

The Trans is held by a yoke easily accessed from the top. With the transmission cover removed from the floor, you'll see the connections. Unless you have the front clip off the truck, it may be easier to separate the transmission from the engine before removing.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
chap52

As stated, I would remove the transmission cover over "the hump" in the floorboard.
If you have the radiator (suggest you do) out and are going to be changing trans mounts I would pull the tranny with the engine.
Disconnect U-joint at rear and slide off output shaft of trans. Disconnect both clutch and shift linkage at trans. Unbolt engine from mounts. (Hidden bolt on these front mounts-to-block)
You can then clean things up, do a clean out of the trans, replace, if needed clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and TO housing get flywheel resurfaced and install it back on the engine (don't put new oil in tranny until it is back in the truck). Then you can slide the complete package back in together.
I am old and find this method easier than trying to line up everything to get the engine in place.
I have done this by myself a few times and I am still around. Enjoy the adventure... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
drolston

Again, no F1 experience, but for a car, the engine can come out without removing the whole front clip. Just the hood and radiator. But you will need a load leveler on your engine hoist, so the angle of the dangle can be adjusted pretty steep as the front of the engine passes over the grill and the transmission is still under the firewall.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #6
Jims52F1

I appreciate everyone’s responses. I do have the front clip off and intend to pull engine and tranny together. I still am not clear on how to free engine up from the rear mount. Do I just remove the two crown nuts on top which are visible from above with Tran cover removed? It appears to me that this holds a yoke down which encircles the end of the trans.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
FortyNiner

Do I just remove the two crown nuts on top which are visible from above with Tran cover removed? It appears to me that this holds a yoke down which encircles the end of the trans.

Yes.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims52F1 View Post
Do I just remove the two crown nuts on top which are visible from above with Tran cover removed?

Yes, REMOVE the two nuts (GOLD in this picture), and it will come straight up! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
Jims52F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
Disconnect the clutch equalizer shaft (the piece in the first pic) at the other end. There is a bracket with a bushing cup. Get your replacement bushing from vanpeltsales.com as the others are poor quality.

The Trans is held by a yoke easily accessed from the top. With the transmission cover removed from the floor, you'll see the connections. Unless you have the front clip off the truck, it may be easier to separate the transmission from the engine before removing.

FortyNiner, thanks for info on clutch equalizer shaft. Removed it today and bushing in the cup had completely worn through and was in 4 pieces. So glad I can replace this inexpensive part while I have removed! Appreciate all you guys and gals who take time to help!!!

Old 12-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims52F1 View Post
I appreciate everyone’s responses. I do have the front clip off and intend to pull engine and tranny together. I still am not clear on how to free engine up from the rear mount. Do I just remove the two crown nuts on top which are visible from above with Tran cover removed? It appears to me that this holds a yoke down which encircles the end of the trans.

Jim, so glad you pulled the front clip off. A good friend told me years ago he NEVER pulls engine/tranny or even just engine with the front clip on. It is easy and almost fun with it removed and a royal pain with it on. Never mid all the stuff you can clean, fix, lube and pait without all that tin in the way! Great to see a new member jumping in with both feet!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:12 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Again, no F1 experience, but for a car, the engine can come out without removing the whole front clip. Just the hood and radiator. But you will need a load leveler on your engine hoist, so the angle of the dangle can be adjusted pretty steep as the front of the engine passes over the grill and the transmission is still under the firewall.

Ya don't have to remove nothin' but maybe a radiator to get the engine out, as "Mart" proves here! Just quit talkin' about it and get 'er done! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote