Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2023, 06:55 PM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default Bville intake

Sometimes things don't work the way you think they should, Developing this manifold, I inlisted the help of my grand sm Ben, He was studding "Solid works: so we came up with some numbers that could be easiely be changed to follow the air floe using the computers flow at 20" inches Vac we mad aover afew dizen shapes. Some Good shapes were beyond my ability to make them. Posting is a problme for me but i got this on our in just a few minutes, I will post the one we decided on and the results of the finished product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg port-1 spacer turbulence2.jpg (56.0 KB, 253 views)
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:23 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Bville intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Sometimes things don't work the way you think they should, Developing this manifold, I inlisted the help of my grand sm Ben, He was studding "Solid works: so we came up with some numbers that could be easiely be changed to follow the air floe using the computers flow at 20" inches Vac we mad aover afew dizen shapes. Some Good shapes were beyond my ability to make them. Posting is a problme for me but i got this on our in just a few minutes, I will post the one we decided on and the results of the finished product.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:47 PM   #3
cas3

I am not an expert engine builder, but I always thought the problem with Ford flatheads was getting air thru the block, not a problem with intake manifolds. The more knowledgeable folks will chime in from here
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 11:42 PM   #4
Ol' Ron

Well, I think your right, almost, Most stree intakes make poor race, or preformance intakes as they are in some cases just estic. However the Offy 1076 is one of the best. WE used them with 2gc an late for truck carbs on the Hydro engine. And there are probably others. With that all said the top engines at Bvill usually make a special one, as it only has to work right at the top end. Working with JWL and my drandson we came uo with the next version. I'll post them tomorrow. Might need sone help
Gramps
Old 12-14-2023, 10:39 AM   #5
19Fordy

Thanks Ron for posting your research findings.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:28 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

Ol'Ron >>Some Good shapes were beyond my ability to make them.>>>

What your grandson's simulation might be trying to point out is that a small diameter nearly straight pipe might actually flow better than a big fat bendy port by eliminating most that big turbulent dead zone and backflows presumably caused by that big fat 90° elbow. You should be able to make a straighter port out of tubing or sheet metal that'll fit inside that big bendy port Ol'Ron. You can do it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg straigher.jpg (60.0 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Jack E/NJ; 12-14-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:43 PM   #7
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
You should be able to make a straighter port out of tubing or sheet metal that'll fit inside that big bendy port Ol'Ron. You can do it.[/SIZE][/FONT] :
Ron Main and a couple others already did that several years ago.
It works keen.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:42 PM   #8
Ol' Ron

This was just the first of many computer models to find the best one. Also I had to make it when we did, some times that was beyond my capable hands. However, The computer programing was much faster. Ben could make small corrections just to see what happpened to flow/ Before I started frabracating we made dozens of these. I'm putting that together now.
Gramps
PS I really appreciate the help I get from others that can inlarge the photos. This makes it easier for others to see the details.
G