Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
Terry Wilkerson

Default Aluminum radiator 1950 Ford Custom

Looks like o need a new radiator. Anyone recommend an aluminum radiator 3 or 4 row? Shoebox central has them for $800.0
plus. Seems like a lot. Several on net for around $360.00. Frostbite is one, Champion has a 2 row. Any help would be appreciated.
Terry Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:28 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Aluminum radiator 1950 Ford Custom

When selecting an aluminum radiator, focus on tube size. The cooling fin contact on the side of the tube transfers the heat from the water. The larger the tube, the more fin contact. A number of radiators offer a 1" tube, some offer 1 1/4" tubes. Two larger tubes are more efficient than three 5/8" tubes.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 10:27 AM   #3
wga

I've had a US Radiator aluminum for 10 years, no issues. Just checked the cost and
they're in the same price range.

https://usradiator.com/product/ford-...minum-radiator
Old 11-12-2023, 12:51 PM   #4
joe 1950

Just my opinion i bought a Champion 3 row aluminum from Jegs about 8 years ago it fit perfectly excellent workmanship they have them for under $300.00 put it in my 50 cpe dropped the engine temperature also
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #5
1948F-1Pickup

I'm definitely NOT an aluminum radiator aficionado.
Although not the truck, I had a stupidly expensive Fluidyne aluminum radiator in one of my Mustangs..... for about 2 weeks. I ended up going back to a copper/brass unit, just like I had before. That was my reality. And it was a four row in line copper brass core at that, which is supposedly not the hot ticket as far as core designs. Everything went back to "normal" after I ditched the aluminum item though.
The aluminum unit had the "best" core construction and all the other details that supposedly make them so great. It was not so great though. Vehicle ran too hot on the track and too hot in general. This was not a situation where you want things running at 200+ degrees, like is the engine operating environment common with cars these days.
On the truck, I re-cored the original tanks with a copper/brass unit. No surprises on that deal. About 165 degrees on a 50 degree ambient temp day in the winter and about 195 max when it's 120 outside in the summer. Almost needs a swap to something higher than 180-degree thermostats for the winter....
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #6
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wilkerson View Post
Looks like o need a new radiator. Anyone recommend an aluminum radiator 3 or 4 row? Shoebox central has them for $800.0
plus. Seems like a lot. Several on net for around $360.00. Frostbite is one, Champion has a 2 row. Any help would be appreciated.

Like most topics, opinions vary. Aluminum would not be my first choice for a radiator in my car, do I have a specific reason,... not really. I do have the radiator from Shoebox Central you mention. It is BRASS, 4 row, US made, and it is awesome. Just saying.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote