Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2023, 02:05 PM   #1
DNLs1930

Default '50 3 speed with overdrive question

New to me 1950 Custom 3 speed w/ overdrive and 239ci V8 and my question is about what I think are transmission clicking noises which seem to be RPM specific (shift points maybe).

The basic question is something along the lines of; inside the transmission are there centrifugal latches or other RPM sensitive items which allow the transmission to function correctly.

These clicking noises are very consistent and absolutely feel and sound like transmission noises.
Thanks in advance for any knowledge/ ideas you might have.
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 02:27 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: '50 3 speed with overdrive question

The overdrive relay will click when the governor closes the relay and again when the relay disengages. I think these will be the only normal clicks you should hear.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 06:27 PM   #3
38 coupe

Are the clicks once while speeding up and once while slowing down, or consistent while driving at a steady speed?
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:19 PM   #4
Joe B.

My '50 with O/d makes no clicking noises. Here is a link to the operation with trouble shooting. http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/...riveManual.pdf
Old 10-06-2023, 11:57 PM   #5
rotorwrench

As was mentioned, the only click would be when the operating solenoid is energized. A person may not hear a click when it drops out. The governor switch kicks in at approximately 25 mph on the way into OD and drops out at around 23 mph when slowing down. When a person floors the throttle pedal, the ignition coil is momentarily switched off until the solenoid drops out for passing. The dash relay is small and likely would not be audible when it clicks.

The operating solenoid has two stages of function. When it pops out during engagement, it first operates off the main coil which has a pretty good chunk of force to it. Once it gets to the point of full engagement, one of the two sets of points kicks in the holding coil that just has enough force to keep it fully engaged. This way it uses less current after the shift into overdrive. When it drops out, there is more of a thud than a click so it's generally not as loud.

The transmission is going to make a noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd but the synchronizer makes the 3rd gear shift fairly quiet. Shifting into reverse not only slides the low/reverse gear back but it also pushes back the lock out rod & fork so it might make a click that is audible.

These transmissions have by far more moving parts than a standard 3-speed so if something goes bad in the planetary or overrunning clutch then there could be all sorts of noises going on. Same goes for the gear box section.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:45 AM   #6
pistonbroke

Ditto what rotor said. I had one that sounded louder and more like a click, come to find out the solenoid bolts were coming loose. I love these OD units and have and had them in anything I could put them in. A 33.3% over drive with the passing gear the is the bomb! Keep us posted. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:14 AM   #7
Als48

Someone more knowledgable than me might have consider causes along this line. Could it be the solenoid plunger engaging prematurely on the spinning sprag clutch? Spring or whatever holds it out until the governor should enable it to engage might have failed? There's also a certain way to insert the solenoid plunger, too that might cause this symptom.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:10 AM   #8
DNLs1930

Thanks for all the info and the PDF is much appreciated!!! You all have provided enough help to know that what I'm hearing is normal operation of the transmission. A single click is heard accelerating as well as decelerating so all spot on info. My car does like to pop out of second gear but other than that drives like a charm!!
THANKS AGAIN!!!
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote