Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2023, 11:18 PM   #21
Joeyv

Default Re: 1950 Merc Overdrive

My 49 Mercury had a problem with the BW overdrive. When I would step on the gas pedal to engage the kick down switch, the engine would shut off. I used the manual I got from Fifth avenue garage to troubleshoot. I determined that the problem was probably a short in the solenoid. I sent the solenoid to Randy Gross, who repaired it. After that it worked fine. my 49 is setup with 12v. I’m not sure if Randy is still repairing overdrives, but his number is (714) 292-8660. I hope this helps. And BTW, I replaced the wiring harnesses with those I purchased from C&G old Ford parts. Good folks. Michael Driskell is in Tennessee and can probably provide the wiring too. Also good people.

Last edited by Joeyv; 01-17-2023 at 11:23 PM. Reason: I left out that I replaced wiring and suggested where to purchase it
Joeyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:05 PM   #22
drgoetz

Default Re: 1950 Merc Overdrive

rj
Sorry to hear about your dad...hope all is well.

Still have not been under the car to checkout the OD, however, I did find that the OD handle is now connected to the carb and used for the chock.
The car runs great but while I was out driving I snapped the speedometer cable so I'll have to go under the car.

Last edited by drgoetz; 01-22-2023 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
drgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)