Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2022, 03:07 PM   #1
cars2cool

Default 8BA distributor questions

I just cleaned up this old dog of a distributor for the '53 F100 project. Let's start with the tag...Why are some red and others black? To the left side of the FoMoCo emblem, this one is stamped 2H...What does that decipher to? Holley manufacturer? I can not make out the prefix to the 12127 number printed to the right of the FoMoCo emblem...to badly worn. On the side of the cast iron housing "7RA 12131-C" is cast into the housing. Does the 7RA make it a 1949-1950 distributor? On the other side of the housing is another mark that is not legible and a 4 cast in the housing. I hope the pictures help? I don't feel any side to side wear of the shaft in the housing. The lobes look like they are worn. When matching the distributor to the carburetor, what is actually being matched? The size of the carburetor venturi to the vacuum diaphragm on the distributor? As always...thank you in advance for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3826.jpg (44.1 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3825.jpg (36.8 KB, 237 views)
cars2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:15 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 8BA distributor questions

There may be a diference in tags based on wether the distributer has the extended shaft for the aluminum timing cover or the cast iron cover and whether or not the distributer is for a Ford or a Mercury engine.

The information on this Google search will help you discern differences.
https://www.google.com/search?q=7ra+...client=gws-wiz
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:16 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars2cool View Post
I just cleaned up this old dog of a distributor for the '53 F100 project. Let's start with the tag...Why are some red and others black? To the left side of the FoMoCo emblem, this one is stamped 2H...What does that decipher to? Holley manufacturer? I can not make out the prefix to the 12127 number printed to the right of the FoMoCo emblem...to badly worn. On the side of the cast iron housing "7RA 12131-C" is cast into the housing. Does the 7RA make it a 1949-1950 distributor? On the other side of the housing is another mark that is not legible and a 4 cast in the housing. I hope the pictures help? I don't feel any side to side wear of the shaft in the housing. The lobes look like they are worn. When matching the distributor to the carburetor, what is actually being matched? The size of the carburetor venturi to the vacuum diaphragm on the distributor? As always...thank you in advance for the help.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:19 AM   #4
tubman

Here's what you need to know about 8BA distributors and timing covers. Obviously, the distributor should (and sometimes must) match the timing cover. I believe the extended shaft distributors are Mercury. Thanks to "V8 Bob" on the H.A.M.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timing covers 1.jpg (45.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Timing covers 2.jpg (43.6 KB, 66 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
cars2cool

Is the timing mark that raised bump that is noticeable on cover C in the first photo? Or is it the mark at about the 10 o'clock position above the shaft seal area? And I am going to guess the cover A is for the aluminum housing distributor with the different looking drive gear.

Last edited by cars2cool; 02-22-2022 at 12:00 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 02-22-2022, 12:38 PM   #6
tubman

The timing pointer goes into the hole at 7 o'clock on the circular raised area of the timing cover. You will notice that there are two different positions for inserting the timing pointer. I have an aluminum cover that is stamped "8BA" next to the inner hole and "8RT" next to the outer hole. I've never had a truck, but I would imagine that they had larger pulleys on the crankshaft.

Last edited by tubman; 02-22-2022 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Add quotes on "8RT"
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:47 PM   #7
Ross F-1

The 7RA casting number indicates it is an earlier (than '53) housing, but that doesn't identify the internals. Not really much difference between trucks from 48 - 53 other than the lengths already pointed out. Specs below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distributors 239 Flat.jpg (19.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Distributor advance 239 Flat.jpg (79.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-22-2022, 03:06 PM   #8
1952henry

From my experience, it is very vague as to what tag is correct. I have 2 different 8RT engines that both have cast iron 7RA tagged distributors. More examples would be more accurate, but am thinking items were used up regardless of what manual said was on a particular engine by year.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Holley likely didn't manufacture all the parts for the load-o-matic systems. Ford may have made them and possibly others as well.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #10
cars2cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
The 7RA casting number indicates it is an earlier (than '53) housing, but that doesn't identify the internals. Not really much difference between trucks from 48 - 53 other than the lengths already pointed out. Specs below.
In the first picture the factory literature states the '50-'53 F series trucks use 8ba-6059-c front cover 4. On the back side of my dist. is a number 4 cast in the housing. Which one of the covers is the number 4 cover? I looked at a slew of covers currently listed on ebay this afternoon. Noticed a few variations like in the other post pics. Thanks for the info from the factory lit. on tuning differences.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:49 PM   #11
cars2cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The timing pointer goes into the hole at 7 o'clock on the circular raised area of the timing cover. You will notice that there are two different positions for inserting the timing pointer. I have an aluminum cover that is stamped "8BA" next to the inner hole and "8RT" next to the outer hole. I've never had a truck, but I would imagine that they had larger pulleys on the crankshaft.
Found this last night on another Ford flathead site. " '48-'53 truck / '49 Ford-Merc cars use large diameter wide belt sheet metal crank pulleys. And use covers with the pointer positioned higher than the cast iron small diameter narrow belt pulleys. Alloy covers allow the pointer to be placed high or low." " 2 styles of late distributors: 1) full bodied cast iron used with iron or alloy covers. 2) short bodied alloy with extended shaft used only with alloy front cover with the lower support."
Old 02-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #12
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars2cool View Post
In the first picture the factory literature states the '50-'53 F series trucks use 8ba-6059-c front cover 4. On the back side of my dist. is a number 4 cast in the housing. Which one of the covers is the number 4 cover? I looked at a slew of covers currently listed on ebay this afternoon. Noticed a few variations like in the other post pics. Thanks for the info from the factory lit. on tuning differences.
The number 4 in my pic refers to a Distributor Catalog figure, it's not part of the p/n. The pic below shows the different covers and the two types of distributors. The distributor on the right goes with "A" cover, having the lower support bushing. 2nd pic shows how to identify the bushing type from the front. Last pic shows the two pointer locations.

You can use any of covers B, C, D with your distributor (cast iron or aluminum).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timing covers-1.jpg (54.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Support Bushing front cover-1a.jpg (31.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Timing Cover pins.jpg (46.7 KB, 15 views)