Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
William Kelchner

Default Seafoam

How much Seafoam to half a tank of gas? Thanks
William Kelchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Seafoam

I use a can for every 20 gallons. I put one half can in every fill-up of the Model A's. My mechanic who does not believe in the additives admits he can see a difference ! At the end of the season just before storage I add a full can to the last fill up. I recently got 2 of the A's out of storage and they each started in the first couple turns of the engine. Maybe not for everyone but it sure works for me.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
William Kelchner

Thanks Wayne.

Bill K
Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I'm also not much for a lot of the additives, but Sea Foam is one that really worked for me.
I also like MMO and add 4 oz. per 10 gallons in the Model A and all my small engines.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
BlueSunoco

SeaFoam is on sale this week at Farm and Fleet, $6.29/bottle.

I use it but a mechanic friend always says to me "If you pee in the Atlantic Ocean in New York, can they tell in London?' His point is, in a 15 or 20 gallon tank of gas that 16 ounces of additive won't do much. He says to run the tank almost dry then overdose it, run the motor THEN fill up.

Almost makes sense. But I still do like you guys.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
William Kelchner

Thanks Blue Sonoco - I was sort of leaning that way myself. I'm down to 1/4 tank at the moment so I'll give it a good swig before I fill the tank.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If you use the BlueSunoco approach, Be prepared to rid your neighborhood of birds and squirrels ! When you start it up you won't be able to find the Ford for blue smoke ! That is from my personal experience ! I also got the identical result from overdosing with Marvel a Mystery Zoil !
Wayne
Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
peters180a/170b

My 250 Ford pickup has a stuck gas float in the tank. Must drop the tank to put a new sending unit in.. Some people say SEAFOAM might fix it... I put 4 cans in with 1/2 a tank [about 17 gallons] .. Nope ,,,no work... but i still use it once a month.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I'm also not much for a lot of the additives, but Sea Foam is one that really worked for me.
I also like MMO and add 4 oz. per 10 gallons in the Model A and all my small engines.
Pardon my ignorant question but add additives to the gasoline? MMO does what? And SeaFoam does?

thanks,

Mike
Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Willie Krash

Not being a chemist I do believe in additives. Back in the 60's I had a sticky valve on a 36 horse VW engine. My boss, who rebuilt the engine after listening to me bitch about having to pull over and use a screw driver to pop the valve said put 4oz MMO until it breaks in.....He was right. On a type II (bus) I always used MMO. I sold that bus and the guy that brought it asked how can #3 cyl, have the same compression as the rest. MMO I replied.
For those that don't know the oil cooler blocks air to #3 cylinder.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Pardon my ignorant question but add additives to the gasoline? MMO does what? And SeaFoam does?

thanks,

Mike
Cleveland, Ohio
Mike there are some amazing threads on MMO on the Barn. Do a search for Marvel Mystery Oil. My A starts and runs but it doesn't idle or run smoothly. However, with the addition of 4 oz of MMO per 10 gallons, the car runs smooth as does the '97 F250, the Hondas, emergency GenSets and lawn tractor. I only used it in gas and use it in everything.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
John Duden

i use seafoam heavilly in the classic tractors, i dump a can every time i fill them up with gas , and go and work the snot out of them, (usually plow). i tired something kinda crude with the G john Deere. it has the daul fuel tanks one for gas and the other for powerfuel. I had a couple of gallons of old gas so i dumped it in, and then dumped in 2 gallons of used motor oil, gallon and ahalf of kerosene and a bottle of seaform. got it warmed up to 180 degrees and then switched the tanks over, MAN DID I HAVE POWER!! i could plow in road gear with a 3 bottom plow!!!!!! i went from 38 hp to 54 Horse power!!
john
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #13
springerpete

Like Mike, I am curious as to what seafoam does. Is it an anti-alcohol product or something else ? Appreciate some thoughts.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:28 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
Like Mike, I am curious as to what seafoam does. Is it an anti-alcohol product or something else ? Appreciate some thoughts.
In the 80's I bought a nice Olds Cutlass Supreme real cheap because the engine sounded so bad. It sounded like rod knock, but turned out to be stuck hydraulic tappets clacking away. I put a can of Sea Foam in the oil, and before I drove the 5 miles back home from the auto parts store, the engine was quiet as new.

You can also put it in the gas for over the winter storage.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
mshmodela

I saw seaforms video from their website.... appears amazing stuff.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #16
nhusa

OK you have convinced me!

I am going on a NH seacoast tour (all 15 miles) this weekend in my T.
I'll stop at the beach and see if I can get some seafoam.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #17
Patrick L.

Sea-foam is great stuff. I don't believe in additives, unless needed. Dosage, .5 oz/gl for maintenance, 1 oz/gl for cleaning. But, heavy heavy doses will not hurt. I've been using it for 40 years and was skeptical, but, became a believer quickly. I buy it by the gallon.
I have a motorbike with 6 carburetors and very small low jets which varnish very quickly with this crap gas we are forced to use. Sea-foam solves those issues. I don't like Sea-foam in the oil, but, others do.
MMO is more of a lubricant than a cleaner I think. I know some that swear by it.
As old school as I am, if I want a oil system cleaner, I still use ATF. Remember the days of sludgy sticky hydraulic lifters ? ATF to the rescue. We also used AFT in the fuel on engines that weren't operated very often as an upper end lubricant.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Duffy1

At the risk of getting berated I am going to post the following .
All these additives wash the lubrication off the cylinder walls per a study posted here about a year ago. If they clean the valves they will clean the cylinder walls of lubrication . Not good
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Sea-foam is great stuff. I don't believe in additives, unless needed. Dosage, .5 oz/gl for maintenance, 1 oz/gl for cleaning. But, heavy heavy doses will not hurt. I've been using it for 40 years and was skeptical, but, became a believer quickly. I buy it by the gallon.
I have a motorbike with 6 carburetors and very small low jets which varnish very quickly with this crap gas we are forced to use. Sea-foam solves those issues. I don't like Sea-foam in the oil, but, others do.
MMO is more of a lubricant than a cleaner I think. I know some that swear by it.
As old school as I am, if I want a oil system cleaner, I still use ATF. Remember the days of sludgy sticky hydraulic lifters ? ATF to the rescue. We also used AFT in the fuel on engines that weren't operated very often as an upper end lubricant.
Please advise where you purchase it by the gallon. I have many cars and it would indeed be a substantial cost savings to me.
Thanks, Wayne
Old 05-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
Bobs29ModelA

As Patrick L. said, I remember back in the mid '70's when I was studying Automotive Technology at my local junior college... and our instructor was an experienced automotive and marine/diesel mechanic of 30-plus years.

To this day, I vividly remember him telling us how great it was to put one quart of ATF into your engine's crankcase, to four quarts of your engine oil... because it would help keep your engine clean, especially your valve lifters (since it helped remove any varnish build-up). I remember him telling us that it was essentially a 10-weight viscosity, so it couldn't hurt anything either! So, I did that for years, in my '63 Nova and (later) in my '70 Nova... and can honestly say that I never did have any issues with a sticking lifter!
Bobs29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote