Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Jembow

Default Drake/Chassis Eng anti-sway bar on 35 coupe

I said I would report back. I got both front and rear kits, but Jim Turnbull at RoyalKustoms held on to the tube shocks from the rear (and reduced the price) as he knew they wouldn't fit.

So I fitted the front with no real problem, although I regret drilling out the frame rivet as suggested - Henry put rivets in for a reason and with hindsight I could have repositioned the bracket to avoid this. Also the head of the rivet wants to hang on to the frame even when drilled out and there is no room to get a hammer and chisel to it with the engine & radiator in place, so I had to use a longer bolt.

This isn't really an anti-sway bar, I would call it an anti-roll bar. An anti-sway to my mind is a panhard rod. My problem at the rear was the shocks touching the tyres as the car rocked; I wasn't sure this kit would solve that. I am running English Armstrong lever arm shocks (as used on MGB rears)as no one rebuilds Houdailles in the UK: they are a direct bolt-on replacement for Model A & V8 shocks, but they sit on the outside of the frame - the originals sit inside.

The 35 axle doesn't allow the tube shock to be fitted and the anti-sway bar looked likely to foul the lever shocks. Years ago my wife had an English Ford 1172cc Popular with a full aftermarket handing kit. I still have those bits so I made brackets to mount the panhard rod on the V8 rear. Any criticisms or comments appreciated.

I managed a short test-drive, handling and steering is much improved. When we are allowed to go anywhere, I look forward to enjoying the drive.

Can't get my photos to load, so have a look at them on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oldefu...57713846456883
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Drake/Chassis Eng anti-sway bar on 35 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jembow View Post
I said I would report back.

This isn't really an anti-sway bar, I would call it an anti-roll bar. An anti-sway to my mind is a panhard rod.

It has been repeatedly difficult for SOME folks to understand the difference, as well as the importance of using correct nomenclature. What you did accomplish looks great. Appreciate you sharing with us! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote