Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Mechanic

So, here's the ace mechanic off to help a friend. I have this new acquisition so why not take it? Since it's new to me and doesn't have OD I will drive the back roads for about a 30 mile trip. Tools in the shoe box, spent all my money on cars so can't afford a tool box, but I'm off to be of assistance. Well, not quite. A couple of miles down the road he feels like it he's on a steep hill, though it is flat, spews a little water and as I pull to the curb it backfires and dies. Get the hook to take us home and tear into the problems. Since all gas problems are usually electrical I pull the distributor and check it out after finding the timing retarded slightly, Clean the plugs, points are at .020 and retime and that is fine for now. Even made sure that it has a good ground. Now he idles wonderfully, just as before, but gently let the clutch out a bit, backfires and dies. Same O same O.

Overheating seemed to be a radiator problem so pulled it and went to the radiator shop. Mario tells me it has to be recored. I tell him to try to save it. When I get home he calls and says it still has to be recored so there goes that problem, solved $$$.

Off with the carburetor and do a thorough cleaning and have a look at the gross valve. Seems okay to me so put it all back together and do a half minute test so as not to get it too hot. (Radiator is still with Mario.) Still pops and dies as soon as I let the clutch engage and try to move at all. Idles great.

Talk to a friend that is smart and he tells me about electrical things and also that gross valves aren't always foolproof. Tells me to pull the cap off the bottom of the carb and find out if I'm getting good fuel flow, being aware that even if it doesn't work I'll get fuel until the carb is empty. So I do all that and sure enough, as soon as the carb has drained there is no longer any fuel flow.

Good, I have some more valves and it wont take long to cure this. But wait, there is more. I suddenly realize I had left the fuel shut off in the off mode during my clever test. I open that a gas runs happily onto my drip pan. Close it and tomorrow will be spent checking voltages and polarity around the system.

Good night,
The Ace Mechanic (Confused)
To be continued
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: Mechanic

LOL. Get a good nights sleep Ace. Tomorrow will be a better day.
That's some funny stuff there.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
1930-Pickup

You had me worried about the Grose-Jet Valve . Never seen or heard of a failure. Not even when I converted a left-over Grose-Jet to work on my 1925 Dodge Brothers using a Stromberg OD-1 carb..it never failed.

So after you successfully diagnose and repair the issue, if it has anything to do with the Grose-Jet, please don't tell me.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 AM   #4
cpf240

Battery cable shorting when the pedals are moved?
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:23 AM   #5
Rex_A_Lott

I think at one point or another, we have all tried to wean the car off that nasty old gas, only to find it won't cooperate. Better luck tomorrow!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:48 AM   #6
kenparker

Sounds just like one of my "off to help a friend" episodes. My troubles usually turn out to be more trouble than the friend. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
Great Lakes Greg

"...all gas problems are usually electrical...". That was funny enough to spit my coffee all over the keyboard.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
jb-ob

1930Pickup; Rule # 1, Never say never in front of these cars. Their very existence is to keep us humble !

Gross Jets Fail. Park a running car for a month only to have no start problem. Seemed the little ball gummed itself to it's base, stopping all gas from the tank into the carb.

Ace Mechanic; 'Just a couple of tools & I'll be a hero to my buddy.'

Now we have two broken cars and a x-friend who thinks you stiffed him !

Never under estimate these cars from knowing just when to bite.

Certainly keeps it interesting, JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
Brentwood Bob

Did you get any advice from the previous owner?
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

condenser.............................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
Synchro909

Even though you say you cleaned the carby, did you make sure there is no junk in the main jet? When I got a new (to me) car a while ago, it behaved just as you describe. I found a small piece of crud in the main jet. Cleaned it out and haven't stopped since.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Even though you say you cleaned the carby, did you make sure there is no junk in the main jet? When I got a new (to me) car a while ago, it behaved just as you describe. I found a small piece of crud in the main jet. Cleaned it out and haven't stopped since.
Yea electrical wouldn't be effected by engine load unless like mentioned above some wire or main battery cable is rubbed thru. The idle circuit of the carb sounds OK but has no extra oomph when the load increases it needs more fuel it aint got. Does pulling the choke out when it starts bogging affect anything? It should help if youve got fuel issue.

Ive had lawnmowers behave as OP describes - usually crud in the fuel system. Ive ran them in a pinch using cardboard covering the air intake to act like a choke valve.