Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
DHZIEMAN

Smile 1930 Model A Ford Oily Leak from Head Gasket

My "Recently purchased" 1930 Model A has a strange issue at the head gasket! I noted recently that an oily substance appears to be leaking from the head gasket (on the drivers side at the front to the middle of the head), after running hard for about 45 min. I have checked the torque on the head bolts and all are at or slightly over 50 Ft lbs, so I don't want to tighten them any more. I recently replaced the radiator and also fresh Antifreeze and the residue is not Antifreeze! I am not aware of any oil feeds to the head so this is peculiar to me! Any thoughts from anyone is a appreciated! Also this is just a good ole standard model A, no high compression head!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: 1930 Model A Ford Oily Leak from Head Gasket

It is combustion by product,or creosote.Might have a little bit of anti-freeze in it,Your head gasket is just a little weepy.I don't think I've ever fixed a leak by a retorque,if it leaks it has worn away gasket material and will soon leak again.When you retorque did you back the nut off before you torqued it?Just because you put a torque wrench on it and it won't move at 50 LBS doesn't mean it is really 50 LBS.Put your torque wrench on,note the position of the handle,back it off a half turn or so,then tighten it again with one uninterrupted motion to the torque you want.See how far you went beyond the original starting position.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
DHZIEMAN

Keith;

Thanks! Strangely, I should know better. My dad was a mechanic and taught me lots and he taught me exactly what you suggested on torque of head bolts. At 77 years I think I am slowing down a bit. This model a sat in an insurance office, I think for years. It is cosmetically, what I call a "20 footer"! I was told it had been overhauled! That always kind of scares me! The list of things I have had to do to get this thing kind of roadworthy, goes from checking toe in at 7/8th of inch, fixing that, and moving on to a number of things. Thank you for your help and comments!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
This model A sat in an insurance office, I think for years. It is cosmetically, what I call a "20 footer"!
We like pictures!! Love them Fordors. (see Avatar)
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Redbird

I had the exact same thing, so my Model A group made changing the head gasket a group clinic. Problem solved!
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
DHZIEMAN

Pictures comming!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
I had the exact same thing, so my Model A group made changing the head gasket a group clinic. Problem solved!
Wish the clinic was here! Anyway, my clinic will involve my 16 year old grand son and I having a fun filled few hours together.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
DHZIEMAN

Found two guys that put together a head gasket replacement video. It is in two parts but I have only put up the first! Once Part 1 completes the video goes on to part 2! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QCR-ypFuew
Old 12-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
It is combustion by product,or creosote.Might have a little bit of anti-freeze in it,Your head gasket is just a little weepy.I don't think I've ever fixed a leak by a retorque,if it leaks it has worn away gasket material and will soon leak again.When you retorque did you back the nut off before you torqued it?Just because you put a torque wrench on it and it won't move at 50 LBS doesn't mean it is really 50 LBS.Put your torque wrench on,note the position of the handle,back it off a half turn or so,then tighten it again with one uninterrupted motion to the torque you want.See how far you went beyond the original starting position.
Keith
Took your advice, loosened and re tightened all head bolt nuts. Used a crows foot on the one by the distrbutor. Amazing how much further the nuts got clocked by re tigtening! I cranked them to 55 ft lbs. Cleaned up all the residue, creosote oily stuff with some carb cleaner, started the old girl up, got it good and hot and the oozing has stopped! I appreciate your help! Will monitor results for while, still feel the head gasket is on borrowed time!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Anyway, my clinic will involve my 16 year old grand son and I having a fun filled few hours together.
That's the BEST PART!!!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Found two guys that put together a head gasket replacement video. It is in two parts but I have only put up the first! Once Part 1 completes the video goes on to part 2! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QCR-ypFuew
You need to watch this video also.

https://youtu.be/5ae4NDjHr4Y