Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
old car guy

Default Hurricane Mathews landing

Looks like it's going to hit Melbourne or the Kennedy space ports as of right now as a cat 4 hurricane. Hope all the model A folks a have safe guarded their cars .this storm is really a monster and is going to tear up a lot of cars houses and people lives as well. I am in Tampa and we are expected to get winds of tropical force between 39 to 70 mph. The folks on the east coast are looking up to 160 mph plus. Hope to God all took the time to evacuate as was told to everyone for the last week.
Everyone in this monsters path need to be watching closely what's going on with the storm and be ready to hunker down in a safe place hopefully well out of the storms reach. Best wishes to all in its path
Old 10-07-2016, 01:16 AM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Hurricane Mathews landing

yea after being around unpredictable tornados all my life (summer is one big constant tornado watch) if we had a week to prepare you bet id get the heck outa dodge. Usually have a few minutes to 20 seconds of warning. So used to it unfortunately hear sirens open front door to look....

Houses and thhings can be replaced - people cant. Hopefully everyone's safe down that way!
Old 10-07-2016, 01:22 AM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Just heard 300 dead in South Haiti.

Experience shows many who "want" to stay and not heed warnings are often inexperienced, uninformed, don't care, on drugs, drunk, stupid, lazy, retarded, and sometimes all of the above.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
Nabco

Just saw on the news it kind of took a right turn by Cape Canaveral so the east coast of Florida may not get hit as bad
Old 10-07-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Missed us although I could have used a new roof.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Missed us although I could have used a new roof.
Don't roofs get depreciated for age on an insurance claim???
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

on a recent trip to Haiti an old timer summed it up when he said " a hurricane mon has no conscience, it just destroys everything in its path, so I make sure I not get in its way mon " . I got his message loud and clear. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mitch,

In your question, "Don't roofs get "depreciated' for "age" on an insurance claim???",

we should be careful to whom we pose this question because it could spark new ideas.

For example, maybe as early as next year they could force we seniors to get "depreciated" for "age" on our Life Insurance Claims to help pay for the increasing failure of their ridiculous, mandatory health insurance. LOL
Old 10-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Mitch,

In your question, "Don't roofs get "depreciated' for "age" on an insurance claim???",

we should be careful to whom we pose this question because it could spark new ideas.

For example, maybe as early as next year they could force we seniors to get "depreciated" for "age" on our Life Insurance Claims to help pay for the increasing failure of their ridiculous, mandatory health insurance. LOL
lol you already do, theres a reason your life insurance policy costs 20X more than a 20 year olds
Old 10-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #10
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Don't roofs get depreciated for age on an insurance claim???
Five or six years ago we had a horrible hail storm in our area, of the 150 or so houses just in our subdivision 95% of them got new roofs covered by insurance....all these roofs were 20 plus years old. At the time I had a $100 deductible on my insurance so that's all it cost me. I think the only thing that has changed is the deductible is now a percentage of your total loss coverage, so if your house is valued at $100K your deductible is $1K, 10%.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Sea,

When we wait to obtain Life Insurance, later in life, it cost more, and most realize it entails Depreciation.

But we should be aware that insurance salesmen usually use a different term when we obtain Life Insurance later in Life ......... insurance salesmen call it Appreciation.

Just hope this helps we seniors to be mindful of words ending in "tion."
Old 10-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Sea,

When we wait to obtain Life Insurance, later in life, it cost more, and most realize it entails Depreciation.

But we should be aware that insurance salesmen usually use a different term when we obtain Life Insurance later in Life ......... insurance salesmen call it Appreciation.

Just hope this helps we seniors to be mindful of words ending in "tion."
haha true, dont forget theres only 3 for sure things in life: death, taxes, and twinkies and spam will outlive you. yet ironically if all you eat is twinkies and spam your gonna meet the first one quicker...
Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

They said on the radio this morning that looters would be a big problem in the evacuated areas. They usually are according to the news guy.

When Washington, Ill. got clobbered three years ago by that monster F-4 tornado there was no shortage of low life's coming in to help themselves. The Ill. State Police were there in force to help the homeowners. Some of the scams that resulted even later on were crazy.

At least here in Illinois we don't have to deal with the salty sea water. That would be a nightmare. And, the odds of a tornado actually leveling your house are not really all that great. They do weird things, often skip over or around you and tag the neighbors.

There's a Model A Club down there as far as I know no Model A's got hit. Several collectible 60's era cars but no Model A's.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
haha true, dont forget theres only 3 for sure things in life: death, taxes, and twinkies and spam will outlive you. yet ironically if all you eat is twinkies and spam your gonna meet the first one quicker...
And don't forget McDonald's hamburger and fries!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

LOOTERS & DRUG DEALERS should be SHOT on SIGHT!!!
Bill Stern
Old 10-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
Skibb

We got the hurricane in Jupiter but dodged the Worse. Only a fence torn down. The A's were protected in the garage, F150 outside but no problem. Gusts here only to 84.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #17
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
They said on the radio this morning that looters would be a big problem in the evacuated areas. They usually are according to the news guy.

When Washington, Ill. got clobbered three years ago by that monster F-4 tornado there was no shortage of low life's coming in to help themselves. The Ill. State Police were there in force to help the homeowners. Some of the scams that resulted even later on were crazy.

At least here in Illinois we don't have to deal with the salty sea water. That would be a nightmare. And, the odds of a tornado actually leveling your house are not really all that great. They do weird things, often skip over or around you and tag the neighbors.

There's a Model A Club down there as far as I know no Model A's got hit. Several collectible 60's era cars but no Model A's.
The thing we have here, post hurricane, is theft of gensets in the middle of the night. We chain and lock with a shotgun handy at the door. Mathew was my 4th here.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #18
Ken Anderson

With my homeowners insurance, the first $5000 of hurricane damage comes out of the my pocket.
Ken Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #19
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Anderson View Post
With my homeowners insurance, the first $5000 of hurricane damage comes out of the my pocket.
im actually amazed you can still get insurance, seem to get clobbered every year...