Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
HarryK

Default Anyone have a rear spring spreader around Detroit, MI?

As the title states. Looking to borrow or rent one. I was planning to remove both springs today until you nice people informed me of the potential danger. Please reply to this thread if you're local and wouldn't mind helping out a new guy.
HarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Vonn Ditch

Default Re: Anyone have a rear spring spreader around Detroit, MI?

That would be a long one.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
HarryK

It seems like it. I'll give it a week before I buy one from mikes afordable for $70
Old 10-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Tom Endy

If you were in my area (Southern California) I would certainly loan you one. Usually a Model A club in your area has one to loan. I would buy a spring spreader. Somewhere down the road you will need it again. When purchasing one be sure you are buying a proper spring spreader. Some suppliers sell what they call a traveling spring spreader or half a spreader. These are extremely dangerous to use. They can launch like a cross bow. That may be why they call them traveling.

The full spring spreader shown in the photo is the economy model and is perfectly safe. They sold for about $60 years ago. I think they are around $100 now. The one with all the bells and whistles sells for $135. These have thrust bearings and feet retainers. They are just easier to use.

If you are not familiar with a Model A rear spring approach it cautiously. Some people will advise you to pull the rear with the spring attached. This is a dangerous practice. if the rusted 80 year old center bolt lets go you will have spring leafs 20 feet in the air.

Spread the spring with the spreader, remove the rear, collapse the spring spreader and remove it, and then remove the spring. It is not lethal when it is not spread.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring spreader.jpg (40.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg half spring spreader.jpg (6.5 KB, 174 views)
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
HarryK

Would either of these be ok?
mikes-afordable
snydersantiqueauto
Old 10-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryK View Post
Would either of these be ok?
mikes-afordable
snydersantiqueauto
Both are good. I didn't realize the price was so reasonable. The blue one is like one that I have, paid $60 for it 20 years ago.

The ones that run $135 have a thrust bearing under each leg to make it easy to turn and have spring loaded leg retainers to keep them from falling out when you are trying to position it.

Tom Endy
Old 10-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
johnmi

Harry K Give me a call 517 522 4492 John
johnmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Some suppliers sell what they call a traveling spring spreader or half a spreader. These are extremely dangerous to use. They can launch like a cross bow. That may be why they call them traveling.

Tom Endy
Tom, That's a good one. LMAO... Thanks for that...

Tom, BTW, I really enjoy your TECH Articles on the Santa Anita A's site. Really helps out this NEWB...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-16-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have both units but the spreader with the bearings is well worth the xtra money. much smoother operation and it stops at the proper distance when fully cranked out

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-16-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
HarryK

I'll give you a call tomorrow John. Thank you
Old 10-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Most times you don't really need a spreader to remove the front spring, and it's not "loaded" and dangerous the way the rear one is.

The only thing I would add to Tom's posting #4 above is "remove the rear shackle before you remove the spreader" though this was obvious and probably understood.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Model A Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
If you were in my area (Southern California) I would certainly loan you one. Usually a Model A club in your area has one to loan. I would buy a spring spreader. Somewhere down the road you will need it again. When purchasing one be sure you are buying a proper spring spreader. Some suppliers sell what they call a traveling spring spreader or half a spreader. These are extremely dangerous to use. They can launch like a cross bow. That may be why they call them traveling.

The full spring spreader shown in the photo is the economy model and is perfectly safe. They sold for about $60 years ago. I think they are around $100 now. The one with all the bells and whistles sells for $135. These have thrust bearings and feet retainers. They are just easier to use.

If you are not familiar with a Model A rear spring approach it cautiously. Some people will advise you to pull the rear with the spring attached. This is a dangerous practice. if the rusted 80 year old center bolt lets go you will have spring leafs 20 feet in the air.

Spread the spring with the spreader, remove the rear, collapse the spring spreader and remove it, and then remove the spring. It is not lethal when it is not spread.

Tom Endy
Hi tom thanks for your response. Sometime in the future I need to remove a rear spring and was wondering if after removing the rear end from the spring with the spreader and then removing the spreader is there any other precautions before removing the center bolt from the spring? Thank you for your expertise.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
Hi tom thanks for your response. Sometime in the future I need to remove a rear spring and was wondering if after removing the rear end from the spring with the spreader and then removing the spreader is there any other precautions before removing the center bolt from the spring? Thank you for your expertise.

Once the rear has been removed from the car with the spring spreader still holding the tension on the spring, collapse the spring spreader and remove it. The spring is then no longer lethal and you can remove it from the car by removing the two U-bolts. There is some amount of tension left in the spring by virtue of the center bolt compressing the leafs together. The tension is negligible. However, it is best to place a C-clamp next to the center bolt only for the purpose of making it easy to remove the center bolt.

When re-assembling the spring you should replace the center bolt with a new one. Suppliers sell this bolt twice as long as it needs to be to facilitate pulling the leafs together. It is much easier if you again use the C-clamp to pull the leafs together. Tighten the bolt, make sure the square of the head is lined up to fit into the square in the cross member of the frame. Cut the bolt off below the nut and peen it over to lock it in place. Install it back in the car, install the spring spreader, spread the spring, and install the rear.

Regards,
Tom Endy
Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
majohnson00

P.m. Sent
majohnson00 is offline   Reply With Quote