Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
bclement

Default V-12

Ok, ok , I know......

I'm a dangerous novice flathead guy that jumped into V-12 'technology'.

Here' s what I got, what can you all tell me about it? I was thinking about putting it on the '38 engine.

Thanks
Brad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake1.jpg (19.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg intake2.jpg (14.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 00g0g_4Ajt3sE9Z9A_600x450.jpg (29.7 KB, 180 views)
bclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: V-12

Brad, that is a rare intake manifold, as is most "speed equipment" for the Lincoln Zephyr/Continental HV-12. The '38 looks sweet. I'll have to take a ride down to see you one weekend, I'd also like to check out your '41 Continental Coupe. Vic
Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
bclement

Vic,

Nothing like smelling oil fumes, old grease, and gas all the while looking at the beach!! But it would probably be more fun once I get the Continental back on the road!

Brad
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
itsa52

It looks like a "Hen's tooth" to me. Two of um on a V-12 should definitely help.
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

Very vintage, should work quite well when tuned right.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
hardtimes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclement View Post
Ok, ok , I know......

I'm a dangerous novice flathead guy that jumped into V-12 'technology'.

Here' s what I got, what can you all tell me about it? I was thinking about putting it on the '38 engine.

Thanks
Brad
Hey Brad,
IMO, you are doing good to first check out the possibilities of good/bad/ugly of doing modification !
First Q, is what condition is your 12 in ? If 'rebuilt' ..I'd go for it ! If just running condition and history/internals not known...well is may be a crapshoot to ad to something unknown. For instance, I just took a 'rebuilt' 12 apart...and was darn glad that I did..whoa..nothing added on would have helped what I found. What's history of your 12.
Hey, if you like MORE, maybe you'd like this...

Bottom half of pic is three pot intake...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (57.7 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-04-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: .......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
bclement

Yikes! I think three is a little much unless you are going to look at retuning internals. The 12 I have in the car is a good running unknown, the 38 'rebuilt' in the picture is a 'looks right and notionally known'. I got this intake and carburetors in a pile of other things that I just started going through.....interesting but I'm still learning.

Where did you get your copper head gaskets?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclement View Post
Yikes! I think three is a little much unless you are going to look at retuning internals. The 12 I have in the car is a good running unknown, the 38 'rebuilt' in the picture is a 'looks right and notionally known'. I got this intake and carburetors in a pile of other things that I just started going through.....interesting but I'm still learning.

Where did you get your copper head gaskets?
Well, the old man that died had a ton of NOS parts. Most were removed prior to my arrival. But copper head gasket (one) was still available.
If you are running aluminum heads, I've been told/informed that it is a good idea to use composite head gaskets...not copper. PM sent to you.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #9
CBoz

The stock intake as noted was for a single Stromberg carb with slightly bigger jets than the Ford. Frankly, Lincoln did that more for fuel efficiency than anything else. These cars really can benefit from two carbs. Three, not so sure...
CBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
bclement

Everything everyone has mentioned so far makes perfect sense. As I'm still tweaking/tuning, getting the car into comfortable driving condition, now might not be the time to start messing with dual carbs. My car has neither overdrive or a Columbia rear end and as I've not really had the opportunity yet to really get her going down the road I can't say with certainty how 'good' or 'bad' things are in the current configuration.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
jkeesey

I have done extensive work on a Zephyr v12 with an Edmunds dual carb setup. My only word of advice is make sure your carb tuning is right. The guy that setup this Lincoln had too large of jets and the wrong power valves. I finally got my hands in it and made the old girl run like a top, but sadly too late as the previous tuning washed the cylinders and ruined the 3 year old rebuild.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
bclement

Ok....some more research seems to indicate that the Edelbrock intake kept the front and rear carbs completely separate where the Edmunds did not? I assume this may be for the ease of adjustment/synch and not so much performance? Does that sound accurate?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
jkeesey

The Edmunds that I worked on were completely separate. Some "guru" drilled and added bypass lines underneath to equalize both sides which I had to remove. If I remember right, the one I service has original Zephyr carbs with 49 jets and 2.5 power valves. My memories a little fuzzy but I think that's it.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
Ol' Ron

This is a good example for the use of an A/F meter to aid in tuning. Don't forget to make sure the distributor is operating correctly.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
bclement

I checked and front and back are completely separate. It came of a '46 Lincoln coupe.....and was really about the only thing left worth taking off. It had Ford script 94 carbs on it and the linkage was a little 'home-made' looking so I'm real sure how it all worked. Also, the fuel pump and stem all seemed stock.

Feed back from the 'Hot Rod' world so far is that this isn't a speed part at all but a period aftermarket upgrade? I wasn't there in the40's so I don't know, but that doesn't seem to jive with what I thought I knew about Vic Edelbrock.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #16
jkeesey

Lincoln v12s aren't known for being monster race engines so the hot rod guys will steer away from them. They are cool in my book. The one I work on is a 40 so there may be a few differences.