Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
31ster

Default 1931 cab repair

Hello all, I am looping to repair the back panel of my model a cab. Someone welded the bottom Patch panels in and warped the panel real bad as well as doing a bad weld job. My question is is there a donor panel that works well for replacing below the belt line. I have a 76 camaro parts car and he roof looks like it would be close. I don't have access to an English wheel to make my own panel so I'm trying to find something that will work. Thanks ian
31ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 1931 cab repair

Ian, it really doesn't an English Wheel to make a panel. All a 'wheel is, ...is a "continuous" hammer & dolly. You can use a beater bag & mallet first, and a hammer & dolly to planish it to make a rear panel out of 18 or 19 gauge sheet stock. While I know some do use panels out of a different type vehicle and try to make them fit, generally speaking the end result is less than stellar.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

As Brent points out, it can all be done with hammer and dolly. The catch is understanding what has to be done and why. Not much rocket science, but there is some common word of mouth stuff you might hear from local professionals that is not quite right.

For me learning and understanding about how and why metal shrinks opened the door to making more complex panels.

I learned through reading an autobody text book from around 1970 and buying some expensive metalworking video tapes. Today you can rent these videos from smartflix.com for $10. I recommend Shrinking Magic and Fender Arches.

I would also go to some metal working forums and read lots of posts and see some of the metalworking guru's websites.

Here is the link to my metalworking hints: Metalworking

I first tried to reuse metal from other cars. The metal tends to be harder to work. Virgin new sheet metal is your best friend in panel making.

Have fun.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
Keith True

From what I've seen of these 30-31 cab backs,you might get a nice surprise when you cut out the old patch panel above the weld.The panel might be fine,I found the warped patch panels want to hold the cab back in a warped position.When I cut off the junk the original panel seems to come back to life.Just how high is this thing ruined at this point?They do have a slight curve at the top,under the belt line,that transitions into straight across at the bottom.The wood piece inside the cab will tell you just how much of a curve it has.I think the only part that is really straight is the stretch below the rear window.I've always used the patch panels that are available with no problem,but they are not perfectly correct.They are bent at 90 degrees at the bottom lip,and want to stand up straight.The ones I cut off were done that way.They had been set in and welded,straight up,and the cab back slanted down to meet the panel.The result was the cab looked like somebody tightened a belt around the bottom of it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Hitchhiker

I've got a decent back panel I'd make a deal on....
Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
31ster

Thanks for the replies, Keith. It looks like they used the full bottom and corner patches. The problem is that it looks like they used an arc welder to burn them in and then they e welded .5inch tubing on the inside to stregthen it I'm sure the back was beat up anyway but now they really warped.
31ster is offline   Reply With Quote