Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #41
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Remember When??

Guess I am sorry guys that I started y0u all bringing up all of the good old memories. But on the other hand it is interesting what we all did in the "younger" years. I am sure there are a number of memories that we can't or don't want to post either. Have fun and carry on!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #42
Glen in Hillman MI

Back in the mid 80's when I took my future wife on the circle tour around Lake Superior, we stopped at a brand new A & W in Canada. The parking lot had not been finished with the equipment still sitting there waiting to put the final coat on. We stopped specifically for a Root Beer Float. There were no other customers and 2 young girls behind the counter. We ordered and they looked at us in confusion and we quickly realized they had never heard of a Root Beer Float. After we explained what it was, they made them, but had no idea what to charge us. We told them to charge us for the Root Beer and a scoop of ice cream for each. It was obvious they hadn't had their A & W training yet, but we had a good laugh, enjoyed our Float and continued on our fall color tour. We have shared many more Root Beer floats over the last 30 years.
Glen
Glen in Hillman MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:45 PM   #43
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
Back in the late '60s while in high school. My buddies and I would cruise around to the different Steak n' Shakes in my original '29 Chevy. Everybody loved us because of the ahooga horn of the Chevy. Many times we would be kicked out because once we started ahooga'ing. Everybody else would start honking their horns too.

Bob-A
Steak n Shakes are also known as Beef n Wiggles around here

I have yet to try an In and out or Whattaburger - i Did try Weinershitzel out in OK and was pretty good! Im ruined from chicago hot dogs and Portillos around here but was still quite satisfying.

Now jack in the box sucks and the 3 times ive had it from 2 different establishments and different states it was awful...

Now there is this strange chain out in Nebraska called "Runza". Crosscut suggested I try it as everyone must in their life. Not knowing what I was expecting and always up for new adventures I went there. Hot pockets everywhere! Haha wasnt bad - totally different and tasted good but couldn't get the idea of a hot pocket outa my head haha. I would go back if I find another one!

White Castles are my weakness - WHY do they have to have a convenient suitcase full of 30 of them or a crate that has 100 of them!

Last edited by SeaSlugs; 01-03-2018 at 11:51 PM.
SeaSlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:50 AM   #44
dumb person

No i can't say i would remember that...

I do remember going to a burgerfuel a few times. Was really good, then someone else took over the shop and hired only foreigners, was slow and not very good, few weeks later they'd re-hired some locals & got the place running back on track again.
Doesn't look like i'll be going to any burger shops any time soon though..

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #45
Purdy Swoft

Jacks has good burgers and every thing else.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #46
Dutie

Back in my day 1958 McDonalds opened in Kingston NY. Hamburgers were .19 cents.... and when you were 14 quality was non existent, also 5 for less than a dollar, give me 5.
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #47
Purdy Swoft

Back in 58 , I turned 12 , near the end of that year . They didn't have the large burgers back then . I could eat 5 burgers with no problem and never gain an ounce . I was way more active back then .
Old 01-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #48
Dutie

I hear you Purdy, things sure changed. I can remember everything worked pretty good back then...no cold hands and feet in them days. That's my story an I'm stickin with it. Happy new year to all !
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #49
Marshall V. Daut

Back in the" good old days" when our famous Midwest Maid-Rites were still good, they cost 25 cents, or on Sundays 5 for a buck. They were bigger, better and freshly made on the premises. Now the Maid-Rite stores around here receive the pre-seasoned and mixed meat in a sausage-like tube casing that is squeezed out like toothpaste. Yum, yum! Doesn't that sound like delicious? They don't taste anything like they used to. What does? And they're close to $3.00 a copy now!
When I was a junior in high school during the mid-1960's, I REALLY wanted a 1931 Model A Coupe that a senior in school was selling. My father said he'd help me buy it if I got a part-time job after school to contribute funds. At a whopping starting 50 cents per hour, I began working at the local Sandy's restaurant, a chain which I now understand was founded by disgruntled former McDonald's franchise owners. Their target: taking down McDonald's. Not just because I worked there, but Sandy's was much better than McDonald's. During their breaks, the employees at McDonald's would come over to Sandy's for their burgers, rather than eat their own - even with their employee discount! What does that tell you? I was heart-broken when Sandy's was purchased by Hardee's in the early 1970's, who promptly dismantled the chain. I tried a Hardee's burger once soon after. It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO disgustingly bad that in the 45+ years since, I have NEVER gone back. I still single-handedly keep most fast food restaurants solvent, but I refuse to ever give Hardee's a second chance. Yeah, it was that bad. I'm not sure, but I think I saw the burger that I had just thrown away crawl back out of the garbage container.
My tastes and taste buds have not changed since I was a teenager. I still love and appreciate a good burger. My mother was the world's worst cook (around our house we prayed AFTER we ate), so growing up, I virtually lived in fast food restaurants and local mom and pop hamburger shops, spending my weekly allowance and grass cutting money to survive. (J's Stop 'N Eat and Ted's Drive-In were the best around here). None of the surviving burger places and chains from my youth can come even close to how good they used to be. And this is not just selective wishful memory at work here! I can't count the number of times in the last 20 years that I simply threw a half-eaten McDonald's burger away because it was so terrible. Other chains have not escaped that disgrace, either. (How come Culver's insists of over-cooking their burgers to point of being cinders?) I don't eat burgers nearly as much as I did even 10 years ago. Why did restaurants ruin what brought them to the party in the first place? Very depressing for a dedicated burger/French fry lover like myself. And no, I am not over-weight or diabetic - yet. Loving fried foods doesn't automatically doom one to weight and health problems.
Don't even get me started on the demise of French fries in this country!
O.K. Enough grousing about the "good old days". Back to Model T and A business...
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #50
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutie View Post
Back in my day 1958 McDonalds opened in Kingston NY. Hamburgers were .19 cents.... and when you were 14 quality was non existent, also 5 for less than a dollar, give me 5.
Dutie,

McDonald's started around 1955 in San Bernardino, CA. and they had a number of restaurants in The Riverside/San Bernardino area (The I.E.).

McDonald's had a competitor named BurgerBar here in the I.E., and they had several price wars so the Burgers were 15 cents in 1958. They were just catsup, pickles, a thin patty and bun. A & W was better with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions but they were 25 cents.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #51
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutie View Post
I hear you Purdy, things sure changed. I can remember everything worked pretty good back then...no cold hands and feet in them days. That's my story an I'm stickin with it. Happy new year to all !

Right on Dutie and a happy new year to you !!!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 AM   #52
KenCoupe

My favorite burger is Bob's Big Boy. Used to be a bunch of their restaurants around, but now only a couple in my area. I live close enough to the original Bob's in Burbank that I go there a couple of times a year. On Fridays from 4 to 10 pm, they have a car show/cruise in with everything from stock to rods.

My next favorite and more readily available is In-N-Out. It's a great, fresh tasting burger. I don't particularly care for Five Guys - they are way too greasy for my taste and pretty expensive for fast food.

Everyone has different tastes, and that is cool. I'm just saying what I like best. Everybody have a Happy New Year!
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #53
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

All right, do any of you remember cruising Colorado Blvd in Pasadena, California, on New Years eve? I remember doing it a couple of years in my 1929 coupe, in the late 60's. If I remember right, the police would shut the street down around midnight, to prepare for the Rose Parade.
I doubt if it is still allowed any more.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:16 AM   #54
Slowplane

Neil
I probably saw you there. We'd cruise till the blvd closed, then park a few blocks away, walk back, party till sunrise, and then try to remember where we left our cars!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #55
willobs

My favorite was Dog N Suds
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #56
Marshall V. Daut

"My favorite was Dog N Suds"

Yup! Until the late 1960's there used to be one on the northern outskirts of a neighboring town, Muscatine. My parents grew up in that town and my grandparents still lived there. When we returned to our town from visiting the relatives in Muscatine, stopping at Dog 'N Suds was S.O.P. I sure miss that root beer and burgers! I wonder what went wrong with the chain and its franchises? Poor management?
Marshall
Old 01-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #57
Marshall V. Daut

I just had to look up what happened to Dog 'N Suds. Here's a link:
https://www.google.com/search?source....0.Pcfrl82C3kA.

Marshall
Old 01-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #58
1928Mik

There is an A&W around here but no one goes to it since it's just a section to the side of a gas station and all their business is from I-70 traffic. I have heard just avoid it, it's not very good. Never was much in these parts to attend back in the day so we just cruised the restaurant row 'strip' and got in a few small races from one traffic light to another like on American Graffiti. The local cruise-in place now is the Denny's Diner every Friday nite. No roller skates, but they play oldies and have a few gift drawings.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote