Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
old car guy

Default Saw a idiot driving his 30 model a coupe today

Saw a idiot driving his highly altered model a today. It was to fast to get a picture before he sped off. The car was fairly original with the exception of the blown Chevy sticking way up thru the frame rails. I know he changed the rear ended I saw that when he sped away but the front end including original wires was still present. The sad part was this looked to be a complete original car that from five feet away was a superb example.. Alway down to the rumble seat ft and back bumpers etc. when he stepped on it the frame flexed so bad the the Drs door flew open . I thought he was going to fall out. I don't know how long it's going to last before he tears the frame in half. It certainly was making the horse power and it really sounded great. The funny part was a policeman was going the opposite direction and he acted like there was no problem when the door threw open. The sad part was the driver was not a young kid but at least a fifty to fifty five plus he should know better. Just a thought on my part.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Rex_A_Lott

Default Re: Saw a idiot driving his 30 model a coupe today

Old enough to know better, still too young to care. There are worse afflictions to have.
Probably something he wanted to do for a long time, finally had time and money to do it.
I hope you caught a bad case of it when he passed by
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
old car guy

It's a affliction had been there done that but no longer have the interest any longer. The sad part was the car was just to nice to screw up and was not done safely at any level. I mean when he sat down on it the car was twisting and it really will not be long before the body and the frame are toast. The scary part is that he probably is going to hurt some one else when I'dt does come apart. But you cannot fault him for living his dream, just live it with everyones safety in mind.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
mshmodela

I would hope this was not a Model A wasted to make a ROD... Now if the car was made from parts, that's all fine...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by old car guy View Post
It's a affliction had been there done that but no longer have the interest any longer. The sad part was the car was just to nice to screw up and was not done safely at any level. I mean when he sat down on it the car was twisting and it really will not be long before the body and the frame are toast. The scary part is that he probably is going to hurt some one else when I'dt does come apart. But you cannot fault him for living his dream, just live it with everyones safety in mind.
I agree whole heartedly with this comment. IMHO, such irresponsibility should be condemned. Such a car wouldn't be on the road here. Any increase in engine power above 10 or 20 % (I can't remember) requires approval from a certified engineer before it can be registered. The engineer would look at EVERYTHING, brakes, chassis, suspension, structural integrity etc. It's not often I agree with what politicians do but this is one. Here, ours have acted to protect everybody else's freedom and right to stay alive by keeping that sort of idiot off the road, to say nothing of the cost to the community of the death and injury such reckless behaviour might cause.
I'm afraid I can't agree about not able to fault him for living his dream when he is likely to end his life and that of others in the process. Such behaviour is best left a dream. Such people live amongst us everywhere but we have the right to protect ourselves from them.

Last edited by Synchro909; 10-06-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
bambooboy

Smile Re: Saw a idiot driving his 30 model a coupe today

Quote:
Saw a idiot driving his highly altered model a today. It was to fast to get a picture before he sped off. The car was fairly original with the exception of the blown Chevy sticking way up thru the frame rails. I know he changed the rear ended I saw that when he sped away but the front end including original wires was still present. The sad part was this looked to be a complete original car that from five feet away was a superb example.. Alway down to the rumble seat ft and back bumpers etc. when he stepped on it the frame flexed so bad the the Drs door flew open . I thought he was going to fall out. I don't know how long it's going to last before he tears the frame in half. It certainly was making the horse power and it really sounded great. The funny part was a policeman was going the opposite direction and he acted like there was no problem when the door threw open. The sad part was the driver was not a young kid but at least a fifty to fifty five plus he should know better. Just a thought on my part.
been here 2 years,i would guess average age on modelA forum is about 60.there are no 30 or 40 year olds in my neck of woods that has any interest in any cars or trucks to restore.at least the coupe had some original features that were preserved.how many here have f-150 4 speeds,hyd brakes,overdrives,bucket seats or whatever.for crap sake I have an orange truck.100 years from now might be solar powered A, but still an A.enjoy the hobby. tom
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
burner31

Quote:
Fifty to fifty five plus you say?
Kids today...go figure
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
bobpo1

Sounds like a mere child I'd say. Hope he stays safe. Since I was a teen in the fifties, speed never meant anything to me, but the car had to look great. It was all about the look then and still is.
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

An HONEST confession is GOOD for the SOUL!
How many of you out there have done SIMILAR escapades? I HAVE! Sometimes I wonder how I lived this LOOOOONG!
Willie Wild
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
RandyinUtah

Been there and done that kind of stuff once, I put a Hemi in a cut down 36 Chev truck cab, roll bar bench seat and beer cage gas tank. Boy we had fun until the police caught up with me and my friends. That was the end of that adventure. All I can say that was good about it is that it was a Chev and not a Model A.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
holdover

now that hot rod would be a good candidate for that Morrison chassis that was under that other A with the big wing. I don't like good vintage tin messed up. but if someone is going to do it, the right way is best. Built many rods in my time and all of them were safe, with the right equipment etc. might have driven them a bit crazy when I was young, but I wanted protection if something went wrong. Hope that guy doesn't hurt anyone...
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:25 AM   #12
updraught

Might have just been Float A Motor and a B carb?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:21 AM   #13
George Miller

Smile Re: Saw a idiot driving his 30 model a coupe today

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
An HONEST confession is GOOD for the SOUL!
How many of you out there have done SIMILAR escapades? I HAVE! Sometimes I wonder how I lived this LOOOOONG!
Willie Wild
Well Bill nothing more fun than beating two young guys at the stop light when it turns green. You can see the young guy riding tell the diver you let that old white haired fart beat you. Ok I confessed. Can you Bless me.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote