Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #1
gayle marlowe

Default Cosidering juice brakes

Now that I have the 38 sedan running pretty good, I find that the brakes leave a lot to be desired. Am thinking of converting with the kit from Early Ford. I realize that I will have to change drums and probably hubs, which puts me into 15" wheels and tires.
You guys with the 15" on your rides: What sizes are you using and are you using bias or radials? Do the radials make much difference in the ride quality?
Did you also convert to modern shocks?
Is there any market out there for all the stuff that will be coming off the car? Everything is new or like new.
Trying to find out what most have done without going thru the trial and error bit that always makes for a higher cost and extra parts stored in the garage.
Thanks
gayle marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Cosidering juice brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle marlowe View Post
Now that I have the 38 sedan running pretty good, I find that the brakes leave a lot to be desired. Am thinking of converting with the kit from Early Ford. I realize that I will have to change drums and probably hubs, which puts me into 15" wheels and tires.
You guys with the 15" on your rides: What sizes are you using and are you using bias or radials? Do the radials make much difference in the ride quality?
Is there any market out there for all the stuff that will be coming off the car? Everything is new or like new.
Trying to find out what most have done without going thru the trial and error bit that always makes for a higher cost and extra parts stored in the garage.
Thanks

Hey Gayle....Don't be too quick to grab that phone and order parts just YET! Who is this "Early Ford" that you're considering dealing with? And just WHAT does this "KIT" consist of?

There is no reason that you should have to change to 15" wheels/tires that I can think of. In fact, there are ways that you can even keep your existing DRUMS and WHEELS/Tires if they're serviceable, and you like the 'look'. Let's discuss this some more before you possibly get lead down a 'not-so-good' path. There are good answers for what it sounds like you want to do. More details?

And welcome to The 'Barn! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
gayle marlowe

V8: I talked briefly to "Early Ford Store" in Ca. They say they have a bolt in kit for my 38 that uses all bolt in parts including prebent lines etc. I explained that I was a bit elderly and inquired if I could install this myself. He assured me it was easily done, even for a mostly worn out codger like me.
I kinda like the look of the "big & little" wheels and tires I have seen. I think they are steel smoothies? Mine seems to ride pretty rough, but may just be me comparing it to our modern cars.
My wheels and hub caps are like new. Tires were new 12 years ago with now about 1000 miles. They do feel like they are out of balance tho.
I do like the current stock look "artillery wheels"? But I think I like the smoothie, bit & little look better.
Trying to decide. Decisions, decisions?????
gayle marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
bmwillia

If you are talking about Dennis and Richard Lacy's kit then I can assure you it is top notch!

I installed the kit with the prefabbed lines on my 33 coupe and it looks like it came like that from the factory. Its not cheap but quality never is.

Brad
Old 05-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Trying to decide. Decisions, decisions?????
Gayle ....I sent you a PM! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
alanwoodieman

why not go with the floating kit from flathead ted. I have been impressed with them and have put them on 34/36/29/28 cars and several pick up[ trucks. work great and go on fairly easily
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
bbrocksr

Quote:
Thanks
Hi Gayle,
I just finished converting my 36 pickup to hydraulics, couldn't be happier.
Twice the brakes with half the foot pressure. I used the Lincoln backing plates by Boling Bros/ MT products, they fit great and are well made.
I used 37-41 round back spindles and 37 wide five drums on the front.
Being that yours is a 38 you have already got the round back spindles and correct drums. I used a 39 pedal assembly and bent my own lines, I took my time and they look like factory.
Richard Lacey is a great guy but I wanted to do my own. As far as being elderly I'm 83 it just takes a little longer. Do it, you won't regret it

Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
tubman

If you have a pretty nice '38, my opinion would be that it is almost imperative that you keep the "wide-5" wheels. Luckily the existing drums will work fine with the later brake assembly, so if your drums are good, you are way ahead of the game. I have always had good results with the original later ford Lockheed brake, so in my opinion, the expense and extra effort of going to the later Bendix brakes is unnecessary, unless you really want to go that way

That being said, I have always heard he the later cable-actuated mechanical brakes were superior to the earlier versions with brake rods, so perhaps you may want to give them a second chance after some tweaking.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If you have a pretty nice '38, my opinion would be that it is almost imperative that you keep the "wide-5" wheels.

That being said, I have always heard he the later cable-actuated mechanical brakes were superior to the earlier versions with brake rods, so perhaps you may want to give them a second chance after some tweaking.
I'd say that Gayle's '38 qualifies as a "pretty nice '38"! And who can forget that beautiful shop that he parks it in?

As far as cable brakes being superior, I have a stock '37 coupe with cable brakes. Those cables stretch over time, and the cables can even begin to 'bind' in the jackets. Henry changed to hydraulics for a reason in '39. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #10
tubman

"The safety of steel, from pedal to wheel".
Old 05-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #11
tubman

Thanks for posing that picture; if that were my car, I would do everything I could to NOT change it to hydraulics.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #12
cas3

Nice lookin car. I too would would be tempted to leave it as is. I like the wide five look, but if you prefer to change to smoothie wheels keep in mind your old wide 5 drums are not being reproduced, so valuable if not worn out. for the best brakes you would open you're wallet wide and get the new Lincoln style (self energizing ) brakes from Boling bros.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:24 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

That's a very nice looking '38 tudor sedan. I'd suggest getting those original cable brakes working good and leave it original.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:31 PM   #14
Tinker

If it's not broke don't fix it. Looks like you don't have a rusted out car, that was most likely well maintained. Adjust the brakes and drive it for a bit. Mechanical brakes never fail and are fairly decent. My 38 truck had mechanical, then to hydraulics as I was told. The mechanical would lock them up. Parking/emergency brakes up to the 70s were cable driven.

You could probably gain more from arching your shoes to the drum.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-28-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:44 PM   #15
Tinker

If you are hell bent to do it. I used Lacy's kit lines and an original 39 pedal assemble. Lacy lines were very very nice... spiral rock guards, blocks, e-brake setup, all fit perfect and didn't need to chase anything down. That was 10yrs ago though sure it's the same now. You will have to drill a few holes and open up a little bit of the cross member. Templates for mounting are available, just ask.

Now you just have to rebuild or find the best hydraulic cylinders.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-29-2021 at 12:03 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #16
50droptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwillia View Post
If you are talking about Dennis and Richard Lacy's kit then I can assure you it is top notch!

I installed the kit with the prefabbed lines on my 33 coupe and it looks like it came like that from the factory. Its not cheap but quality never is.

Brad
I second this! Used their kit on my ‘36 and it fit perfect, looks factory and works like a charm.
50droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:13 AM   #17
Jack E/NJ

If it were mine, I'd instead consider FlatHeadTed's floater kit to convert the wide-five lockheed-style mechanicals to bendix-style self-energizing mechanicals.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #18
Bill OH

I have posted in Ford Barn many times regarding the setup and adjustment of mechanical brakes. I have used them on three 38 Fords with success. Lub (Lubriplate) the cable conduits and the linkage and you will be able to slide the wheels. And you are not faced with a master cylinder or wheel cylinder leaking or giving way!!! One cable can break and you still have three brakes plus the emergency operates all 4 wheels.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #19
GaryU.

I'm very happy with the mechanical brakes on my '38 after adjusting them using instructions from the owners manual of the same vintage. It was one of the items that I thought of as something that if it's working leave it alone.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:50 AM   #20
mfirth

Sweet car. I have a friend with a 38 Phaeton & mech. brakes. Mild flatty which runs GR8. That car STOPS VERY WELL !!! Think twice....Tubman has it right with "the safety of steel from pedal to wheel". He ain't no dummy .
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote