Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
3quarter32

Default Broken Rotor

I have put about 20 miles on this 60hp engine. The other day, the distributor cap came off, and the rotor snapped. I replaced the rotor with a FA64 from NAPA. It appears to be the same as the broken one. Today (first time out since replacing rotor) it backfired thru the carb, caught the engine on fire, burned all the wiring, before I could get the fire out.
Now, it appears the the rotor may be hitting the lower part of the contacts on the crab type cap. I first thought the cap had just came off. I put the cap on, snapped the keepers in place, and for the life of me, I could not get it to come off or unsnap. Useing reasonable force, of course.
Is it possible that the contact at the end of the rotor is a bit to long? I thought about fileing a few thousands off of it, but didn't know if this was what I need to do first. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks, Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0763.JPG (69.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0765.JPG (65.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0766.JPG (71.9 KB, 25 views)
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Mike in AZ

Default Re: Broken Rotor

might read thru this earlier thread about taking some off the rotor....what Bubba said...Mike

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...928#post515928
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
3quarter32

Thanks Mike, going to remove dist. tomorrow and check out all they talked about.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

The rotor for the '42 crab is different than the rotor for the '46-'48 distributor. The rotor for the later distributor will not work in the crab distributor.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
columbiA

The 42 crab rotor is a little longer than the later one.One time I had a crab dist in which some one had installed a later rotor.It would run but was hard to start .putting in the correct rotor solved the problem.Check the bushings in your dist .maybe they are worn enough to allow rotor end to contact terminals in cap or a poor repro part.If bushings are worn,you wont be able to set the points properly.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
ken ct
BANNED

A small amount can be filed off the rotor contact.That is the correct rotor you show.Possible problem with too much axiel play in the dist shaft,some have to use a shim washer inbetween the under side of the top bushing and the end of the shaft. That moves the shaft and rotor to the back of the case giving more room for the rotor. Also did you have a gasket between the cap and the housing that also moves the cap out more.You need a more knowlagable person to set this right,newbies dont do so good with these dist. as you found out. ken ct. I can set it up right for any parts used and shipping back if you want. PM me or call 1-203-260-5945 cell.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
3quarter32

Ken, no there is no gasket between cap and housing. I will see if I can get one from NAPA, when I get new rotor. The rotor is for a 1942. Going to remove dist. this afternoon, and check for side and end play. Going to clay the contacts in cap also, to see where things are disagreeing. I will consider your offer also.
Thanks, Lee
Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

Napa will not have the gasket,no gasket was part of the problem.The one in the gasket sets sold is not right.I use one of the helmet dist ones from the side caps.Slightly big but i cut a smidge off of about 1/2 way around the outside edge/work perfect.You must also eliminate excess in and out movement of the main shaft with a shim washer. ken ct. And use USA rotor which i have. good luck this has happend before to other newbies lol. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
3quarter32

Ken, do you have the good crab, rotor, and gasket available? If so pm me a price, and I will send you some $s. Oh ya, might need the condenser also, as the wire has the coating burned off.
End play is ok, as is side play. I sent this off to Charley some time back and he went thru it.
Lee