Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
postaltruck31

Default 31 Wide Bed Fenders

Do the rear fenders that fit on a Wide Bed Pickup have an indentation at the point where they would meet up with the splash apron? There is a set of metal ones on the Swap site, and they don't have an indentation. The owner says that his other set do not have an indentation either. I've also been looking at a set of fiberglass fenders that the owner claims will fit a wide bed, and they don't have an indentation either. However, the wide bed fiberglass fenders that Wescott sells DO have the indentation. And there used to be a guy in Missouri that would take 28/29 rear coupe fenders, and cut 2 inches out of the middle (length wise) and weld them back together to make wide bed repro fenders. And these would have an indentation for the splash apron. So, I'm trying to figure out if the originals had the indentation or not. Thanks! Ted
postaltruck31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 31 Wide Bed Fenders

We have one original in our "reference library" and it does have an indentation or notch for the apron (and is not for sale).

The shape of the notch is different than 1928-29 as the 1931 apron has a tighter radius to the top bend.

The overall shape of the fender is closer to a 1930-31 coupe/roadster with the tail flair than a 1928-29.

btw, if you look closely at the front of the RH rear of those incredibly bad steel fenders in the swap section you can just see the difference in width between the fender width at the bed and apron, the corner is pretty much beat. On the LH the notch area is folded under and does not show in the photo.

Last edited by Karl Wescott; 09-16-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: critique steel fenders
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Brentwood Bob

The guy with the fenders for sale just checked and yep they have the notches. Pictures were added to the forsale ad.
Still for sale. And for the knowing these are originals. the set reserved for the owner's wide bed are slightly better, but the only 2 sets I have found out west. But now I know there is another fender in oregon that I can look at.
Remember the ccpu did not come with a rear bumper.
Bob

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 09-16-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
Steve Wastler

A few pics of a NOS wide bed fender
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mailtruck 001.jpg (141.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg mailtruck 002.jpg (81.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg mailtruck 003.jpg (92.8 KB, 58 views)
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote