Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #41
av8paul

Default Re: Bad day on the road. Blown motor in Oklahoma

UPDATE:

Fred (freddys35) Landis, drove up from Forney, TX yesterday and trailered the wounded AV8 back to his place. He and his wife insisted we stay the night with them. We had dinner there and this morning she cooked a real country breakfast for us. Then Fred drove us to the car rental place. We're in Roswell, NM after driving all day. Should arrive in Fountain Hills, AZ tomorrow afternoon. Fred is leaving for AZ on Thursday. After dropping my car off, he's going on to pickup a 33 or 34 2 dr. Fred is quite a guy! Talk about a collection of cars and trucks!! More 35/6 Ford trucks than I've ever seen in one place. 1/2 tons, panels, 1 1/2 tons, fire trucks.........

What a hobby. Total stranger rescues a fellow car guy. Doesn't get any better than this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hot rod rescue November 1, 2010 004.jpg (54.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg hot rod rescue November 1, 2010 011.jpg (87.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg hot rod rescue November 1, 2010 012.jpg (90.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg hot rod rescue November 1, 2010 016.jpg (82.8 KB, 137 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #42
Flathead

Hey I just saw this. What engine let go? I thought you had a fresh one in there. Definately a bummer. Good to see you have friends helping you out!
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #43
av8paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Hey I just saw this. What engine let go? I thought you had a fresh one in there. Definately a bummer. Good to see you have friends helping you out!
it was the 24 stud that has been in the roadster since '07. It had well over 24,000 miles on it, including a banzi run to Bonneville and back, in '08. 6097 miles of hard running. I'm working out the details on how to get my fresh spare out here. I have a couple on plans, in the works now. They will depend on how several, non car related issues work out. We're flying home for the holidays in two weeks. Should have a firm plan after that.

Yes, it is good to have so many friends helping me out. Some, I've known for years and some, total strangers. I've said it before, but what a great hobby!!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #44
JM 35 Sedan

Keep the faith Paul, these things happen. You sure have had some good help from some great folks. If I ever have any trouble on the road I hope I'm somewhere near Fred (freddys35) Landis.
I came through Oklahoma one day before you had your engine problem. Otherwise, I would have stopped to help you out in some way. I didn't have a spare FH engine but I did have plenty of tools, spare FH parts, and a car trailer hooked on the back of my truck.
Hope you get to do some cruising soon in AZ in that beauitful AV8.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #45
av8paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Keep the faith Paul, these things happen. You sure have had some good help from some great folks. If I ever have any trouble on the road I hope I'm somewhere near Fred (freddys35) Landis.
I came through Oklahoma one day before you had your engine problem. Otherwise, I would have stopped to help you out in some way. I didn't have a spare FH engine but I did have plenty of tools, spare FH parts, and a car trailer hooked on the back of my truck.
Hope you get to do some cruising soon in AZ in that beauitful AV8.
Thanks John. Looks like my next run XC will be with a trailer AND a spare engine. I really rather drive 'em, but sometimes you have to say "uncle."

Yeah, if you get into trouble on the road, you can't beat a guy like "freddys35." Or, any of the other wonderful people that would do the same as Fred did.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #46
Dick-Cape Cod

Paul, Ford Barn people are just fantastic, are'nt they? Hope to hear all about this experience at the Christmas party. See you the first Wednesday, Dec. 1st...Dick
Dick-Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #47
av8paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick-Cape Cod View Post
Paul, Ford Barn people are just fantastic, are'nt they? Hope to hear all about this experience at the Christmas party. See you the first Wednesday, Dec. 1st...Dick

Yes, they are wonderful. I can't say enough good things about them and the folks over on the HAMB. All were so helpful, when I needed it. The moral support we got was just as important.

Full story at the Chrishmas party. Home made backed beans are already on the calendar.