Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
miller91

Default How Close to (Over)Square In V-8 Bore/Stroke?

Bored and Stroked is common in the old Ford lingo. In the interest of preserving the incredible knowledge in our Members history, I inquire; can you share your experience with square/oversquare vs. just stroked vs. just bored?

I know Ol' Ron will have something here as well as many others.

I ask because the Ford V8 is/was a torque "beast" in it's day and I know all sorts of bores/strokes/compression ratios/and cams have been used. Is there a "sweet spot" for the stocker/mild engine? In my case the 8BA.

Might be a fun thread. This should be fun.

Cheers, S
miller91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: How Close to (Over)Square In V-8 Bore/Stroke?

Square/oversquare relates to the ratio of piston size to stroke. It would take a very short stroke crankshaft to achieve either in a flathead Ford V8.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

Square is square. That's just the way it is. Same with round.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

Is this like what goes up must come down? All kidding aside.

Experience as to bored compared to stroke compared to square/over square can anyone really give their experience with all of that?
What you need to do is put together an engine masters type of competition if there were individuals interested in entering the results/discovery's could then be preserved. The rules would need to have a cubic inch limit then how you go about getting to the chosen size would be the entry's choice.

Just deciding the cubes limit would be an interesting challenge for whoever is chosen to be the competition committee. This could be a costly endeavor for anyone interested in competing. It could be interesting none the less.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 01-25-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:47 AM   #5
frnkeore

It wouldn't be to hard to test a square vs a under square combo. You could even test a over square but, the cranks would expensive.

The combo's would be:
3.202 x 3.750 = 241.58
3.375 x 3.375 = 241.55
3.440 x 3.250 = 241.65

Or
3.19 x 4.00 = 255.75
3.44 x 3.438 = 255.63

I don't think there would be any difference in HP for the last two but, there might be some slight difference over the 3.75 stroke, in reduction of friction.

The friction reduction is why Ford came out with the short stroke OHV engines, in '52 & '54 and they advertised it, in their adds. They continued on with it in '60 & '62 with the Falcon 6 and Fairlaine V8.

The Mobil Economy Run was important in those days and I think that might have, had something to do with it.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #6
Charlie ny
BANNED

The 2nd and 3rd motors in my '41 pickup were fairly close in spec.
#2....3 3/4" crank ,bored .06 and a set of slightly milled EAB heads..I had to down shift to second 1/2 way up my test hill
#3.....4" crank, bored.08 and set of EAB heads that I spent hours on matching the comb chambers to the actual piston crown ending up with .040 clearance (with head gasket installed) between the crown and the chamber. No down shifting required on my test hill. Interesting here ,this motor labored some 1/2 way up but as the grade
level slightly it began to accelerate and pull to the top.
Ron Halloran and John Lawrence will have invaluable insight here. Things like piston speed and rod angularity begin to influence the bottom line ,which escapes me.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

The closes I came to having a "Square" engine was a 3 5/8 de-stroked crank and 3 3/8 pistons Sold them before I had a chance to run it. However, the only ay to compare it would be on a dyno run with a similar size engine. The short stroke "MIGHT" rev alittle higher, so the torque curve might shift a little.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
miller91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Is this like what goes up must come down? All kidding aside.

Experience as to bored compared to stroke compared to square/over square can anyone really give their experience with all of that?
What you need to do is put together an engine masters type of competition if there were individuals interested in entering the results/discovery's could then be preserved. The rules would need to have a cubic inch limit then how you go about getting to the chosen size would be the entry's choice.

Just deciding the cubes limit would be an interesting challenge for whoever is chosen to be the competition committee. This could be a costly endeavor for anyone interested in competing. It could be interesting none the less.
Ronnieroadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
It wouldn't be to hard to test a square vs a under square combo. You could even test a over square but, the cranks would expensive.

The combo's would be:
3.202 x 3.750 = 241.58
3.375 x 3.375 = 241.55
3.440 x 3.250 = 241.65

Or
3.19 x 4.00 = 255.75
3.44 x 3.438 = 255.63

I don't think there would be any difference in HP for the last two but, there might be some slight difference over the 3.75 stroke, in reduction of friction.

The friction reduction is why Ford came out with the short stroke OHV engines, in '52 & '54 and they advertised it, in their adds. They continued on with it in '60 & '62 with the Falcon 6 and Fairlaine V8.

The Mobil Economy Run was important in those days and I think that might have, had something to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
The 2nd and 3rd motors in my '41 pickup were fairly close in spec.
#2....3 3/4" crank ,bored .06 and a set of slightly milled EAB heads..I had to down shift to second 1/2 way up my test hill
#3.....4" crank, bored.08 and set of EAB heads that I spent hours on matching the comb chambers to the actual piston crown ending up with .040 clearance (with head gasket installed) between the crown and the chamber. No down shifting required on my test hill. Interesting here ,this motor labored some 1/2 way up but as the grade
level slightly it began to accelerate and pull to the top.
Ron Halloran and John Lawrence will have invaluable insight here. Things like piston speed and rod angularity begin to influence the bottom line ,which escapes me.
Charlie ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The closes I came to having a "Square" engine was a 3 5/8 de-stroked crank and 3 3/8 pistons Sold them before I had a chance to run it. However, the only ay to compare it would be on a dyno run with a similar size engine. The short stroke "MIGHT" rev alittle higher, so the torque curve might shift a little.

Well, thanks everyone who responded with knowledge and wisdom.

I grew up up reading 40's and 50's (B&W and early color) HRMs that I bought at some expense for teenager at flea markets. Still have'em. Now I am careful with "hot rod" posts here...but as stocker flatheads will in future need at least boring, and frankly you can hide anything in a "stocker" my post hoped to initiate conversation and coax out opinions from the pros as to the possibilities towards preserving and enhancing drivability. And learn while having fun listening to positive folks.

Thanks Ronnieroadster, Frnkeore, Charlie ny (PM'd you about my Mallory) and Ol' Ron...who inspired my thought process on the de-stroked V8's.

Wonder what the madmen short-trackers did with the very oversquare little V8-60?

Cheers, S
Old 01-27-2021, 09:16 PM   #9
Flathead

The Ford flathead was designed as a very under square motor, square and over square go against it's nature and kill the cubic inch potential.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #10
tubman

To get a Ford flathead to "square" requires the crank shaft to be "de-stroked" by more than 1/4". I cannot think of a more futile (not to mention expensive) undertaking.

Last edited by tubman; 01-27-2021 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Still can't spell.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:19 PM   #11
miller91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
The Ford flathead was designed as a very under square motor, square and over square go against it's nature and kill the cubic inch potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
To get a Ford flathead to "square" requires the crank shaft to be "de-stroked" by ore than 1/4". I cannot think if a more futile (not to mention expensive) undertaking.
Please do not say anything unless it is constructive. i would prefer my posts not to be disrespected nor spoiled by any insulting comments.

This is a forum by definition; a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

This place should be enjoyable. If you don't like what I say, change the channel.

Bye bye
Old 01-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller91 View Post
Please do not say anything unless it is constructive. i would prefer my posts not to be disrespected nor spoiled by any insulting comments.

This is a forum by definition; a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

This place should be enjoyable. If you don't like what I say, change the channel.

Bye bye
This is exactly what is happening here. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #13
deuce5wndw

I have often wondered about performance difference in a 258 (239 .125 over) and a stock 255 cube Mercury ( 4 inch stroke standard bore) I have a Mercury but never driven or rode in a 258. I think tubman has had both if my memory is correct.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote