Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
jrd-28

Default '28 starter

At long last, I'm back on my '28 Tudor restore.

I'm rebuilding the starter. The spring looks to me like it's a bit sacked out and needs to be replaced. The bolt holes on the bendix drive don't line up unless I pull the drive apart a bit.

Opinion? Should I go with what I have, or replace it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0932-med.jpeg (102.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0934-med.jpeg (108.2 KB, 16 views)
jrd-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
frank55a

Default Re: '28 starter

Since you say you have a 28 you need to determine which starter you have, specifically the earlier one with the square starter switch or the later starter with the switch that looks like the 29-31 switch. If you have the earlier starter they do not make a repo Bendix for that one and further the later starter can not be used to replace the earlier starter. If you have the early starter "Lots of luck". Please post a picture of the starter.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
jrd-28

The car is a '28. Here's some pix of the starter, and switch assembly.

There are springs available which look like what I have, for instance https://www.modelaparts.com/a11375 Maybe that means this is the later starter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0935-med.jpeg (130.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0936-med.jpeg (138.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0937-med.jpeg (144.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #4
john charlton

If your car has been fitted with the single disc clutch then you can use the parts sold by the vendors . I have seen some substandard repro Bendix drives which were made in India so watch out for that or get a good used USA one . Maybe the vendors sell better ones now . A lot of 1928 cars which had the multidisc clutch have been changed to the single disc as the multidisc would hang up when the flywheel grooves got worn . There is an early multidisc and a late multidisc you cannot use the regular starter motor in the early multidisc .

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:02 AM   #5
john charlton

Measure the shaft diameter the later starter is 5/8" if yours is this you are good to go for parts . If you have the 1/2" shaft you unfortunately will have difficulty finding parts as they are not made in repro . Somebody on the "Barn" could have a NOS Bendix lurking in their "stores" !!!

John in Suffolk County England .
Old 01-28-2021, 07:48 AM   #6
jrd-28

My car has the single-disk clutch, and the starter shaft is 5/8". Sounds like I'm good to go, assuming I don't buy crappy parts I don't need the whole bendix, just the spring. The rest of it is in remarkably good shape.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #7
john charlton

I would go for replacing the Bendix complete then it is fit and forget . 2017 Snyders catalogue has a new one USA made for $41.50 so maybe a little more now .In used Bendix the bolts get loose over time and wear the threads etc etc . Buy the A-11350-USA more expensive than the offshore one and the modern drive but well worth it I think .

John in same place .
Old 01-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
frank55a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd-28 View Post
My car has the single-disk clutch, and the starter shaft is 5/8". Sounds like I'm good to go, assuming I don't buy crappy parts I don't need the whole bendix, just the spring. The rest of it is in remarkably good shape.

Thanks!

You are lucky! While your A is a 28 you have the later starter. I would recommend Snyder's or Bratton's for the parts you need. Who ever you call to order the parts ask where they are made.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote