Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2021, 12:04 AM   #1
Mister Moose

Default Connecticut license plate color

Just got a nice matched pair of 1930 CT plates. The online source I found states 1930 was white letters on black background.

20210123_132506 1.jpg

This plate appears original. The color is a very aged cream, or light tan. So why not black? Were there different colors for special uses?

Any plate experts here, or know of any good references? Nice low number too.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:49 AM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Connecticut license plate color

Could be a commercial plate. From 1922-1931, Connecticut commercial plates were distinguished from passenger plates solely by the reversal of the color scheme. So in your case these would have been black letters on a white background, which has aged to the color you see now.

Got my info here:
http://www.ctplates.info/ct_com1.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ct_com30.jpg (19.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by alexiskai; 01-24-2021 at 09:59 AM.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
WHN

1930, car, plates were black with white letters. Connecticut.

Enjoy
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
KGBnut

The original paint wasn't intended to last long since you got new plates every year. It oxidizes over time and turns shades of brown.

There is some debate over what the original color was. The Connecticut state records only had an abbreviation for the colors and the background color was listed as "bl." Well... is bl supposed to stand for blue or black? Old timers I have talked to don't remember or don't agree.

I have seen most of them re-painted black with white letters. However, after I did my research, I went with the blue. This was mostly due to the trend for a while in Connecticut to alternate colors every other year; white letters on a dark background one year, and dark letters on a white background the next year. The records indicate "wh on bl" alternating with "bl on wh" for several years, until later in the 30s when they wrote it out fully as "white on blue." There is no indication that this was a change, so I believe it was a clarification that it was blue all along.

I used Krylon Colormaster Regal Blue. I'm happy with it, but to be honest, I think it is a hair too dark.

Krylon Colormaster Regal Blue on Amazon

I hope this is helpful,

Ken
Old 01-24-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
WHN

I don’t like drawing a line in the sand “but”.

In 1930 Connecticut passenger car license plates were BLACK with WHITE letters.

Take the time to go on line. The state of Connecticut will even tell you what the colors were by each year.

In most states you also can’t repaint the original plates. The original plate must be clearly readable to be used as a current plate on an antique automobile.

Blue started in 1934.

Now for show, anything goes.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
Ted Duke

Mot all states or at least all DMV offices require original paint. I took some in for my 1970 Ghia that were never used, still in the envelope with tissue between them. Lady said, "Nice job of restoring." I laughed and showed her the envelope. She looked at the tags again and said, "Oh."
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #7
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Mot all states or at least all DMV offices require original paint. I took some in for my 1970 Ghia that were never used, still in the envelope with tissue between them. Lady said, "Nice job of restoring." I laughed and showed her the envelope. She looked at the tags again and said, "Oh."
In the state of Virginia, it is not legal to repaint license plates.

I wonder what she would have done if you had said they were repainted. Sounds like a loaded question, like being stopped while driving and the officer asking if you have been drinking.

Enjoy,
Old 01-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
KGBnut

WHN,

As I said, there is some debate, and I will be the first to admit that I could be wrong. It has been a long time, but I had looked at some of the state records that they likely used to build that website. (I'm not sure that webpage existed at that time.) As I said, the records I found only indicated "bl." I shared the best information I had. Perhaps the builders of that site had access to information that I hadn't uncovered. New information is always good.

One thing that I clearly did get wrong in my recollection, on odd numbered years it was white on maroon.

The page that WHN refers to I believe is this one:

Historical Notes About Connecticut's License Plates

There is a lot of good information there.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
Mister Moose

I hadn't heard of any original paint requirement in CT. The DMV page does not mention any requirement:

https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Special-an...facture-Plates

The relevant statute also does not mention any original paint requirement, only that the plate itself be issued by the DMV.

"the owner of such antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle may be authorized by the commissioner to display a number plate originally issued by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles corresponding to the year of manufacture of such antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle. "

CT Title 14-20

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/c....htm#sec_14-20

I'll repaint these inn the appropriate colors (doing some more research on black vs blue) and report back when I'm done, likely this June-ish.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #10
WHN

We’re just having a backyard conversation here so please don’t think I’m question anyone’s views.

I have been told that painting a license plate is altering it even if nothing other than the paint has been changed. DMV’s in most states including Connecticut do not allow altered engine numbers, paperwork, or license plates. I have gone thru this in both New York and Connecticut. Must be original unaltered.

In Old Saybrook, the supervisor had to approve the plates. In New York I had to send pictures of antique plates to DMV in Albany, they could not approve at local DMV.

Must be able to clearly read plate. There are a lot of vintage plates for sale. You should be able to find a set of good ones. Also, most volume sellers will tell you to check with your local DMV if you are planning on using them on the road.

Yes, there are likely exceptions. Some of us just get lucky.

Enjoy.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #11
alexiskai

Default Connecticut license plate color

Makes me glad to live in NC, where the state could not care less what you use for YOM plates. Wrong color, wrong state, wrong year, they don’t care.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

You might find this site interesting. Your plate is probably on it.
http://www.worldlicenseplates.com

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #13
McMimmcs

I chose to run two plates on the vehicle. One current and one historic. I’ve had No problem at all.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #14
KGBnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
You might find this site interesting. Your plate is probably on it.
http://www.worldlicenseplates.com

Charlie Stephens
Charlie,

That was a very interesting site. Amongst the other things I found on that site were images of Connecticut plates through the years. It included the attached images. These plates appear to be original paint. If so, these are the clearest color images I have seen of original paint plates. The 1930 plate is labeled as "white on dark blue." However, it sure looks like black to me, especially in comparison to the 1932 plate, also labeled "white on dark blue" which is clearly blue.

I don't know if this clarifies the debate or not, but I certainly found it interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg US_CTXX_GI2.jpeg (29.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #15
McMimmcs

If any doubt why not go directly to the DMV and ask the horses mouth.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #16
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
Charlie,

That was a very interesting site. Amongst the other things I found on that site were images of Connecticut plates through the years. It included the attached images. These plates appear to be original paint. If so, these are the clearest color images I have seen of original paint plates. The 1930 plate is labeled as "white on dark blue." However, it sure looks like black to me, especially in comparison to the 1932 plate, also labeled "white on dark blue" which is clearly blue.

I don't know if this clarifies the debate or not, but I certainly found it interesting.
You guys really have to go to ct.gov. The State of Connecticut web site has the true info for all years. Believe me, no question, the State says Black with White letters/numbers for 1930.

We’re talking about what the State says were the colors used each year.

Good conversation.

Enjoy.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #17
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Yes, there are likely exceptions. Some of us just get lucky.
I should recount my registration story.

One the car was finished, it was coming in to CT with a SD title. I had to do the safety inspection and the inspector wanted to see the VIN number. He wasn't that familiar, but seemed aware early cars had them on the frame. I showed him the engine number (which matches) and the SD title (which matches). He says that's fine, but I need to see it on the frame. I said no way I'm disassembling the car to that level, and it just isn't practical here in the DMV inspection lane. Finally a higher up comes over, looks at the title and the engine and sends me through.

So I'm hoping with pristine authentic plates and a copy of the statute, I'll get through with correct but not original paint. And lets face it, the Model A isn't going to outrun any cops in case they need to ever make a positive ID.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #18
fuzes45

Had difficult time with Ct Dmv, cleaned plate and painted, they said since i modified it could not get permission to use. Took paint off with stripper and tried Dmv office where it was ok to use before. I put two names on registration and wanted to get it on all documentation the same.
If you have an original plate do not modify it or clean it up. Running plate with rusty look plates. With DMV dealing with dull knives in the drawer.

Bob
fuzes45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #19
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzes45 View Post
Had difficult time with Ct Dmv, cleaned plate and painted, they said since i modified it could not get permission to use. Took paint off with stripper and tried Dmv office where it was ok to use before. I put two names on registration and wanted to get it on all documentation the same.
If you have an original plate do not modify it or clean it up. Running plate with rusty look plates. With DMV dealing with dull knives in the drawer.

Bob
So the solution is register the plate and paint it later.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #20
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
So the solution is register the plate and paint it later.
Sounds logical to me. KISS