Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2021, 07:42 AM   #1
jhswolf

Default Early V8 Publications

Good Morning,
Does anyone have recommendations on service/repair/restoration manuals that would be most applicable to a '34 Ford Pickup, 6v?

I'm not looking to convert/modify anything at this stage, I'm just wanting to have guides that I can study and be able to fix/restore things on the truck as well as identify parts numbers.

I've found the following manuals in various places online but I have limited funds and don't want to spend money on manuals that aren't really useful.

Conversely, are there any other manuals out there that I've missed and should get?

1. Ford Engine and Chassis Shop Manual V8 Repair 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 Service (Green cover)

2. Ford Generator and Starter Repair Shop Manual 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 (Yellow cover)

3. Ford Service Bulletin Manual CD 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 Car Truck Repair (CD)

4. Ford Chassis Parts and Accessory Catalog, (Trucks 28 - 47, Green cover)

5. 1933 - 34 Ford Book Restoration Manual (hardcover or spiral)

As always, thank you for your guidance and patience. I am looking forward to the day that I can get this truck fired up.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. Ford V8 Manual.jpg (40.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2. Generator and starter repair manual.jpg (15.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 3. Service Bulletins, CD.jpg (40.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 4. Chassis parts and acceessories, a, green.jpg (9.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 5. 33-34FordBook, spiral.jpg (25.1 KB, 5 views)
jhswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: Early V8 Publications

IMO, the first three would be "the best" to get for repair information....AS to being "Truck" specific, not sure if the listed books will cover "Truck" specific information like you most likely want. I will have to look at my 33-34 EFV8 club restoration book to see just how in depth it goes for "trucks" BUT I suspect that its like the 33-34 4cyl cars and is somewhat "lacking" in that specific area. IF you can, over time, all 5 you have listed are worth buying AS you cannot loose having too much information!!!!! You find them ALL helpful in your journey with your truck!!!!

Good luck
Rockfla
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
DavidG

The only commercial vehicle addressed in the V8 Club's current '33-34 book is the station wagon. The drive trains are covered (not well in the case of the fours, as Robert notes) as they are the same as the passenger cars except for their cast iron cylinder heads. Coverage of all the '33-'34 commercial vehicles, big trucks, and overseas production will be included in the forthcoming new version of the book.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
jhswolf

Rockfla and David G.

Thank you for the responses. I'll go with the first three and maybe wait for the new version of the V8 Club's book. (I sent my membership application in today).

Given the lack of information on 34 trucks, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that some of the driveline and electrical systems are close enough to a passenger car that I might be able to get by for the time being. Right now, I have nothing at all documentation wise. Thank goodness for the many experts here on this forum and the internet.

Regards,
John
Old 11-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #5
rockfla

You "should" Find that to pretty much be the case. Honestly the "truck" specific info you "may" seek you should find several on here more than capable to answer your needs
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #6
jhswolf

Copy that Rockfla. I haven't been a member long, but this is one of the most active forums I've seen in a long time.
Thanks!
Old 11-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #7
DavidG

Assuming it is V8 powered, other than the different material used for the cylinder heads, the engine, transmission, rear axle, and all of their bolt-on parts were the same as those used in the '34 passenger cars.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:56 PM   #8
Tinker

If you want to also pick up some other flathead material to expand you library. Here's a few. Not all is a 'how too do' only publications. But reading them does give you some understanding. I've found there is no one publication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rmi.jpg (68.3 KB, 29 views)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:28 AM   #9
totto

DavidG is "right on" with respect to pickups for 1934 drive train: same as cars. The pickups for that year used same drive train as cars and had on extra leaf in springs than cars. The bodies were different than cars(as we know). I bought the 1932 Early Ford V8 restorers book that DavidG wrote and it covers 1932 pickups and trucks in pretty good detail. The truck/pickup bodies were very similar to what was offered in '33-'34.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
corvette8n

John, welcome to the Barn, keep your eye on eBay lots of those books show up there, be patient to get the lowest price. I think the chassis parts guide is also on cd.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
jhswolf

DavidG, Tinker, Totto, and Corvette8n,
Thank you for the insights in the commonalities between the pickup and cars. I'm not quite as lost as before. I will be adding these books to my library.

A colleague and I were working with the Japanese for many years on a long-term engineering project and he had a favorite saying: "We are leading them along the path of guided self-discovery". I feel my role is reversed here and I am so grateful for all the experts on this site as I "discover" the early Ford V8.

John
Old 11-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

If your goal is a concourse restoration, keep in mind some of the books list replacement parts that will fit and work perfectly but will not be the same as it rolled off the assembly line.
You are in the right place, especially for that year and having DavidG post answers. Welcome.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote