Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
leo

Exclamation Philanthropy for the Future of the Hobby

This is a great idea for the future of the hobby, all makes and models. We have funded museums for the hobby and that's great. Now we need to think about saving all the older cars going to the crusher before they are all gone. Where will future car restorers find parts for their restorations that are not being reproduced? With all the open space in this country surely someone with means or maybe clubs like MAFCA, MARC and the AACA could champion the cause of collecting and storing all cars and trucks more than say 25 years old for future use which would be headed for scrap. There could be several locations in the country where the vehicles could be kept far away from the eyes of people who think of this as an eyesore. The vehicles could be separated into two groups, those still worthy as restoration candidates and parts cars. A huge database could be created to track the inventory which hobbyists could access. I know this sounds like a huge effort and it would be but if we don't address this now the entire hobby could be profoundly effected in the future. We are truly fortunate in this country that so many cars have been saved up to now from being scraped, but time is growing short. How many cars are currently being passed over as restoration projects because we say that would be great to restore but where are you going to find parts?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
wmpv29

Default Re: Philanthropy for the Future of the Hobby

Leo, your first sentence says it all! It's even Bibical according to Proverbs 29:18(KJV)

wmpv29
WJ Malone
Hot Springs, AR
wmpv29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
mshmodela

The cars worth money, no person in their right mind would destroy them. In fact we all have seem examples of barn finds or worse off field finds that are worth a few hundred dollar:

So fear not... The model A will do just fine!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
DougVieyra

Mike, yes, the future of the Ford Model A (and T) is firmly secured, due to the thousands of cars that have been restored and the seemingly endless supply of newly manufactured parts.

However, I think the main idea of Leo's post, is not so much the Ford Model A, but all those other less fortunate marques that do not have the Ford's numbers or support. How about the 1929 Hubmobile, or the 1934 Graham, or the 1932 Pontiac, 1928 Reo, 1928 Chandler, 1928 Chevrolet (gasp!), 1929 Willys Knight, etc.

I have owned all of the above cars and used them as every-day drivers. I had to let them go and settle on a Ford Model A, because it was the only car (besides a Ford Model T) that I could get parts for and maintain with any assurance of a future reliability of a parts source.

These other cars, often times referred to as "orphan" cars, can only survive in extremely small numbers in private hands, and in musuems.

That being said, I believe that the situration we now have in preserving 'orphans' will continue to work satisfactorily, and without the giagantic effort as proposed by Leo.

- Doug Vieyra, Automotive Historian (arm chair)
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Roadster62

Sorry I don't have time or money to worry about post WWII cars I have no interest in. Bob
Old 09-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
However, I think the main idea of Leo's post, is not so much the Ford Model A, but all those other less fortunate marques that do not have the Ford's numbers or support.

I agree. Leo did mention "all cars and trucks more than say 25 years old for future use". I have a 1955 Ford Ranchwagon in addition to my '30 and it is getting harder to find good used parts (non-repo) for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
That being said, I believe that the situration we now have in preserving 'orphans' will continue to work satisfactorily, and without the giagantic effort as proposed by Leo.

I wish people would think before crushing an older car that altho it means nothing to them it may mean something to someone else...

As far as someone storing all the old cars and parts as Leo suggests 'ain't gunna happen'.

You hear all the time that a farmer that was "collecting old cars on the back 40 passes and a grandson/daughter comes in and "clears the land of that old junk".
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
dlfrisch

Leo, there are places that equipment - cars, planes, etc. can be saved, but who would own and / or maintain a company or a facility of such ? Like Doug said, in the future times, vehicles can best be saved or survive the recyclable yard, is by individual owners in private hands and in museums. We, at this time in history, must save what we fine, if we can.
Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
ModAfan

Originally Posted by DougVieyra
However, I think the main idea of Leo's post, is not so much the Ford Model A, but all those other less fortunate marques that do not have the Ford's numbers or support.

FYI - This is what happens to them:

Extinct Car Day at Larz Anderson Auto Museum
Event Dates: October 25, 2014 - October 25, 2014
Have you ever wondered what happened to all those cars from the defunct companies from many years ago? Here at Larz in October, many of them come together for one exciting day dedicated to all those extinct, but never forgotten automobiles. Don’t miss this opportunity to view hundreds of extinct cars, some of which you may have never seen. The show starts at 10am and runs until 2pm. Car registration is $15 per car and includes the driver and one passenger. If you per-register in advance, the fee is reduced to $10 per car.
Spectator admission is Adults, $10. Military, seniors, students and children 6-12, $5 and children under 6 are free. Museum members are always free! The Museum is open for your viewing until 4pm.
Lunch will be available on site for purchase.
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
bart78

Finding people to store others cars on their property will be pretty tough. I am fortunate that my family owns quite a bit of land. I can hoard cars out of site of others including my wife. You can see that there are still places out there to find many of these cars. By looking at the auction in oklahoma in a couple of weeks. These places are out there. And more that people think. There are going to be times when the crusher will win them all. A collection of cars and parts that are so big can be overwhelming. I have seen four very large hoards of 20's-50's cars crushed in the past ten years. If someone did make a place to keep a ton of cars. Then you would have some that would get mad because of the hoarding. Even though the major hoarders I think will be more of a service for the future than the present.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
leo

I'm glad I sparked some feedback. I say again, who in the future is going to be able to do a restoration if there are no cars to restore or parts to restore them with? It's worth a thought.......
Old 09-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
bart78

There will be cars and parts. It might one day go back to pre internet days. And be a little harder to find parts. There are still people that are fairly young that are hoarding.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
redmodelt

Hoarding is not the same as making available for use!
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
bart78

Yes but he is talking about the future. People gripe about hoarders. But a day comes when their stuff gets sold. The auction up in oklahoma is a perfect example. How much of that stuff did that guy save from going to scrap?
Old 09-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
dumb person

i save stuff. i don't see many others doing it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #15
freak

What parts on this car are worth saving...?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4654150774.html
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #16
DougVieyra

The Bumper Guard. I have one, I need a mate.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
Tudortomnz

I do not think there is too much to worry about concerning the so called ''classic cars'', especially if we are talking of American made automobiles. Many people want them, & not just within the USA.
If we are talking of cars around 25yrs old or a bit more, well really this is all Japanese made ; we have had wholesale Japanese domination since the 1970's here. The early ones maybe are collectable & interesting now [ I have some early Jap small motorcycles as an interest] & I have nothing against Japanese cars & we own some.
They are what American cars were in the pre War era here ; very well made & great value for the money.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #18
leo

Hey freak, we laugh now but 50 years from now that may be considered a real find if there is nothing else left to start with.
Tudortownz, I believe I understand you but correct me if I'm wrong, New Zealand has no domestic auto industry to preserve historically or currently and we do. I'm hoping that we can succeed in that endeavour.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #19
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
What parts on this car are worth saving...?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4654150774.html

All of it? Got to start somewhere.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
Gary loves Fords

I admire your hopes of preservation leo. The problem with the idea is that the future generation(s) will be collecting and restoring completely different vehicles, that you or I grew up with and coveted with reverance. My 45 year old Son, wanted a BMW roadster, instead of a 1950's classic I suggested. The classic cars from the 1930's through the 1960's, that have survived, will surely end up in museums and private collections. Your idea and suggestion is very valad, however I doubt it will ever happen. Regards, Gary
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote