Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #41
scicala

Default Re: fordamatic

Nice job on the FordOmatic .

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #42
Crestliner2

So just getting onto this site, I have a 52 Crestline Victoria with the Ford a Matic. I have a few questions concerning this beast of a transmission, taking into consideration that one is in good shape how reliable is the Ford A Matic? and my second question is where to get a rebuild kit for one should I eventually need to rebuild the trans. I know a C4 could be put in but I like to keep it original if possible. Currently I have a little bit of a wine coming from the trans i think? is this something that I should be concerned about or is it old age? I am using Type F trans fluid which I think is correct. Is there an additive that folks are using in these transmissions I'm not big on snake oil but thought I would ask thanks guys
Crestliner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #43
rotorwrench

The Ford-O-Matic and Merc-O-Matic are reliable as any of the early automatic transmissions. There are still a few folks in the US that specialize in parts for them. Adds would be in Hemmings or the Early Ford V8 Club magazines.

As to oil seepage, it just depends on where it's coming from. The pan gasket is the easy source. The others like the front and rear seal & torque converter are the harder ones. Type F ATF is fine, Ford formulated it in the late 60s for metallic clutch type transmissions to minimize the chance of slippage. The original type A is not available in its original blend anyway. As long as oil isn't drooling out all over the place and only spotting the garage floor then it's up to the operator if they want to correct that.

The C4 is a very good transmission but it would need provisions for an oil cooler and of cource it would need an adapter and a vacuum line for the modulator control system. The FOM and MOM use a throttle control valve with associated linkage to control shifting. A person who runs one of these units should get the proper factory manual for maintenance and adjustment if nothing else. Anyone that can do a good job of overhaul on hydraulic transmissions in general should be able to work on an FOM but they will need those Ford publications to get them in the right spot. These units aren't like any modern units and many techs have never seen one before. Some one with experience on them would know all the quirks and adjustments to correct for that.

If its still shifting in all three forward gear selections and reverse then that's a good thing. If it shifts too soft & mushy or too fast & harsh then the pressure should be tested and the TV control adjusted to get it right.

Don't be skittish about starting a new thread. These old threads just keep getting longer if folks add on to them.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-21-2021 at 11:49 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #44
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The Ford-O-Matic and Merc-O-Matic are reliable as any of the early automatic transmissions. There are still a few folks in the US that specialize in parts for them. Adds would be in Hemmings or the Early Ford V8 Club magazines.

As to oil seepage, it just depends on where it's coming from. The pan gasket is the easy source. The others like the front and rear seal & torque converter are the harder ones. Type F ATF is fine, Ford formulated it in the late 60s for metallic clutch type transmissions to minimize the chance of slippage. The original type A is not available in its original blend anyway. As long as oil isn't drooling out all over the place and only spotting the garage floor then it's up to the operator if they want to correct that.

The C4 is a very good transmission but it would need provisions for an oil cooler and of cource it would need an adapter and a vacuum line for the modulator control system. The FOM and MOM use a throttle control valve with associated linkage to control shifting. A person who runs one of these units should get the proper factory manual for maintenance and adjustment if nothing else. Anyone that can do a good job of overhaul on hydraulic transmissions in general should be able to work on an FOM but they will need those Ford publications to get them in the right spot. These units aren't like any modern units and many techs have never seen one before. Some one with experience on them would know all the quirks and adjustments to correct for that.

If its still shifting in all three forward gear selections and reverse then that's a good thing. If it shifts too soft & mushy or too fast & harsh then the pressure should be tested and the TV control adjusted to get it right.

Don't be skittish about starting a new thread. These old threads just keep getting longer if folks add on to them.
Just a reminder of one quirk of this trans. It is a three speed, but normally starts out in 2nd when the lever in D position. 1st has to selected manually by putting the lever in L. It will not upshift in L so must be shifted back to D.
If I remember correctly, the first years of the FordoMatic did not kick down to 1st with full throttle but later years did. Try it on your '52 to see if it does.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:07 PM   #45
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWRIDER View Post
As a 18yr old I converted my 56 CV from an automatic to a standard and don't recall cutting anything.
I would love to convert my 57 Skyliner over to a 5-speed, but it's done except 2 pieces of weatherstripping. Gosh I hate to start in again. And I might add, that every time I try to hire something out; 1) it ends up costing about 3 times more than I think it should, 2) I have to take it back because something is found to be not right, 3) I end up fixing it myself because I don't trust em' to fix their screwup.

Besides, I have heard hanging that 3rd pedal in there is no fun.

Last edited by Gene F; 09-21-2021 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #46
paul2748

I changed my 54 from a Fordo to a stick and hanging that third pedal was no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I would love to convert my 57 Skyliner over to a 5-speed, but it's done except 2 pieces of weatherstripping. Gosh I hate to start in again. And I might add, that every time I try to hire something out; 1) it ends up costing about 3 times more than I think it should, 2) I have to take it back because something is found to be not right, 3) I end up fixing it myself because I don't trust em' to fix their screwup.

Besides, I have heard hanging that 3rd pedal in there is no fun.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #47
Crestliner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Just a reminder of one quirk of this trans. It is a three speed, but normally starts out in 2nd when the lever in D position. 1st has to selected manually by putting the lever in L. It will not upshift in L so must be shifted back to D.
If I remember correctly, the first years of the FordoMatic did not kick down to 1st with full throttle but later years did. Try it on your '52 to see if it does.
your memory serves you correctly on how these girls go through the gears. My Dad told me once long ago that you can shift these manually if you know what your doing or maybe if you know how to abuse them, something about holding it in low then up to drive then back to low to hold second gear, then back to drive for high gear? anyway that was back in the days of plenty of spare parts when you blew it up. I have tried the kick down and it only goes to second on the kick down, either thats the way it suppose to work or my kick down needs adjustment. Thanks guys for the feedback. Can anybody recommend and good Dodge/Plymouth flathead six forum hope thats not sacrilegious! on a Ford site.
Crestliner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #48
rotorwrench

The go to transmission replacements seem to be the later AOD transmission if an automatic is favored but the conversion kits are up there in price to do it.

The guys that likely know the Chrysler flat 6 are the ones that play with the old Sherman tanks that had the Chrysler Multi-Bank engines in them. They had five 250.6 engines grafted together into one engine.

Chrysler made a butt load of different flat six engines over the years. They used them clear up until 1959 or so. There are bound to be some computer savy internet surfers that are into the old Mopar flat sixes.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #49
KULTULZ

Cool Re: fordamatic

Let's see ...

L for LEAP
D for DRAG
N for GEORGIA OVERDRIVE
R for RACE
P for PURSUIT (use only if RACE slows her down).

That's the way I remember it ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #50
5851a

New for 1955 Speed trigger fordomatic drive.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #51
KULTULZ

Post Re: fordamatic

Operating the SINGLE-RANGE FORD-O-MATIC here -

http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manua...Page13_jpg.htm

1956 FORD OWNERS MANUAL - Look @ PAGES 13-15

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:07 AM   #52
down-the-road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestliner2 View Post
Can anybody recommend and good Dodge/Plymouth flathead six forum hope thats not sacrilegious! on a Ford site.
Check in at this site: "The forums of P15-D24.Com, Mopar cars and trucks from mid 1930s to late 1950s"

I found some helpful information there.
down-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #53
KULTULZ

- F/M MAXIMUM ACCELERATION METHOD -

TAKE-OFF IN LOW ...

Hold in LOW until desired RPM is reached ...

Move shift lever to DRIVE for 2nd gear and pull back down into LOW ...

This will hold the trans in 2nd gear ...

Move lever to DRIVE once desired RPM is reached.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 09-23-2021, 10:18 AM   #54
delco1946

Kultulz - does this only work in early fordos that dont kickdown by gassing it? if i touch the gas in low it drops me in to first. The only way i can "drive" in second while in low if i was going fast in drive, downshift to Low and then coast (really only used when descending hills).
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #55
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by delco1946 View Post
Kultulz - does this only work in early fordos that dont kickdown by gassing it? if i touch the gas in low it drops me in to first. The only way i can "drive" in second while in low if i was going fast in drive, downshift to Low and then coast (really only used when descending hills).
As far as I know, all FM's would start in 1st gear if the throttle was at WOT at START (depending on correct TV ROD ADJ).

The 1950-54 FM was a joint design/manufactured by BW and FOMOCO so there is probably a lot that I am not aware of with those model years. 1955/1960 was FORD design specific.

The above description was how to use for maximum acceleration on street/track.

As for downshifting, you are correct. On a down
grade you would pull the lever into L to slow and control vehicle speed and the trans would go into 2nd gear. As the vehicle slowed and the road speed and RPM was at a certain point, it would go into first (with selector lever still in LOW).

All of this depends on proper adjustment(s) and calibration of the trans being used.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 09-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #56
Gene F

Well before I put the tri-power on my 57, (had a 2BBL) if I floored it from the start it would upshift twice. I have not tried it since I put the tri-power on the thing. Guess maybe I should some time.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #57
55blacktie

My 1988 Mustang 5.0/w AOD held 2nd the same way as my 55 Fordomatic. Once the transmission goes into 2nd, you have to quickly downshift to L/1st. The AOD, however, does start out in L/1st, unlike the Fordomatic. Like the Fordomatic, the AOD does not have a vacuum modulator valve.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote