Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2022, 05:04 PM   #41
Billyo194

Default Re: New to FORD BARN - 1st question

*** UPDATE ***
Well fellas, I have given it one month to try to break free. No luck. Tried the Marvel, sucked it back out, tried ATF, sucked it back out and last two weeks was two cans of PB Blaster in the four plug holes. No luck - Still seized.

So this past weekend I got an engine stand from Harbor Freight and the adapter from Berts. Buddy lent me an engine hoist and out came the engine. I followed Les Andrews book to a T and everything but the side engine pans came out nicely (don't know why I was trying to keep the nuts/bolts, but after an hour of trying to break the side pan nuts off, I just cut them - should have just grinded them off).

I have the still frozen engine on the stand and am slowly removing things. The head came off surprisingly well by putting it on the stand and keeping tension on the hoist. I loosened the head nuts a half turn each and left to go grab a sandwich. When I returned, there was a nice equal opening all the way around head. I did one more full turn to each head nut and gave it an hour and came back out to find the head again nicely coming up equally. Just did this for the next hour until the head was up about an inch or so, then rubber malleted struck it back down to seat and pulled back up and it came right up and off... I was thinking the head was NOT GOING TO BE FUN, but I sure surprised myself. There is enough rust in the top of the pistons from the plugs being left out that I don't think "honing" will work, these guys are going to have to be re-bored I I have that right. I visited a couple engine shops yesterday.. one told me to bring it back in 6 months and the other passed on the work. Looks like I am going to have to get some more research done and keep learning about this old girl. I've reached out to some local groups and will be spending some time with them over the next few weeks.

Engine pan came off nicely and the engine from below actually looks brand new... nice and clean and hardly any sludge in the pan from over 30 years of no-use.

Been really enjoying my time searching around the FORDBARN. Looked up a ton of threads on pulling the head studs so that is this week's job.

Last edited by Billyo194; 05-17-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Billyo194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:11 PM   #42
BrianH

Welcome, glad to hear your going to get the A running again. You started off good with getting Les Andrews book. You might want to look at some You tube video's by Paul Shinn. As many suggested you find a local club you should look into the national clubs as well. MAFCA Model A Ford Club of America and/or MARC Model A Restorers Club. I belong to both.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-18-2022, 06:37 AM   #43
nkaminar

Billy, Nice work so far. Try some rust desolver like Evapo-rust, https://www.evapo-rust.com/ to break the pistons free. Clean out as much as you can first. It is too bad that the plugs were left out. Or just give it to the rebuilder with the pistons still in.

You may have to go a distance to find someone who will rebuild the engine. You can ship it or just throw it in the back of your car or truck and drive it there. Search for Model A engine rebuilding and then search on the Barn for recommendations on shops to rebuild engines.

If you pull the crankshaft mark the caps on the rods and mains to keep track of where they go and keep track of the shims. If, as you say, that the bottom end is good, then the rebuilder can just bore and hone for new pistons and you can re assemble the engine. The block may need to be decked and the valve seats re cut. If not there already, adjustable lifters and modern valves are a good idea. Have the rebuilder install hardened valve seats.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 05-18-2022 at 06:51 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote