Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2022, 09:36 AM   #21
Chris Marshall

Default Re: Adding a remote brake resevoir onto firewall

Many years ago I had a 1939 Railway Express Agency delivery truck. This was built on a '39 Ford 3/4 ton driveaway chassis. Not sure who built the body but it was somewhat similar to today's UPS or FedEx delivery truck bodies. This truck had a remote fill for the master cylinder on the firewall. Only one I've ever seen. Not sure if this was factory Ford or added by the body manufacturer, but it was original to the truck. As an aside, that truck was an original V860 3/4 ton. I may have photos, but will have to dig to find them.
Chris Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #22
GB SISSON

Chris, dig away! V8 60 in a boxy delivery truck? I hope it was downhill both ways.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #23
GB SISSON

I now have the brake fluid hose from speedway and the two hose barb fittings. Today I drilled and tapped the cap but now I need to fill these two breather holes. My thought is drilling them out just a bit to assure the hole is clean new metal, then inserting copper wire that's snug and then soldering it. I seem to remember heating something made of pot metal and watching it flatten into a molten puddle right before my eyes. I need some guidence here. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap tapped.jpg (78.3 KB, 9 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-20-2022, 08:11 AM   #24
51504bat

Maybe JB Weld?
Old 05-20-2022, 08:58 AM   #25
cmbrucew

Gary
Jif peanut butter comes in heavy duty plastic jars with a screwed on lid.
Bruce
Old 05-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #26
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Gary
Jif peanut butter comes in heavy duty plastic jars with a screwed on lid.
Bruce
But I still have to close up the vent holes in the cap below.

And BAT, In researching I read in a couple places that JB Weld does not stand up to brake fluid. I have thought about using that thread sealer that is recommended and drilling and tapping the vent holes for a set screw like a #4 . A very small pipe plug would be nice.....
Old 05-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #27
5851a

Studebaker and Packard Hawks used a firewall remote reservoir. Did brakes on a Jensen Interceptor once and it had remote also. Owner supplied all parts and had them shipped from Britian. The reservoir hose needed replaced also. Owner had one sent. Really nice-looking hose, cloth braided with color trace like old wiring loom. If you're just looking for the bellofram in a small size like your drip cup. Check out some of the 80's upward Fords or other brands since they all went to hydraulic clutches and have small firewall mounted remote reservoirs.
5851a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:00 PM   #28
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Studebaker and Packard Hawks used a firewall remote reservoir. Did brakes on a Jensen Interceptor once and it had remote also. Owner supplied all parts and had them shipped from Britian. The reservoir hose needed replaced also. Owner had one sent. Really nice-looking hose, cloth braided with color trace like old wiring loom. If you're just looking for the bellofram in a small size like your drip cup. Check out some of the 80's upward Fords or other brands since they all went to hydraulic clutches and have small firewall mounted remote reservoirs.
The drip oiler has a brass tube down the center which holds the top and bottom drawn tight against the gaskets. I have 3 vehicles I want to do this to so I'm thinking the next one will have a removeable lid for a bellows diaphram. Also, Loctite recommends their 545 thread sealer for use on threaded hydraulic and brake fittings, so will thread the vent holes for #4s and get the 545..
Old 05-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #29
Chris Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Chris, dig away! V8 60 in a boxy delivery truck? I hope it was downhill both ways.
Took a bit longer to find pics than I had planned, but here they are. Unfortunately the remote mc fill is not in the engine bay pic, but was at the far drivers side of the firewall. Note what appears to be a governor under the carb on the 60!!

This was certainly no speed demon based on the shift points on the speedometer face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01170.jpg (48.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01171.jpg (103.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01173.jpg (68.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01174.jpg (68.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01175.jpg (56.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01176.jpg (70.0 KB, 25 views)
Chris Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:42 PM   #30
Mart

For what it's worth, I bought a master cylinder from Rockauto recently and the cap is 2 piece. It would be suitable for a conversion to remote reservoir. I effectively did the same when converting the cap for use with a pressure bleeder. The middle hole can be tapped 1/8 NPT and fittings adapted to it.
Here is the make and part number.
DYNAMIC FRICTION 35555007 (355-55007)
A part number search finds it straight away.
Mart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pbleed.jpg (128.3 KB, 38 views)
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:01 AM   #31
GB SISSON

Mart, that is a great find! Still seems that their cap would have to vent somehow. I have been too busy at work to finish my system. Just need the loctite 545 to seal the soon to be threaded vent holes.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:06 AM   #32
Mart

GB, the second part that screws into the main cap has the vent hole in it. It's quite a neat setup.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:15 PM   #33
GB SISSON

Wonder if they'd sell me 3 'replacement' caps? All my master cyls are under 5 years old....
Old 05-28-2022, 06:00 AM   #34
burnette

hi all ! i found my old mastercylinder and the cap aluminuin . not sure i can modify it . treads are kinda bass - turd . 1 1/4 by 16 treads . i would really like to find a metal cap .
while doing some research i found a military guy who sells a kit . not sure it would fit !
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:03 AM   #35
burnette

https://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/pr...-reservoir-kit
heres the link for the kit.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:07 AM   #36
burnette

not sure the kit comes with the cap ! last pictures shows a brass looking cap, but its not seen on the other pictures . i was meaning to phone him ,but been quit busy lately.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:24 AM   #37
PeteVS

I was just going to post that somewhere, sometime ago, I've seen a master cylinder with a white plastic reservoir that plugs into the top of the cylinder through a rubber grommet. I remember thinking it was neat that one could see the level without having to open anything up.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:48 AM   #38
burnette

repaired my leaking rear left wheel yesterday ,only to find that my cap on the master cylinder is more like 1 5/8 . i had a friend measure the old one ,but he was not around so its a rough guess . i was looking for 1 1/4 ,but i need bigger !!!