Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2022, 07:13 PM   #41
dad's deuce roadster

Default Re: 8ba good bellhousing, starter cover rusted out

Apparently our transmission is a 32 to 34 range. My understanding is that pretty much locks us into the 9" clutch.

As for or the starter cover, on closer inspection it is not so much rusted out as it is grenaded from a starter failure I assume.
dad's deuce roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:17 PM   #42
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad's deuce roadster View Post
Can we use the clutch, pressure plate, etc. which were being used with the 59A engine. These are 9 inch and with drilling the 8BA flywheel to bolt to the clutch it would seem to work.

Note the plan is to build the engine to about 305 ci.
I really don't know. When I did mine, I talked to one of the "old-timers" up here who told me what fit what. The only thing I can think of is that the differences between the flywheels may lead to throw out bearing fitment problems. Try to mock it up and see.

With a stout 300+ ci flathead, a 9" clutch may not be enough.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-19-2022, 10:34 PM   #43
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad's deuce roadster View Post
Apparently our transmission is a 32 to 34 range. My understanding is that pretty much locks us into the 9" clutch.
I'm not worrying about the clutch holding up anymore. Now it's the transmission. That combination is a grenade waiting to happen.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:52 AM   #44
cas3

The 9" clutch is a good thing, lighter, mo better. you just have to consider what HP you expect to have with your motor. My 59a with a merc crank and merc cam will slip a 9", new from FT Wayne. Similar Merc motor would be 115 HP i think. In the old world they had heavier springs put into the 9" PP for more HP. FT Wayne will do that if you tell them, sadly, I did not, and it needs to come apart. I have to disagree with tubman here, the early trannys have the same size bearings and shafts, the main difference is the synchro design. the early style works fine when in good shape, if not, I would upgrade to the 39 style syncro's, which will fit in the early case with some foolin around
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:56 AM   #45
tubman

I stand by what I said, although I may clarify it a bit. Any early box behind a built 300+ ci flathead is a problem waiting to happen. This from a guy who had a '39 box with good later gears, new bearings and synchronizers behind a 276 ci Merc with a 390 Holley, Offenhauser heads, a MAX-1 cam and MSD ignition. Sure, it'll live if you "pussy-foot" it, but why then go to the considerable expense of building such a beast? If you do, after the first 6 months of babying it around, you will give in to the "I wonder what this will really do" impulse. I did, with predictable results. Oh yeah, and then there are the rear axles.

Either build a smaller engine or buy narrow hard rear tires.