Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
jfcrash

Default Phaeton windshield frame to body seal

Need guidance …….

I am ready to install the Phaeton’s windshield frame to body rubber seal. The gasket set was purchased from D Sparado’s 6-8 yrs ago…it came in three separate pieces, one long piece for the bottom edge and two shorter pieces for the sides.
There are no mitered corners and each length is a little longer than the frame.

Whats the best way to pull thru the grooves in the frame, I assume I will cut the corners at a 45 degree angle…..but what do you bond the two corners with?

Or is there a better way to go??

Thanks,Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Phaeton windshield frame to body seal

I'd first check around to see if any one is offering a one-piece, bonded corner rubber seal.

If not, first clean the rubber with something like lacquer thinner to remove the release agent residue which is inevitably on reproduction rubber parts and then spray it with aresol clear silicone. Also spray the channel in the windshield frame with the silicone. (Test fit the rubber in the windshield frame first as no silicone will be required if it is loose fit, but if it is a tight fit, the silicone will make the job a lot easier.)

After you install the lower and side pieces of rubber mark your diagonal cuts and after cutting clean around the diagonal corner with lacquer thinner or similar solvent that will remove the silicone (if it was required). There's a Permatex black rubber sealer/adhesive available at most hardware stores which will serve to join the diagonal corners. After the sealer/adhesive is dry, you can smooth off the joint with lacquer thinner. I've done this on several frames' rubber seals and the sealer/adhesive has held up for decades.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
DICK SPADARO

Since you bought the items from me I'll give you a procedure that I use.

First to my knowledge there is no one piece gasket available.

Now the the gasket is a two part piece. Thinner section for the side of the frame , wider section for the bottom.

To start the operation, measure the gasket out to 2 equal sides and the bottom. the pieces should be long enough to over lap the lower corners of the frame. This will allow you sufficient material to miter the corners.

To begin installation, use liquid dishwash detergent, (like Ivory Liquid) as a lubricant, do not use silicone spray, WD-40 or similar lubricants . You can slightly dilute the detergent with a liitle water but you can use it straight also. This cleans up much easier than spray lubes and does not leave a film. Wipe down the T edge of the seal with detergent to fully coat both sides and edge, lube down the lower trough of the windshield frame and begin to install the gasket making sure you have an over hang on each end. The gasket can be install in a variation of ways but I inset lower edge of the seal in the frame at the middle and then use a popcicle stick or plastic letter opener to push in on the top edge of the seal and guide the seal into place working toward each end. Before you get to the end you take a razor blade and trim away the "T" of the T mold crossection from the gasket to a point just inside the junction of the frames side T run. This leaves a flap for mitering.

Now repeat the same process on the side seals starting at the top and going to the junction at the bottom corner. Once at the bottom corner again using a razor blade remove the T edge of the gasket leaving a flap to cover the flap of the lower frame seal.

Now using warm water wash the liquid detergent off the frame and let it dry.

After the frame and gasket has the detergent cleaned off and dried, the next step it to miter the corners, do this by cutting overlapping the flaps and cutting them at an angle with a sharp razor blade or utility knife blade.

Now to join these in a one piece bond as David mentioned , you are going to use black "Shoo Glue", this is stuff sold in Hardwares stores for rubber repair. Fold the corners of the mitered seal edges back and put a coating of this rubber adhesive on both mitered edges and join them together. To make a molded seal look, take scotch tape or clear plastic box tape and tape the corners on both sides to fasten them together. Smooth out the tape to squeeze out any extra adhesive. Allow the rubber adhesive to dry at least 6 hours and then remove the tape. You should see what looks like a nice factory molded seal.

At the junction of the windshild cone stud just take a pair of sharp pointed sissors and clip and remove the rubber in the area so you can screw the pivot stud in and you should be good to go.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
jfcrash

Dave, Dick thank you for your responses….

I did find a roadster/phaeton “bonded” seal 40-711190 on-line which I assume means one piece….but since I have the two part kit from Dick S in hand and the process is very explicated and straight forward, I will go with what I have.

Thank you, Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote