Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
T Scott

Default 34 RHD firewall

I have a 34 Argentinian RHD coupe. The original hacked up firewall has been replaced with one from a USA car. On a typical USA car the wiring harness is routed through an oblong hole through the firewall just right of center. (when facing firewall). Just left of center, again when facing firewall, there is a circular knockout in much the same respective location as the oblong hole. Am I to assume the knockout is to accommodate the wiring harness for a right hand drive car? What say you RHD guys. I'm trying to remain period correct.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 34 RHD firewall

Nope, it is for all four-cylinder versions, RHD and LHD. Through it pass the choke cable, vacuum line for the windshield wiper motor, and the air line for the fuel gauge from the sending unit on the gas tank. If your car was originally a V8, that knockout plug remained in place.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
T Scott

Thank you David
Old 05-25-2018, 05:41 AM   #4
koates

The knockout hole was for the Columbia rear axle overdrive dash control valve vacuum fitting if fitted. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:08 AM   #5
DavidG

Sorry, while it could be used for that purpose, a Columbia rear axle was not a Ford-released option or accessory for either the '33 or '34 model years. Note that T Scott is seeking a 'period-correct' response.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
koates

David, I did say if fitted which in most cases a columbia was not fitted. That hole also was used on a 4 cylinder car for the distributer to coil high and low tension wiring condute. I doubt many 4 cylinder cars were ever fitted with a Columbia overdrive. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
Graeme / New Zealand

I would imagine the wiring goes through the same hole on RHD as on US
LHD models. My 48 still goes through the oval hole on the left US drivers side, the difference being in the wiring loom which has extra length to take it over to the right side of the dash. I imagine it would be the same for a 34. Cut out for steering column and locating holes for handbrake and the go pedal of course is different though. I used all the US wiring looms for my car except the main loom which I had made up by Vintage Wiring Harness in Australia. I imagine Tyrie Harris in your country who Barners rave about could probably make one up for you to accomadate the extra length. I know this is not what your original question is about but if new wiring is to lead on this it might help

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
T Scott

Not part of the original question but certainly a help. As I mentioned above this firewall came out of a LHD car so some things had to be changed such as the gas pedal mechanism for instance. Fortunately the indents for the RHD mount are pre stamped so the location is already fixed. Lawrie sent me some pictures of his 33 with the gas linkage both outside the firewall and under the dash. That was a great help. I lost the pictures when my laptop crashed but at the time I didn't think to look at his wire routing or the knockout. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
mercman from oz

Here is a picture of an Australian Right Hand Drive 1934 Ford Phaeton. The extra 4 Holes in the slanty part of the cowl are for an Accessory Tool Box.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
T Scott

Perfect! Thanks Mercman.