Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
A 2 B

Default Frame Number Stamping

After lifting the body from the frame on a 1930 Model A coupe, I compared the number stamped on the frame with the engine number stamping. It would have been a match except the frame number started with AX then the number and the engine stamping starts with A then the number.
Can anyone explain what the significance of the X could be? The title number is the same as the engine.
Just curious, never having seen or read anything relating to this 'X'.
A 2 B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Frame Number Stamping

I doubt that a person would find out much about an X in there. If a person knew the history of the vehicle then it might lead to some experimental situation at manufacture. The A, AF, and AA were common prefixes in the model A era as well as the five pointed stars at the beginning and end. The F was added to designate right hand drive vehicles. In Canada, the prefixes all began with C followed by A and a third letter for batch control and they had a different numbering system but I haven't seen an X as part of that system either. I can't speak for European agencies and manufacturing facilities since they may have had differences.

If the linear number matches the engine then that's all that really matters. Prefixes on frames could have had any number of mistakes made by the stampers at any of the final assembly plants where new engines were installed into new frames.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-09-2020 at 05:47 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
A 2 B

Default Re: Frame Number Stamping

Thanks rotorwrench. I know the history of the car from 1959 but nothing earlier than that. I bought it from the Flint Michigan area. Here are a few pics of the numbers. The sub-frame cross member stamped number also has an 'X' with a different number. This was just a question in the back of my mind for a while now, with no importance other than curiosity.

I suppose because of not having enough posts I was unable to include the pics of all 3 numbers.
I read a lot and learn a lot on this site but never posted until today.
A 2 B is offline   Reply With Quote