Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Bill Cal.

Default a sensitive question

A model A friend of many years passed away suddenly about a year ago. I believe I had lent him some Restorer Mags, complete set 1962 to 1965. 3 years. These were the years we were in High School together and we both had model A's. Word is his wife is not letting go of any of his things at this time. My question is- How long should I wait to approach her about these Restorers or should I just try to find another source to get them and if so where. These are the only gap in my Restorer collection. Thanks for your thoughts, Bill
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: a sensitive question

A lot of people give these away to get rid of them. A lot are thrown out, and some people collect them. Start by just asking what you want.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
redmodelt

I would say a year is long enough, ask her nicely for them back so you can remember your high school years with your friend.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cal. View Post
A model A friend of many years passed away suddenly about a year ago. I believe I had lent him some Restorer Mags, complete set 1962 to 1965. 3 years. These were the years we were in High School together and we both had model A's.............
If you knew his wife fairly well, I'd approach her and say what you said. I'd probably tell her that you're not sure that you loaded them to him, like you mentioned, but they are missing from your collection. If she is going to get rid of them, you would like first chance at them.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cal. View Post
A model A friend of many years passed away suddenly about a year ago. I believe I had lent him some Restorer Mags, complete set 1962 to 1965. 3 years. These were the years we were in High School together and we both had model A's. Word is his wife is not letting go of any of his things at this time. My question is- How long should I wait to approach her about these Restorers or should I just try to find another source to get them and if so where. These are the only gap in my Restorer collection. Thanks for your thoughts, Bill
I see nothing wrong with approaching her and explaining why you lent him the magazines. She would be happy to hear you thought so much of him and she probably would be pleased to return them to you.

Diplomacy is not dead..
Old 09-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
Big hammer

Your loss of a friend, her lose of a husband, be a good friend and just visit with her. In your reminiscing with her about him, bring up the magazine's. I'm sure two good friends can work out something!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
KansasRick

I had a situation kind of similar happen. I worked a deal with a body man to fix a door on my roadster. The day I gave it to him he was killed in a bad automobile crash. My door was in the trunk of the car with materials and special matched paint he was driving when the accident happened. We worked together at the same company. I struggled with when I should ask about the door. My door was petty compared to a lost life of a person. Should I wait a certain time or wait to see what might happen? I decided to go to the funeral visitation the evening before the funeral and see how it might go. I was fortunate that when I was introduced to the wife, the person who introduced me mentioned that her husband was doing work on a Model A door for me. The poor lady hugged me and told me she was trying to find the owner of the door and the paint so she could return the door. She had me call a week after the funeral and meet up with her. She wanted to hear about my car and glad someone mentioned I was the door owner. It turned out she wanted to talk to me because I was the last person to talk to her husband before the crash. My point I want to bring up after this long story is she might enjoy some stories about her husband's friendship with you. So just be open to whatever and don't wait. It has been sufficiently long enough to ask for the magazines. Good luck.

Last edited by KansasRick; 09-17-2017 at 09:50 PM.
KansasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:57 AM   #8
ronn

Nicely said Kansas!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

I usually read & pass on my RESTORER Magazine to someone else. Most of the time, it goes to a NON-CAR Person & I'm surprised at how it stirs their INTEREST!
Bill W.