Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
cpf240

Default Intro & Questions - '29 Special Coupe

Hi. I’m the new guy around here. I’ve been reading a lot of different topics in the Model A forum, and there is a lot of great information here.

My father bought this Model A from a farm in or near Iola Kansas some 30+ years ago. His father tore it down, and started to restore it. He used to work in one of the Ford factories, so was very familiar with these cars. Sadly, it got to about the point you see it in the pictures below, and then sat for 20+ years.

Now it is in my hands, and I’d like to get it running and driving again. The goal is a good, functional car, to be used for fun drives and maybe the occasional parade or local car show. This is not intended to be a garage queen, nor a points car.

It will run, and drive, once the junk is cleaned out of the carburetor. The fuel tank has some rust, and does plug the carburetor. At the moment, there is no sediment bulb, and I think one of those pencil filters on the fuel shutoff valve and a sediment bulb will take care of most of that issue. I’ll probably do one of those fill-shake-drain-filter-repeat processes I’ve read about, and watched the video of.

My uncle was doing some work on it, and had it running with an external tank. I’m told he put in a 12v coil and starter – no, the lights are not hooked up yet. When I got it, it was also connected for negative ground. My plan is to put it back to 6v positive ground. My father had wanted a rumble seat, so the trunk lid has been converted to open the other way. I’ll probably return it to a trunk, as I don’t know anyone that wants to ride back there, and I'm leaning more to keeping it reasonably original.

It is believed to be a ‘29 Special Coup (49a) but I can’t find a body number stamp on the cross member in front of the seat base. There does not appear to be a date stamp on the fuel tank. I don’t know if the frame number was verified to match the block, but I’m told the block number matches the previous owners title paperwork. The block number is *A1620XXX* .

Some questions for you all:

I’d like to confirm that it is a Special Coup – is it?

What carburetor is this? I can’t see any identifiers cast into it, but I haven’t removed it yet either.

I have the springs for the seat bottom, but they look pretty rusty and a bit, um… worn. I presume after market is the best bet? Any temporary seat suggestions to use until its time for an interior? The VW seat doesn’t cut it, and its not in much better shape than the factory seat springs I have.

Any comments or suggestions welcome, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 021417 Model A_sm.JPG (383.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 021517 Model A Left Rear View_sm.JPG (318.8 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 021517 Model A Seat Base_sm.JPG (362.8 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 021517 Model A Carb_sm.JPG (395.8 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by cpf240; 04-13-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Fix title spelling
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
160B

Default Re: Intro & Questions - '29 Special Coup

The carburetor is a Marvel Schebler.

here is one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Scheb...item2a7b01fea2

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
CarlG

Snyder's has the seat springs, or LeBarron-Bonney has the complete upholstered seat cushions (using Snyder's springs).
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Herb Concord Ca

Yes it looks like a Special coupe, I hope you have the outside trim molding that goes around the sides and back to secure the vinyl. They will be hard to find if you don't.
Renner's Corner has all the parts for the Marvel carb, this is a very good after market carb.
Measure the coil primary resistance 6V is 1.5 ohms, 12V is 3 ohms. To check the starter, remove the band and look to see how many field coil arms are soldered to the big copper button, 2 for 6V and 1 for 12V.
Enjoy your project.
Herb Concord Ca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

[QUOTE=cpf240;1429949]Hi. I’m the new guy around here. I’ve been reading a lot of different topics in the Model A forum, and there is a lot of great information here.

My father bought this Model A from a farm in or near Iola Kansas some 30+ years ago. His father tore it down, and started to restore it. He used to work in one of the Ford factories, so was very familiar with these cars. Sadly, it got to about the point you see it in the pictures below, and then sat for 20+ years.

Now it is in my hands, and I’d like to get it running and driving again. The goal is a good, functional car, to be used for fun drives and maybe the occasional parade or local car show. This is not intended to be a garage queen, nor a points car.

It will run, and drive, once the junk is cleaned out of the carburetor. The fuel tank has some rust, and does plug the carburetor. At the moment, there is no sediment bulb, and I think one of those pencil filters on the fuel shutoff valve and a sediment bulb will take care of most of that issue. I’ll probably do one of those fill-shake-drain-filter-repeat processes I’ve read about, and watched the video of.

My uncle was doing some work on it, and had it running with an external tank. I’m told he put in a 12v coil and starter – no, the lights are not hooked up yet. When I got it, it was also connected for negative ground. My plan is to put it back to 6v positive ground. My father had wanted a rumble seat, so the trunk lid has been converted to open the other way. I’ll probably return it to a trunk, as I don’t know anyone that wants to ride back there, and I'm leaning more to keeping it reasonably original.

It is believed to be a ‘29 Special Coup (49a) but I can’t find a body number stamp on the cross member in front of the seat base. There does not appear to be a date stamp on the fuel tank. I don’t know if the frame number was verified to match the block, but I’m told the block number matches the previous owners title paperwork. The block number is *A1620XXX* .

Some questions for you all:

I’d like to confirm that it is a Special Coup – is it?

What carburetor is this? I can’t see any identifiers cast into it, but I haven’t removed it yet either.

I have the springs for the seat bottom, but they look pretty rusty and a bit, um… worn. I presume after market is the best bet? Any temporary seat suggestions to use until its time for an interior? The VW seat doesn’t cut it, and its not in much better shape than the factory seat springs I have.

Any comments or suggestions welcome, thanks![/QUOTE}

Welcome to the barn. Yes, it is a Special Coupe it is either a 1928 or 1929. If the back lower outside left side of the body rear cross sill has three holes, then it is a 1928...if not it is a 1929. The three holes are for the attachment for the rear light bracket. About February/March 1929 the holes were removed and the bracket was attached to the left fender.

Sometimes the body codes were not there nor were gas tank dates although it is kind of nice if they were.

Not sure of the carburator.

I think going back to a trunk is a great idea...In 1979, I converted my September 1929 Standard Coupe to a rumble seat thinking I could take all my friends for rides...Well, two years ago I put it back to a trunk as that was the way it was originally as with your Special Coupe.

On my website I have a 3 part article on converting a rumble seat to a trunk...check it out.

Study up on your car and ask more questions. Join one or two National Modle A Clubs and IF there is a local club in your area, wherever you are, join that to.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 02-15-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
jm29henry

Welcome ,I wish you great success with your project
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
Dave in MD

Welcome to the barn and being a Special Coupe owner. As others have said it is a Special Coupe that Ford made from July 10th 1928 to July of 1929. It replaced the Standard Coupe during that time period. The telltale sign is the recessed area behind the quarter window that takes a molding to separate the the sheet metal form the top material. This molding is a two piece steel molding. The Specials also have a two piece steel belt rail molding that goes from the rear of the door on one side across the back to the rear of the door on the other side. The belt rail moldings were used on the 1928.9 Special. Sport and Business Coupes. Engine number A1620XXX would have been stamped on May 23rd or 24th 1929 at the Rouge plant
I have a 1928 Special Coupe and if you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Regards,
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
cpf240

Thank you all for the prompt responses and greetings!

First of all Pluck, the taillight is attached to the fender, and with the engine stamping info from Dave, I think it is solidly in the '29 production timeline.

Dave, my uncle has several boxes of parts, and manuals, documents, etc, that my dad collected. He will be shipping that to me soon. I expect the trim pieces you and Herb mentioned will be in with them.

Thank you 160B and Herb for the info on the carb. As there is lots of dust around here, I think I'll be adding one of the aftermarket air filters.

Carl, I've read lots of threads/posts going back and forth on the Snyder vs everyone else springs. I do think that is what I will end up doing, but I'm reluctant to put money into the seat when it is not ready for an interior. I'd hate to have a new seat get all torn up while all the other work is going on!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
KansasRick

Another good idea is to see if there are any model A car clubs in your area. This is a fantastic resource for a new guy. You say the car came from the Iola, Ks area. Are you still near there? I know you said that was 30 years ago your grandpa got the car. There are many Model A guys in that area of Emporia, Topeka, Iola, Fort Scott, KC and Wichita. The SunFlower Swap Meet was just over the first weekend of February. Several good clubs and swap meet events in this area. Good luck.
KansasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #10
cpf240

Rick -

No, I'm in the Far North of Idaho. My father bought the car from a guy on a farm in KS, and had it shipped to CA. There, my grandfather tore it down and got it pretty much to where it is now.

There is a local car club, and I know a guy down the road a bit that can probably guide me to the right people. I looked for chapters of one of the bigger clubs, but there are none near here.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #11
cpf240

Pluck -

Lots of great information on your site. I found the articles on the trunk/rumble seat and will look into them further. I had read somewhere that there is a floor pan or something that needs to be changed, and I'll have to read up on that. I don't know if it had been changed on this one.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
29spcoupe

I have a 29 Special Coupe and have many pictures that were taken during the restoration. If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #13

I found that many love riding in my rumble seat of my Special Coupe.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #14
cpf240

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29spcoupe View Post
I have a 29 Special Coupe and have many pictures that were taken during the restoration. If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them. John
I would love to see those! Right now though, I'm waiting for the boxes of parts, manuals, etc. that my uncle is shipping up here. Once I have that, I'll have a better idea of what I don't know...
Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #15
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Are you near Sandpoint, Idaho?

I know a great Model A guy there.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #16
cpf240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Are you near Sandpoint, Idaho?

I know a great Model A guy there.

Pluck
I'm about an hour North of Sandpoint. Go through there on our resupply runs to CostCo!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:18 AM   #17
KenCoupe

It seems just about everybody that has a coupe has the rumble seat. I have the original trunk on my 31 Deluxe Coupe. When I bought the car, I thought I would convert to a rumble seat, but I really like the functionality of the trunk, and it probably isn't too safe to have people ride in a rumble seat. I rode in a rumble seat once and it was not very comfortable. My advice/opinion is to change back to a trunk. I think you will like it.

I believe the floor pan is the same for the trunk and rumble seat. but the rear curved panel has to be changed. In addition to Steve's excellent instructions, Mike's AFordable has an article on how to convert from trunk to rumble seat. It can probably be used in reverse to change from rumble to trunk. It also lists parts needed for the conversion.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 AM   #18
1930artdeco

Welcome to the club and enjoy your new found friend. It is great that you are keeping the car in the family! Here is a suggestion for a temp seat, mattress springs. Tear one apart and cut it down. Then cover it up. Down reasonably well it will hold you until you decide to do a full interior.

Mike
Old 02-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #19
Special Coupe Frank

Welcome, CPF20 !

I too have a Special Coupe.

Another great resource on this forum is "Farrell in Vancouver", he has done a ground-up resto on his Special Coupe.

Looks like a good start on yours.

Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 AM   #20
cpf240

A small update:

The car had both a 12v and a 6v battery sitting in it. The 12v was hooked up as negative ground. My uncle put in the 12v battery and coil - I verified 3 ohm - because he felt it was struggling to crank on 6v. I pulled both batteries to charge.

I wanted to put it back to positive ground, but had to read up on the conversion as I expected to need a starter. Well, no worries there. I do know I'll need to verify the coil is connected properly.

However, in doing this research I found out that the generator needs to be flashed. No problem. But... I also read that the generator should not be run while it is disconnected. Can you guess the next part? This generator has not been connected in 30 years or so!

Now I have to say that the wiring was never finished. Even the ignition switch is bypassed. Just enough wiring to start it. Now to read up on testing generators.

My uncle had said junk in the fuel tank plugged the carb. I pulled it off today, and didn't see anything right away. Then I pulled the top off of it. Hmm, lots of white powder in the bowl, but no sign of red rust flakes or particals. I think it is time to rebuild this carb.

I found the thread detailing this carb, and really appreciate the time that went into that post. I know where to get the rebuild kit, or where to send it in to be rebuilt. What I'm not sure of is how to adjust it when I'm done.

What I'd like to know is, is it a good method to soak it in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar for a few hours? Also, the screw under the bolt on the bottom of the carb for the main jet is stuck. I'm hoping a good soaking will get it loose.

It is also missing the correct inlet fitting with the attached filter screen. I have been unable to find a replacement for it. There are some parts carbs for sale that may have it, but that's a gamble.

That's all for now. All comments, suggestions, etc appreciated!