Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Binger

Default 28-29 gas tank cowl welt

Hello Ford Barners, I have a question about the gas tank and cowl welt for my 1929 Special coupe. Is the cowl welt and the welt around the top of the gas tank one piece? I haven't bolted the cowl panels to the A pillar yet and got to looking and wonder if there is a piece on each panel and another one for the tank below the windshield or is it one piece all the way around. I know between the tank and the top of the firewall and on the top of the cowl panels get friction tape. Thanks in advance.

John
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
100IH

Default Re: 28-29 gas tank cowl welt

Top welting is wider and has a wire in it to hold it down. There are 2 side segments, one on each side.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
wrndln

I think 100IH is referring to the hood welting, not the cowl/gas tank welting, if I read the original question correctly. The welting that goes from the bottom of the cowl up the cowl between the cowl and A pillar, over the top of the gas tank and then down the other side of the cowl and A pillar to the bottom of the cowl is ONE piece. It is suppose to have a 3/16" bead on it, unlike the fender welting that has a 1/4" bead.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Binger

Thanks for the responses. Yes I was asking about the cowl/gas tank welting. Not the Hood welting. I suspected it was one piece. Does anybody have any tips and or tricks for this install? I have already painted the car and do understand that originally they were painted. I decided to not paint the welt on my car. I don't like the way they look when painted. I have the hood welt and will install it after I get the tank put in.
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote