Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Binger

Default 29 special coupe question

I am working on putting a new wood kit into my special coupe and was wondering how some people are restoring the trim piece along the beltline on the bottom of the top from door to door? the one I have is bent and pretty beat up. About half the original nails in the strip are gone and the remaining are bent and about rusted away to nothing. At some point somebody had drilled holes in it about every 6" and refastened it with a wood screws. I know that it is painted body color and is fastened on after the top has been installed. My question is how do you replace the nails in the strip and what is the best way to install it after it is painted? The drip rails and the trim around the quarter windows are in the same shape too. I am lucky to have the original pieces but am unsure how to restore them.

Thanks

John
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Binger

Default Re: 29 special coupe question

Here is a picture of about where I am now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hotrod.jpg (38.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 04-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Barry B./ Ma.

Several people have used what I suggested and I used on my 29 special coupe as mine was missing. I bought a brass trim strip (I think "D") moulding, 7 ft. long from Universal Tire. I formed it in place then trimmed off the extra 3 or 4 inches from each end. I drilled the strip for a #8 brass
Flat hd. screws spaced around 6 inches apart. Looks the like original moulding.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
700rpm

If you can save the original belt trim pieces, do it. They are very hard to find.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
wrndln

I have a 28 special coupe that is nearly done with it's restoration. The beltrail trim is a two piece assembly as is all the other trim on and around the top. Maybe you knew this. The inner piece is installed with nails first and then the outer piece that shows is snapped over the inner piece. My outer trim was nailed on in a few places. I had a TIG welder weld up the holes. I only MIG weld and a MIG welder is too harsh in my opinion for such thin material. The outer trim piece is painted the secondary color if you are trying to paint your car like the factory did. The outer beltrail trim has ends on it that fit in the crack where the door latch striker is. Usually the ends are broken off due to years of use. I have some pictures of the beltrail trim if you want to see them. Send me a PM with your email address if you need to see the pictures. I am kind of in the same position as you. All my roof trim is in fairly good condition, but still needs some TLC before installing it. I wish I could find a person that has installed the trim before and it turned out well to install my trim. I think this is one of the hardest jobs to accomplish on a special coupe.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
Binger

Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize that it was 2 piece. I am going to have to take a little closer look at it and see if I can separate it and install new nails. It is unfortunate that this is one of the only pieces that is not reproduced. I am lucky that all the parts are there even if they are not in very good shape. Sounds like a tricky job snapping on the trim after its painted.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Farrell In Vancouver

I had no trim at all for my Special coupe and followed Barry's lead on the "D" moulding. Instead of Brass I chose aluminum (bad choice) but the aluminum grows considerably in the heat and loosens the screws. I had filled and painted the strip the belt rail color, and now it has mostly a failed application. I plan on using the brass strip on the next repaint. The original pieces are as rare has hen's teeth, so if you can save them, make the attempt. The biggest challenge you face is getting the parts separated to restore them. Good Luck!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote