Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Mom's Last Model A Ride

tom as i said my condolences and my heart goes out to you and your family. my dad passed when i was 10 years old he had a model A that we would drive around in as a family on weekends. well my mom gave it to my brother after his passing who was 12 year old at the time. to this day the car is in my brothers garage in shambles and he is doing nothing with it and wont give it up to me to restore. i went out and bought my own tudor and restored it in my dads name and i know he is riding with me in it everytime. my dads name was paul so i named my car paula. i am still hoping one day i can get my hands on the car

mitch
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
FL&WVMIKE

Tom Wesenburg .....................
Sorry for your loss. That is a great photo and will be very meaningful, to you, for the rest of your life.
We all get "smart, too late".
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
Brentwood Bob

Tom, I believe you are doing what you are supposed to be doing with the skill set/ interests you have. Please keep it up. We are all here just a short time. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #24
Larry Brumfield

Tom, don't beat yourself up too much over the "wish I could have got the A going sooner thing." We all have priorities in life that are much more important. Your parents knew this.

I have a friend who agrees:

He spent so much of his free time restoring his Model A that his wife DIVORCED him over it!

Larry B.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #25
MAG

My condolences also, Tom. I regret that my Model A Coupe was not restored before my Mom's passing. I know she would have enjoyed it.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #26
Frank Nemo

Tom, please accept my condolences on the loss of your Mother. It was a thoughtful son who took her to her final resting place in your Model A.

It will soon be a year that I lost my dear wife Joni who had accompanied me on many Model A trips and ventures. At her funeral eight or nine Model A's from our club led the hearse out to the cemetary. It was a beautiful tribute to her from her Model A friends and I will never forget them for their kindness.

My prayers are with your Mother and you.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #27
29RPU

Hi Tom.

Another Tom here, and I lost my mother this last April. Sorry for your loss. I'm sure you did the best you could. We always think there will be more time. The passing of my mother made me want to spend more time with my family and appreciate them. I don't know about your parents, but I think often times mine showed genuine interest in my hobbies, but weren't invested nearly as much in them as I was. By that I mean, they are interested in what we do but I don't know how much either of your parents missed not getting a ride.

I know we picked up a 29 RPU recently to take my father's mind off of my mother being sick. It sounded good, and as he always does, he showed interest. It has been 4 months now and he still hasn't gone for a ride.

Anyway, my simple little advice is don't look back with regret. Look forward with appreciation for your currently loved ones and appreciation that you had good parents! Sounds like they had a good son, which was a far greater joy than a ride in your model A(s).

Best wishes,
Tom
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #28
Richard in NC

I have always taken the oldtimers for a ride in my 31 if the even mentioned it. I have also heard some of their remarks later and it is easy to see they appreciated the ride.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #29
Old182

Tom, my thoughts and prayers are with you. The photo really is touching and drives home a good point. My Mom never got to ride in "The Little Car" as she called (it was her who thought it was cute, so my Dad bought it when I was 14 - 50 years ago). I did get to take my Dad in a Memorial Day parade a few years ago when he was 89 - a thrill for both of us as he always wanted to be in a parade. Now my grandchildren ride in the rumble seat and toss candy to the crowds as we sound the aoogah horn. Trying not to have a lot regrets - thanks for reminding us of how little time we really have.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #30
George Miller

Tom sorry about your loss.
I to have some regrets about my Mom. I think we some times think they will be around for ever. Some of you younger guys need to make sure you tell your Mom and Dad every thing you want them to know before it is to late.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #31
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
Tom sorry about your loss.
I to have some regrets about my Mom. I think we some times think they will be around for ever. Some of you younger guys need to make sure you tell your Mom and Dad every thing you want them to know before it is to late.
That's for sure. Just today I bought an antique Singer sewing machine because I want to make my own side curtains for my 28 Phaeton. Mom knew all there was to know about sewing and I always thought someday I'd have her teach me how to sew. I waited too long and that day never came.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #32
Ron in Quincy

Tom,

My condolences on the loss of your mother; remember, your mother and dad are together again with no ackes, pains or worries.

My dad and mother loved to take a ride in my A; which they did many times over the past 48 years. Lost dad 10 years ago but gave my mother a ride in my Roadster a couple of weeks ago; she just turned 102 the 16th. I'm very lucky at 82 to still have mom around and in reasonable good health.

You are in my prayers,
Ron Rude in Quincy, Ca.
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
Tom,

My condolences on the loss of your mother; remember, your mother and dad are together again with no ackes, pains or worries.

My dad and mother loved to take a ride in my A; which they did many times over the past 48 years. Lost dad 10 years ago but gave my mother a ride in my Roadster a couple of weeks ago; she just turned 102 the 16th. I'm very lucky at 82 to still have mom around and in reasonable good health.

You are in my prayers,
Ron Rude in Quincy, Ca.
102 years old.....WOW, you are lucky to have your mom live so long, as long as she's healthy. My mom was always healthy and active right up to the last 2 months when the doctor told her she had cancer. Even then she did very well until the last 3 days. Life never seems to be long enough, and you have to make every moment count.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #34
Skipper Mc/Louisiana

Tom,
I am sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family. I appreciate hearing your story and the picture of the last ride.

I think often of how my interest in Model A's was first sparked by my mother telling me how she enjoyed her De Luxe Phaeton in college in the 1940's. Despite her advanced age, the "A" I now own, a duplicate of hers, still brings a smile to her face.

Take care.

Warm regards,
Skipper
Skipper Mc/Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #35
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Also so sorry to hear of your loss Tom. We'll all have to face this some day.

I see your dad was a vet, what outfit was he with??
Jeff,
Just curious, how did you see my dad was a vet? He stayed in the states and worked on the atomic bomb project. Dad never talked too much about the war.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #36
kp

So Sorry to hear of your loss .
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #37
28 coupe

Tom,
Always sad to lose a loved one, my condolences. An old friend of 59 years+ who gave me my first Model A in '58 died 2 years ago. We took his AA express body truck, modifed the casket rack (with the funeral homes full help and agreement) to fit the truck bed, lined it with flowers, loaded up the casket and used it as the hearse. I had the honor of driving the truck. Followed it with 8 model A's filled with family and friends, it was a great send off.
The AA had an out of round wheel and it bounced all the way to the grave site.....we all knew Roy would have wanted it that way.
Frank
28 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #38
Franchise_24

You have my condolences. Very sorry for your loss.

Neal
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote