Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
hope

Default Re: Info on 1950 Ford dual exhaust conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO41 View Post
RCM, I could hook up to stock manifold if I wanted to use the pipe that loops up from the front of the manifold which was the method used in the 50s. Waldron still sells this type of kit. I would prefer to use a manifold or headers that exit in the rear.
Flatkid8, if there's preformed pipes avaiable that are proven to be a good fit I'd just as soon go with them. That way I would have a source for replacement parts if needed. Waldron also makes a kit that hooks up to the Fenton cast iron headers. Reds Headers also makes a complete kit if I want to go with steel headers. I'm also going to look into the pipe supplied by Klepich (?), mentioned above. I'm not against having a shop bend up the pipes but if I can install them while putting the car together it would be more convenient, besides there's not any shops that do this work close by.
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.
Howard

I'm also having a problem with the Left connecting pipe, between the tubing heather and the muffler.

It will not go in the opening in the "Y" part of the frame, because the clutch arm will hit. It does not seem right for it to go above or below the frame?????

I searched Klepich's web site, but cannot find the pipe listed.

If my picture posting will go thru i'll post what I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (49.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (64.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (60.3 KB, 66 views)
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
HCO41

hope, are the pictures of a 1950 installation attempt? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it doesn't look familiar (from the living room chair).
Waldron got back to me and said they could supply a LH pipe, with their kit, to hook up to the Drake cast iron manifold. Still looking at Kepich. Red's is looking good at this point; complete kit inc. hangers, mufflers and good reputation.
Happy Holidays, Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 12-13-2013 at 08:53 PM.
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
hope

Angry Re: Info on 1950 Ford dual exhaust conversion

Quote:
Hope, are the pictures of a 1950 installation attempt? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it doesn't look familiar (from the living room chair). Waldron got back to me and said they could supply a LH pipe, with their kit, to hook up to the Drake cast iron manifold. Still looking at Klepich (?). Red's is looking good at this point; complete kit inc. hangers, mufflers and good reputation.
Happy Holidays, Howard
HCO41 Darn it, I always forget(old age)to tell the year of my car. Its a 1940 Tudor.

I'm not looking for a kit, but for a possible left pipe to connect the tube heather to the muffler on a 1940.

Principally HOW to position it around or thru the frame area, I'm trying to make my own but its not working to good.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
HCO41

hope, no problem. With all the experience on this forum we can share our experiences and maybe save others time and money. I wish I had more to share. When I drove these cars for every day transportation I did minimum maintenance and they held up pretty good. If I couldn't find, or afford, the right pipe I'd cobb something up from flex pipe. Of course a month or so later I needed a new piece. All I remember was we had a lot of fun. Hope you find a pipe that works on that '40.
Happy holidays,
Howard
Old 12-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #25
Flatkid8

Howard

Beware of "guaranteed fit" manifolds and headers. Most companies say there product is a direct fit but more times than not this isn't exactly true. On a 49-51 the issue is almost always the left side clearing the steering box. I have a friend that has sent back 2 sets of tube headers for this very reason as we spent an entire afternoon trying to shoehorn them into his stock Flathead powered 50 sedan. The car was on a lift and we were also putting the engine in at the same time so we had the liberty of being able to raise and lower the engine for clearance while at the same time standing under the car trying to finesse every angle possible. After several hours it was obvious it was physically impossible to make the "guaranteed fit" headers fit without heavy modification due to hitting on the stock steering box. I have also heard bad things about modern Fenton manifolds and Reds seems to have a better reputation but are tube headers. I can however guarantee the Drakes LH manifold will fit like a glove and look factory to the untrained eye. For what its worth, I think you would be much better off buying a header or manifold that is known to fit and bend exhaust pipe to match as opposed to buying an exhaust pipe that mates to a header that doesn't fit as advertised. Looping the exhaust pipe over and back the left manifold is an option but will stick out like a sore thumb and looks tacky in my opinion. Good luck in whichever route you choose and im sure you will be happy with the duals regardless

Dennis
Flatkid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #26
hope

Quote:
hope, no problem. With all the experience on this forum we can share our experiences and maybe save others time and money. I wish I had more to share. When I drove these cars for every day transportation I did minimum maintenance and they held up pretty good. If I couldn't find, or afford, the right pipe I'd cobb something up from flex pipe. Of course a month or so later I needed a new piece. All I remember was we had a lot of fun. Hope you find a pipe that works on that '40.
Happy holidays,
Howard
Thanks.

I was hoping someone knew a way to connect an exhaust pipe from the tubing heather to the muffler, on a 1940 tudor.

Seems everything I attempt to do lately is extremely "difficult"
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Cecil/WV

I should have mentioned that I emailed Kepich and asked for the pipe and he answered the email. I never saw a listing. it is something new for him.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I should have mentioned that I emailed Kepich and asked for the pipe and he answered the email. I never saw a listing. it is something new for him.
So no information on that exhaust connecting pipe.

(someone must have had the same situation)??
Old 12-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
So no information on that exhaust connecting pipe.

(someone must have had the same situation)??
Yes, he answered me with a price and I ordered it and have it on hand, now.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
flatford8

HCO41....Is Red's making sets to fit the Shoe box cars now? I tried last spring ('13) to get them and he said he was training new welders and didn't have any made up. Same story mid-summer and a again in the fall......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
HCO41

Flathead8, That's what I get for ASSuming. I just went to Red's web site and couldn't find a listing for the shoe box cars. I sent them an email request for information about same. I'll copy reply when received.
Howard
Old 12-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
JeffB2

Call these guys:http://classicexhaustinc.com/contact.htm They show a complete dual system available call the number listed and ask for Scott Thompson also individual items are available too.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #33
flatford8

H CB 41 a guy named Jim's from Reds sent me some nice pictures how of how the Heathers would fit my 51 but the head is just weren't available I'm going to try the website Jeff B2 just posted
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #34
HCO41

Dennis, I just ordered the L.H. manifold from Drake, on sale, free shipping.
Before I ordered the manifold, I checked with John Kepich to see if he could supply a kit that included a left exhaust pipe that would bolt to Drake's manifold. He can supply the correct pipe. You must specify that you're using the Drake manifold when ordering.
It may be awhile, but once I install this setup I'll continue this thread with the results.
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. By the way, I haven't heard from Red's re. availability of steel headers for the 'shoe box' cars.
Howard
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #35
hope

Quote:
Happy holidays,
Howard
Update on my problem. (connecting pipe)
Got a Curt negative reply from John Kepiche.

I give up, i'll make my own.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #36
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyonorm View Post
If you want to retain the original ex. manifolds then the only solution I can think of is the way we all did it "back in the day" which was a U tube that went up from the front of the manifold and then back and then down around the shifting and clutch mechanism. Sounds complicated but it worked great for years.

As for muffler length, I like loud and so for me the shorter the muffler the better.

Your best source might be your local muffler/exaust pipe shop where they may construct your pipes to your specs for less money then the mail order pipes. Keep your tubing to 1.75 in. or less for best sound.
I have attached a couple of pictures of the U tube exhaust that was on my car when I first bought it. If you are interested, let me know and I can take additional pictures of it after it was take off the car....I still have it in a bin. I went the correct exhaust manifold route for my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (88.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (84.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5127.jpg (77.9 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
Pat's 52

I'm Pat Rooney and I make the left side manifold (like the Douglas Foundry manifold made for 49-50-51 police cars). Also, I make the right side without the front opening. This gives you the look of a factory dual exhaust system. Send me an email and I can send you pictures.
Pat's 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #38
butchbov

I'm running Red's cheap tube headers with 26" Brockman's steel packs & they sound great! Don't they Dennis?

They've been on the car since 2005 & have about 45K miles on them with no signs of rusting out.

I love my Brockman's & they're made in Indiana.

In a world filled with stress it is better to give than to receive.
butchbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
I have attached a couple of pictures of the U tube exhaust that was on my car when I first bought it. If you are interested, let me know and I can take additional pictures of it after it was take off the car....I still have it in a bin. I went the correct exhaust manifold route for my car.
MercCruzer----Pat's 52

Thanks for your input, but if you read my previous posts you would see that I'm looking for routing the connecting pipe from the tubing exhaust (Drake) to the muffler on a 40 ford tudor.

I think you both are referring to a car in the 50"s, and don't believe the routing thru or around the frame is the same.

I invaded someone else's Posting with my similar problem, and for that I'm apologizing.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #40
HCO41

I have received the Drake LH manifold and am waiting for the pipes from Kepich. I still plan to post details of installation but, I have a question regarding outlet size of manifold from Drake. I thought it looked a little small, so I measured the outlet diameter. It measures 1-3/8". The front outlet on the stock, front outlet, LH manifold measures 1-5/8". Should I have a concern with restriction? Does anyone have a Rooney manifold they can measure for comparison? Comments please.
Thanks,
Howard