Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
jack99

Default Info on 1950 Ford dual exhaust conversion

Any tips on converting my 1950 ford to dual exhaust while retaining the origional stock manifolds? I want to use smithey's mufflers . Need advice as the length of mufflers and source of the various pipes. Any other info would be of help.
jack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
wyonorm

Default Re: Info on 1950 Ford dual exhaust conversion

If you want to retain the original ex. manifolds then the only solution I can think of is the way we all did it "back in the day" which was a U tube that went up from the front of the manifold and then back and then down around the shifting and clutch mechanism. Sounds complicated but it worked great for years.

As for muffler length, I like loud and so for me the shorter the muffler the better.

Your best source might be your local muffler/exaust pipe shop where they may construct your pipes to your specs for less money then the mail order pipes. Keep your tubing to 1.75 in. or less for best sound.
wyonorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Jack 99,you not gonna be happy with the Smitties,they rot out quick and are made in China.Very poor quality. Buy Brockmans Google them. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Bassman/NZ

According to the folks at Smithies, they're made in the US, not china.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

You need a left manifold like this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001-1.jpg (34.2 KB, 153 views)
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

YOU COULD TRY RED'S HEADERS, here is a link with his info...

http://reds-headers.net/index.php?ma...roducts_id=171
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
You need a left manifold like this...
I have one of these and a pair of 22" Smithy's I would be willing to part with, also the right hand side exhaust manifold with a block off plate installed.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
raceron1120

You might check out Porter Muffers too, they're heavy, steel vs fiberglass packs, and are US made. I put a set on my Yblock and they sound great, and with a lot of bark when I get on it.

If you can't find one elsewhere, Clark up at West End Welding in Minnesota (home of Porter Mufflers) might be able to help you out with the correct crossover/tube to use with your original manifolds too. Maybe give him a call? He's very helpful. I think his phone # is on their website.

He had a set of NOS Belond headers for my 292 so I got them along with a pair of mufflers from him. I wanted to also get a set for my next project ('47 superdeluxe) but he didn't have any flattie headers left.

He put a video and sound of dual porters on a '48 flattie on his website, you might want to check it out.

Here's the link to Porters: http://www.portermufflers.com/

And here's the YouTube video of '48:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjNYSbdq4Ek
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
Barry B./ Ma.

I bought a set for my 51 sedan back in the 80s from ARASCO and it mated to the stock manifolds. The left pipe came out above the frame then swept down to the chassis. Everything fit well. The set came with glasspac mufflers and sounded good. It's still on the car with a new owner altho some tailpipe sections have been replaced.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Cecil/WV

My Smittys rusted out in 4 years and 5000 miles on my "50.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
c-gor

Suggest you contact Pat Rooney ([email protected]) he sells the left side cast iron manifold.
c-gor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
RCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyonorm View Post
If you want to retain the original ex. manifolds then the only solution I can think of is the way we all did it "back in the day" which was a U tube that went up from the front of the manifold and then back and then down around the shifting and clutch mechanism. Sounds complicated but it worked great for years.

As for muffler length, I like loud and so for me the shorter the muffler the better.

Your best source might be your local muffler/exaust pipe shop where they may construct your pipes to your specs for less money then the mail order pipes. Keep your tubing to 1.75 in. or less for best sound.
Brought this one back from its grave because I wanted to ask if this conversion (DIY dual) will affect any of the engine's components, like exhaust valves, in the long run.

Thanks
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
HCO41

I will also looking to duals on my '50 cc in the next month or so. When I first got the car, I noticed that Drake sells the left manifold. I wanted to find a source for the lead out pipes, mufflers (American made) and tailpipes. I called Waldron and they said they could supply all the pipes leading from the cast manifold, including my choice of one or two piece tailpipes.
Has anyone had experience with Waldron?
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Flatkid8

Been running the cast drivers side manifold JDL has pictured above with a block off plate on the passenger side manifold inlet and dual Smithys on a 51 2 door since 2006 with no problems. There is no sign of rot in the mufflers and they sound great, has a slight rumble and a good mellow tone with minimal cackle. In my honest opinion the cast drivers manifold kit is the only way to go if you want to run true duals and keep a stock looking appearance. At first glance it blends right in and looks factory, they fit perfect and you don't have to worry about them lealking unlike headers. Bob Drake sells the kit (drivers cast manifold and passenger side inlet block off) for I believe in the $100 range.

Hope my .02 helps

Dennis
Flatkid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
HCO41

Dennis, What did you use for the left exhaust pipe? I sent an inquiry to Drake today asking if they supplied the pipe. There answer, "have an exhaust shop bend up the pipes for the left side". To me that takes the DIY out of the project. I have another inquiry into Waldron about an exhaust pipe for the Drake manifold. I know they sell the old 'loop type' pipe with a complete kit and they also sell all the pipes to hook up to Fenton cast headers. We'll see. Red's has complete kits with steel headers, I may go with them. I like one stop shopping!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
RCM

HCO41, why can't the pipes (DIY or shop bent) be hooked up to the stock left side exhaust manifold?
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
Cecil/WV

Kepich Exhaust sells the original left pipe for duals. I have one in my possession, but haven't had time to install, yet. It is made off of Pat Rooney's specs. Pat has the manifolds for both sides so you don't use the block off plate.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
Flatkid8

HC041...that's correct, to my knowledge Drake dosent sell the pipe and you would need to take it to an exhaust shop once you get the manifold on. I guess I am kind of curious as to why you are set on a prebent kit and opposed to having a good reputable exhaust shop do the job?

Dennis
Flatkid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
HCO41

RCM, I could hook up to stock manifold if I wanted to use the pipe that loops up from the front of the manifold which was the method used in the 50s. Waldron still sells this type of kit. I would prefer to use a manifold or headers that exit in the rear.
Flatkid8, if there's preformed pipes avaiable that are proven to be a good fit I'd just as soon go with them. That way I would have a source for replacement parts if needed. Waldron also makes a kit that hooks up to the Fenton cast iron headers. Reds Headers also makes a complete kit if I want to go with steel headers. I'm also going to look into the pipe supplied by Klepich (?), mentioned above. I'm not against having a shop bend up the pipes but if I can install them while putting the car together it would be more convenient, besides there's not any shops that do this work close by.
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.
Howard
Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
Cecil/WV

Kepich left exhaust pipe was $74.00 delivered.