Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
pj the dj

Default radiator temperature

I just bought a new infra red thermometer and being anxious to try it out. I took the "a" for a 10 mile ride. The car being fully warmed up I got the following readings. The top is 127.5 degrees. The middle is 135 degrees and the bottom is 140 degrees. I must tell you the car runs great and there is a 160 degree thermostat ( from Snyders) and anti freeze in it. My question is: Do I have a problem? Many thanks and you"ve all helped me in the past. Phil
pj the dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
larrys40

Default Re: radiator temperature

Pj.
I would remove the thermostat you want the engine to get up to enough operating temperature consistently to reduce condensation. Model A's didn't originally have them and they are not needed. Your lower radiator temperature should actually be less than the upper. Since the temp on top is from what's coming out of the engine and flowing down and cooling as it passes from top to bottom in the radiator. Are you sure you didn't get your readings mixed up?

Take the thermostat out and run it of course ambient temperature will always affect how cool or warm the engine runs
Larry S
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
ddweave

Larry

I'm confused. How is removing the thermostat going to help the engine run warmer?

Doug
Old 12-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
ford3

it sounds to me that your thermostat is not working, its stuck open, a 160 degree thermo should have the water temp going into the top of radiator should be at least 160 degrees, get a new thermostat
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
CarlG

Could also be the thermometer. Boil a pan of water on the kitchen stove and measure it. Should be 212. You can also test your thermostat on the kitchen stove using a meat thermometer
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

You can do a quick check of the temp gun by aiming it at your forehead and taking a reading. If it's less then about 96* either you or the gun are dead.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Colonel

What are typical top, middle and bottom temperatures on the radiator when the car is fully warmed up?
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
nhusa

IR guns are not very accurate due to the size and emissivity of the target.
The best you can do is tell is that there are differences in temperature
3-5 degrees difference is probably real if the surfaces are the same but the accuracy can be significantly more

Just sayin!
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Genius" Dog here, it's a heck uf a lot cheeper jist to feel the radumator heet with yo' PAWS & you don't even need NO barreries! Iffin' you want to know how HOT yo' manifold is, jist SPIT on it! Buster T.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
QGolden

Practice make perfect with your gun, I have run mine, (a 29.99 HF Special) along side a 200.00 calibrated unit and they consistently read within a half degree of each other, much to the chagrin of the other gun owner.

Understanding how much the reading zone increases in size as you move away from the target is the key to accuracy. A larger zone causes it to take in information from surrounding area and objects. The laser is approximately the center of the read zone, but the read zone can be several inches in diameter, so be close to your objective and consistent. The boiled water is a good way to check your calibration with consideration to your altitude. Again with the distance from the surface of the water though, steam is not the same temp as the water and will affect your readings.

Another great use is to monitor your brakes by reading the temp of the drums after a run, if one side is hotter than the other, attention might be warranted. Check your head temp as well, over each cylinder, and the exhaust manifold at each cylinder is a good troubleshooting tool. Benchmarking that information when the car is running good, will be valuable if you suddenly suspect you have an issue down the road.

Have fun with it, in my opinion, with its low cost, dependability, and portable size, it is one the best diagnostic tools you can own.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
ford3

Bill W and Dog are right, no high ech tools required, just put your hand on top of radiator cores, should be hot enough so you cant leave your hand there, check both sides to see if the water is flowing evenly, then check the center of the radiator cores, should be hot but you can leave your hand there for a little bit, now chec the bottom of the cores should be just warm, a 160* thermostat should open at 160* or close to that and that should be the temp the water is entering the top of the radiator, with an infra red heat gun shoot the top of the radiator tank, that will give you the closest real reading
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Allanw

I wouldn't run a thermostat without a gauge - if it sticks shut, you won't know very fast!

If the gauge reads normal, the radiator temps aren't a big deal.

The IR guns average the temp over a larger area, as you move further away (asmentioned above)
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
johnsor

Due to a radiator problem thus seezing a piston on a fresh engine last summer on a hot day, I installed a good S/W temp gauge into the upper goose neck casting. I'll never run again without one.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Pinstripe

I need to speak in favor of running a thermostat. Coupe with good motor and good radiator, but came in with no thermostat. I could not get the temp. anywhere close to acceptable. It would never see even 140 degrees on a 90 degree day going up a steep hill. I installed a 160 first, and it improved, but still had trouble maintaining a good operating temp., so in went a 180 degree thermostat. Now the car runs smoother with more power and maintains temp. of 170 to 190. Never overheats, and now runs the way it should. Would not have been possible w/o thermostat. This is only my limited experience, but is worth consideration. Car has a temp gauge. Very valuable gauge to have.
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

My infared gun actually can see through the radiator core to the fan / engine. i place my hand between the fan and rad core on a cold motor and the gun read my body temp so be careful if your looking for accuracy. i also agree just using a hand i can detect cold spots.
using the gun on an angle to stop that from happening

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
V4F

I have a cheap temp gun . I think it works great . I also have a 160* thermostat & my radiator checks very close to yours . I don't see it as a problem . my s/w temp gauge says im running about 150-160* ........... works for me .
question : have you posted the temps backwards ? mine is hotter at the top than the bottom . water cools as it goes thru the radiator . I mostly check for cold/hot spots ............
Old 12-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
TinCup

I never ran a thermostat until I replaced my radiator. Without a tstat the motor will not in these cold temps get hot enough to burn off excess condensation. When you check the oil it will look like a Frosty from Wendy's. With a 160 in hose tstat it warms up faster and it stays between 165-180 depending on temps. As others have said if the top of tank is 180-190 you should have around a 40 -50 degree drop by the time it gets to the bottom of the rad. When I was chasing my overheating problems that was what I recorded with my infrared gun.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

If I remember correctly that's what I had recorded on my radiator also before the rust flakes blocked some tube tops. I run a thermostate (175* I think it was) and I had about 180* on the top tank and about 140 on the bottom tank. The top half of the radiator should loose a little more heat than the bottom half because the teperature differential of the air to coolant is greater on the top half. That's also why modern cars can get by with smaller radiators; they run hotter, so it's easier to shed the heat.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote