Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #41
Ronnie

Default Re: Adjustable Lifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Ordered the Hylift Johnsons on 3/22 from NOPI and they arrived yesterday 3/25 by FedEx.

Part # on box is B-2032 as JSeery reported above and manufacture dates stamped on each box of 4 range from 1/26/17 to 2/21/17. Boxes say Hylift Johnson A Division of Topline Automotive, Muskegon, USA. Am a dunce at posting pictures, but think these are the modern day, "real deal". Topline Automotive website states "Made in USA".

Once in my 59AB block, and fired up, will report back.

Dick.

Yes they are the real deal but not hollow but that isn't a problem with a daily driver and 50lb spring pressure.They are produced in the USA and "NOT" offshore. I believe the "a" and "b" in part numbers is in reference to the packaging single as opposed to a box of 4.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #42
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
And your question is??
Don't have a question Ronnie, just posting some information.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #43
marko39

i bought a set of the solid type in 1992 from Terrill Machine in Texas. they are unmarked and box is marked VL-36. price was $64.00 plus $3.00 for pair of wrenches which are marked Johnson.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #44
Ol' Ron

When I started building engines for sale back in the lat 80's that's all I could find. Never had a problem with them. I had some light weight used lifters that I had JWL re grind, I used them on my engines. never had any problems with them either. I think the problem came when they started making them over seas.. Poor quality control.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #45
19Fordy

For what it's worth the Johnson adjustables I bought in 1968 were hollow and
were in a cardboard box marked WOLVERINE Manufacturing Co. in MI.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #46
Curt in AZ

I recently purchased a set of adjustable lifters from Speedway. Now I wonder if they are quality lifters. Any experience?
Curt in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #47
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt in AZ View Post
I recently purchased a set of adjustable lifters from Speedway. Now I wonder if they are quality lifters. Any experience?
Did they come in a clear plastic package with 16 round recesses? I can't imagine there are too many different outfits that manufacture these things. About half of mine were too loose when cranked to the dimension needed. If you have an inch-lb torque wrench, put them in a wood jawed vise and test them for 60 inch lbs. Also see if a known good quality file will cut into the body. When I ordered mine last fall I thought finding real Johnsons was next to impossible. I fixed mine by compressing the bolts endwise in a good vice until 60 inch-lbs ( 5 ft lbs) was obtained and they passed the file test so I'm feeling ok. Next time I will go straight to the Johnsons/hi lift product mentioned in this thread. I don't care if they are hollow or solid. I just want to know they will stay put.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #48
Curt in AZ

Thanks GB. I'll check them today as you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Did they come in a clear plastic package with 16 round recesses? I can't imagine there are too many different outfits that manufacture these things. About half of mine were too loose when cranked to the dimension needed. If you have an inch-lb torque wrench, put them in a wood jawed vise and test them for 60 inch lbs. Also see if a known good quality file will cut into the body. When I ordered mine last fall I thought finding real Johnsons was next to impossible. I fixed mine by compressing the bolts endwise in a good vice until 60 inch-lbs ( 5 ft lbs) was obtained and they passed the file test so I'm feeling ok. Next time I will go straight to the Johnsons/hi lift product mentioned in this thread. I don't care if they are hollow or solid. I just want to know they will stay put.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #49
Curt in AZ

My lifters are Isky brand from Speedway, not Speedway brand. They say "Made in US." They are solid, have about 65 inch pounds and passed the file test so I'll install them and see how they last. Anyone have any experience with this lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #50
Talkwrench

I'm watching all this with interest.. I should buy a set for this engine I'm building. From memory I did see something about drilling the lifter bores, anyone have info on this or is not required ?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #51
flatjack9

Yes it is required if you want to adjust the lifters easily. Drill low in the lifter bore. I use a long center punch and then a long 1/8" drill.
flatjack9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #52
fordwife

I believe that the reason for this is hold them in one position while adjusting.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #53
cas3

an old thread on drilling https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135103
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #54
Talkwrench

I take it that it does not hurt if you end up going back to a standard lifter?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:00 PM   #55
Lawrie

Rob, use the stock lifters,lighter and never loose the adjustment
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #56
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
I take it that it does not hurt if you end up going back to a standard lifter?

To answer your question I see no reason whatsoever that this 1/8" hole would be detrimental should you go back to original solid lifters. In fact it should increase the oiling of the lifter. I wish I had bought your Speedway lifters. They pass the test with flying colors. Perhaps since they are solid and resemble the Johnson/Hilift product, along with the unusual 'made in usa', we might assume they are sourced from Johnson/hilift, and are indeed the same lifters. ???
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote