Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
tsanborn

Default Country Sedan Tailgate Springs

Hi All-

The upper tailgate on my '56 Country Sedan sages down when open and I'm getting tired of hitting my head on it. The hinges are lubed so I have to believe that the springs have lost strength. Does anyone have a source for replacement springs (Ford or otherwise)?
tsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
tsanborn

Default Re: Country Sedan Tailgate Springs

Sorry, that was suppose to read "sags down", not sages down.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Wink Re: Country Sedan Tailgate Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanborn View Post

Sorry, that was suppose to read "sags down", not sages down.
That's OK ... After bumping you head you may have been a bit delirious ...

Any who, the PN on the spring(s) is B5A 5942936-A.

Hope that helps.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #4
tsanborn

That's great, thanks! What do I do with part number? Is there a source?

"If all the men I've known in my life were lined up end to end, ...
I wouldn't be a bit surprised."

Dorothy Parker
Old 08-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
Dobie Gillis

Since it's just a tension spring that hooks to the upper gate hinge assembly and a bracket attached to the body opening it seems to me a good hardware store would have something that would work. Just take one of the springs in for comparison.,
Old 08-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
JimNNN

I don't have a '56, but I'm curious: Does the '56 wagon not have a wing nut on each side that tightens to the hinge apparatus, locking the upper tailgate in the "up" position? That's what my '54 has. My upper tailgate won't stay open on it's own, either, so I've always relied on the wing nuts and never thought much about it.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: Country Sedan Tailgate Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanborn View Post

What do I do with part number? Is there a source?
That is the original FORD SERVICE PN that will allow you to seek and find (hopefully) a NOS or take-off spring.

I SEARCHED the PN and nothing came up but the 1954 FORD PN did show.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNNN View Post
I don't have a '56, but I'm curious: Does the '56 wagon not have a wing nut on each side that tightens to the hinge apparatus, locking the upper tailgate in the "up" position? That's what my '54 has. My upper tailgate won't stay open on it's own, either, so I've always relied on the wing nuts and never thought much about it.
Correct. The springs are just to aid in opening the upper gate, they aren't intended to hold it open. The wing nuts do that job.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Question Re: Country Sedan Tailgate Springs

Quote:

Are you sure the wing nuts are OEM? Can you post a photo?

The spring (and a good condition hinge assy) should hold it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LIFTGATE HINGE - 1952-54 FORD - BA 5942900-01-A.jpg (19.3 KB, 8 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 08-04-2021 at 03:07 AM. Reason: NOS PHOTO ADDED
Old 08-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #10
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Are you sure the wing nuts are OEM?
KULTULZ, as a general rule, I'm not sure of anything!

My car's at the storage place, but I looked in my old '54 owner's manual just now - no pics, and no detailed description, but it does say that the upper gate (called the "lift gate" in that manual) has a way to be locked in place.

Yesterday I found a pic online of a '54 that also showed the wing nuts on the hinge. Couldn't find that pic today, but I found a couple of others that show the wing nuts on the hinges. I'll try to post them here and hopefully the pic will be big enough to show what I'm talking about. One of the cars is a modded '54 on Mecum, and it looks to have a different style of nut. Fancier. I'll post a pic of my hinges when I get a chance. BTW, that hinge pic you showed would likely be wing nut side down. The actual hinge pic I found online was the same way...wrong vantage point.

So, at this point I'd say they probably did come from the factory with the wing nut locks. You're correct though, my springs need replacing, too.

Last edited by JimNNN; 08-04-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #11
tsanborn

Wow, this forum is amazing! My thanks to all for your thoughts. I'm attaching a couple of photos of the tailgate hinge. I don't see any opportunity for wing nuts but maybe I'm missing something. I'll keep checking for new springs. I'm wondering whether a pair of more powerful springs won't create other problems when opening and closing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2062.jpg (44.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2063.jpg (41.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:13 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Post Re: Country Sedan Tailgate Springs

Quote:
I'm wondering whether a pair of more powerful springs won't create other problems when opening and closing.
It would put more stress on the hinge causing more wear and inability to hold gate up over time.

I still do not think the locks are OEM. They were most likely added when the tailgate hinge and/or spring began to fail and service parts were not available (before EvilBay).

I do remember broom sticks being used ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 08-05-2021 at 05:00 AM. Reason: ADD ILLUSTRATIONS
Old 08-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #13
JimNNN

It would be very possible to replace one of the rivets on each side with a wingnut, after market. That could be what happened.

However, my owners manual says, "The lift gate has counterbalanced hinges and can be locked in the open position," and I can't see any other way it could be locked open. Looks like a different owner's manual than what you're showing, KULTULZ. Possibly a mid year change? I checked recently, and I think my wagon was made in June of '54. I'm posting pics from the manual and hopefully they'll be oriented correctly. I'll take pics of my hinges in the next day or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54ownersmanual1.jpg (83.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 54ownersmanual2.jpg (71.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by JimNNN; 08-05-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #14
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Country Sedan Tailgate Springs

Quote:

It would be very possible to replace one of the rivets on each side with a wingnut, after market. That could be what happened.

However, my owners manual says, "The lift gate has counterbalanced hinges and can be locked in the open position," and I can't see any other way it could be locked open. Looks like a different owner's manual than what you're showing, KULTULZ. Possibly a mid year change? I checked recently, and I think my wagon was made in June of '54. I'm posting pics from the manual and hopefully they'll be oriented correctly. I'll take pics of my hinges in the next day or two.
My excerpt was from the 1956 OWNERS MANUAL.

My understanding of the text is that the LIFTGATE is raised/lowered with the help of the springs. Spring tension is what holds it open fully. If the hinge is worn and/or the spring has lost it's spring, it is going to droop, much like an old man ... ...

What confuses I believe is the latch release on the tailgate slide description. My thought is either the service parts were discontinued and/or the owner didn't want to spend the money.

- DISCLAIMER -