Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #11
TJ

Default Re: 2014 Gettysburg Meet Photo Thread

I've sat back and read many of the comments/criticisms regarding the times the meets are held, the lack of young people, etc. As someone who has been directly involved in several Western National meets and four Grand National meets I think I'm qualified to comment. First let me comment on the days chosen to hold a meet. As someone who has negotiated hotel contracts ( I negotiated the contract for the last Grand National) and have traveled great distances to other meets I have never found weekend hotel rates to be cheaper on the weekends. If that is the case, I welcome Vic or anyone else to find a hotel in a nice area with those cheaper weekend rates. It comes down to whether you want a good rate during the week or a more expensive rate on the weekends. The more expensive rate can also be harmful to our younger people who are on a budget.

Our meets are always held in great locations. Unlike Goodguys or NSRA who always have their meets in the same locations, they are able to negotiate hotel rates from year to year based on a large volume of people. They are also a commercial enterprise, so they have lots of $ for down payments and make promises to hotels to meet the minimum requirements of the contract. As a non profit we do not have the $ or the sheer numbers to be able to negotiate "sweet heart" deals with hotels on the weekends. Unlike Goodguys or NSRA our meets are held in areas that can include a great vacation along with attending the meet. The meets are scheduled well in advance and it gives people time to plan their vacation time to attend. When I was still working I had to plan vacations almost a year in advance. Thank goodness the club meets were advertised far enough ahead that I could request my vacation to attend a meet.

Let's take Gettysburg for example. Bring your car and family and then take a couple of days away from the meet and explore the area. At the same time the kids can learn a little about the history of our great country. They'll probably learn more in Gettysburg than they will in school. I'm sure there are other attractions close by for the wife and kids. No one says you have to spend every waking moment at the meet. You are not locked in to any one event , so your time spent there is your time to use anyway that you wish. I can name several other past meets that were beautiful vacation spots.

As for encouraging young people that has always been a problem. It's a problem in every social organization that has been around for a long time. Check your local Elks Lodge or any other fraternal organization. They are all having trouble recruiting young people. I hear the same problem from the Model A Club and the Model T Club. The hobby is expensive and it's tough on a growing family's budget. If any one of you want to sell your V-8 at 1/3 it's value, so a young person can join he club please hold up your hand. Maybe we should look at bringing in cars from 1954-1959?(Both Goodguys and NSRA have done this very thing). They're cheaper and may appeal to the younger people. I've asked around and that issue gets people real excited on both sides of the aisle. We also have to face the fact that some of the younger generation just doesn't have the interest. Check around with your own kids and the neighbor kids and I'll bet you find little interest, even within your own family. Most kids today want a new Honda with a big stereo and loud exhaust. They know absolutely nothing about how to use a wrench. You can thank your local school system for that problem as auto shop, etc. has been phased out for computer classes.(I'm trying to leave out the politics with that one).

So if any of you have an easy answer, I'm all ears and willing to try anything that has some merit. If you are not happy with the club and want to make a difference please consider running for a Director position. New people can inject new ideas and we welcome anyone who has ideas to help keep or increase our membership and bring in young people. It's interesting to note that many of the commenters on this site who have criticized the V-8 Club are not V-8 club members. I welcome criticism as long as you can offer a viable solution to the problem. Simply doing a "hit and run" criticism of the club without offering a solution will go in one ear and out the other with me. You are more than welcome to contact me via e-mail, personal message on this site, or calling me. My number is in the current V-8 Club roster. I've been a member since 1974 , so I'm not going to go away anytime soon(I hope).
Tom Johnston, Early Ford V-8 Club Vice President and California/Southwest Director.