Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Zeke32

Default Charlotte,NC.

We are headed to Charlotte next weekend, to do the Nascar tour, shops, Hall of Fame etc. Is there anything else Hot Rod related happening there, to visit, or to see?? A drive thru the Smokey Mountains??

Any input is appreciated.
Zeke32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
jerry grayson

Default Re: Charlotte,NC.

Dennis Carpenter museum.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
roccaas

Sandwich Construction Company south of the Track near Research Park. Bring paper and pen, you might run into Junior Johnson or Kevin Harvick.

If you drive the Smoky's, find and run the Dragon's Tail. Bring money for Barney Fife.

Stop off in Maggie Valley for the Museum (mostly Harley's, but some cars). Try the Garlic Knots at the same named restaurant.

Fresh Brewed beer in Sylva @ Heinzelmenchen.

Follow the App. Parkway. 5,800 feet, 64 degrees, beautiful view.

If going to Tennessee, there is a great Hot Rod/Muscle Museum @ Sevierville near Knoxvegas.

Last edited by roccaas; 08-05-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: mis-spell
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
Bovar

Talking Re: Charlotte,NC.

Hi Zeke: While your in the Chlt area a stop at the newly open NASCAR HOF will cost you $20.00, but it's A/C will save you from the heat for at least 4 hours.Thats how long it took for me and my family to wander about looking at some very intresting artifacts.
Even if your not a race fan, a stop at MWR in Huntersville can entertain you with there "FAN ZONE".A clear view from the second floor of ALL SHOP ACTIVITES, might even get lucky with drivers in house?
Another Museum stop is located in nearby Mooresville NC.Many more race cars than at HOF and half the price."MemoryLane Museum" Hwy 150(River road) just west of exit #36 on the left, you can't miss the huge 2 story building crammed full.
Spencer,NC has the Transportation Museum highlighting TRAINS but also a peek at a few vintage cars and trucks from back in the day.Well restored for public display.
No matter your stay drive carefully and be sure to bring your camera.Your bound to like something we have here in NC.
Bovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
KiWinUS

there are 2 museums in Mooresvile , Knob Hill rd. in mooresville behind Lowes is great as well as the Memory Lane on hwy 150 .Be sure if you cross the hills thru Ashville on I40 to gas to Wheels thru Time in Maggie Valley as Roccas said.Its one of my favourite in the world, check it out online , they will even start some up while you are there , nothing like seeing a 1/4 million $ Crocker doing a Burnout. Theres a Fri-night cruisin @ the Hardees in Stanley, just 1 few miles out of Charlotte.
Enjoy!!!
Cheers
Tony.........
Charlotte resident
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovar View Post
Hi Zeke: While your in the Chlt area a stop at the newly open NASCAR HOF will cost you $20.00, but it's A/C will save you from the heat for at least 4 hours.Thats how long it took for me and my family to wander about looking at some very intresting artifacts.
Even if your not a race fan, a stop at MWR in Huntersville can entertain you with there "FAN ZONE".A clear view from the second floor of ALL SHOP ACTIVITES, might even get lucky with drivers in house?
Another Museum stop is located in nearby Mooresville NC.Many more race cars than at HOF and half the price."MemoryLane Museum" Hwy 150(River road) just west of exit #36 on the left, you can't miss the huge 2 story building crammed full.
Spencer,NC has the Transportation Museum highlighting TRAINS but also a peek at a few vintage cars and trucks from back in the day.Well restored for public display.
No matter your stay drive carefully and be sure to bring your camera.Your bound to like something we have here in NC.
Does the Spencer Museum still have the NC State Trooper car with the bulletproof windshield? It may have been a Ford, but you could read the small print through the thick windshield.
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Zeke32

Thanks guy's, that's what I am looking for.
How long of a ride to Seriville, Tn. from Charlotte??
Zeke32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Pamlico

My guess is about 3 hours from Charlotte to Sevierville, TN. You'll have to cross the mountains, but it's not bad. Look for Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum. You have a computer--Google it!
Pamlico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
cuzncletus

It's got to be closer to 4 from Charlotte to Sevierville. Floyd Garrett's museum is definitely worth the trip and there are often car events in the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area on weekends.

All above is good advice...except... stay away from the Tail of the Dragon. (Last time I was there it was closed one way anyhow.) It's nothing but berserkers on crotch rockets at insane speeds, often rocketing off of or into the side of the mountains. I've been through there too many times, it used to be in my law enforcement patrol area, and rarely has there not been a motorcycle wreck of some proportions somewhere on the road. Heck, there's even a successful business that takes photos of the bike crashes and then sells them to the victims as a bizarre kind of Red Badge of Courage. They station a life flight helicopter in the area on weekends. Cops are all over it now lilke ants at a picnic. Local riders avoid the Dragon as they know there are any number of roads as scenic in the area without the hassles. It's an odd combination of a tourist and a death trap.

This whole area is hot rod heaven with many old car nuts retiring there to its pleasant climate and tons of events, plus its hard to find an ugly part of the country there. It's like what you read about happening in California but it's centrally located right here in the Eastern US. Charlotte's neat for its NASCAR roots (and the shops of Spencer are heaven for any gearhead; their gears are just bigger) but you can't beat the Smokies for the good life in the Eastern US.
cuzncletus is offline   Reply With Quote