Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Jay in Mass

Default Speedway 9 super 7 carb.

Can someone out there give me some feedback on the Speedway 9 super 7 carburetor that he is selling for about $300? Do the parts interchange with the old 97s?
Thanks in advance for any all advice.
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Speedway 9 super 7 carb.

Scuddle butt is not up to par,got bad reveiws on here a while back. ken ct omo You want cheap you get cheep.Buy an original thats rebuilt by one of the barners on here. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
denis4x4

I'm running a pair of the English 97's and it's my opinion that they're cheaper in the long run than rebuilt units. I've paid big bucks for cores and rebuilds by the "97 guru" that have left a lot to be desired. As to the Speedway 97 reports, most of the negative reports are posted by people who have never laid eyes on one, let alone run one. The Speedy Bill fan club is not well represented on the HAMB!
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
As to the Speedway 97 reports, most of the negative reports are posted by people who have never laid eyes on one, let alone run one.
True, and what makes those negative reports even more dubious is that some have come from those who make money rebuilding original 97's , or marketing the "new" authentic Stromberg 97's. I'd like to see an unbiased evaluation from someone who doesn't have a dog in the hunt.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Jay in Mass

Bob,Denis 4x4 and Ken

That's what makes this flathead family forum so nice. The answers are always out there from the guys who have been there and done that.

I would have gone and blown 300 for nothing.

Based on what I have seen now, I ain't gonna get one of those things!

Thank all of you very much and I'm sorrry that I put this question in the wrong section. Old age is creeping in.

Jay
Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Watch that "old age" crap.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Jay in Mass

Done4
I try to fight it by exercise, reading and working on my old cars.
Jay
Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
sturgis 39

I bought three 9 super 7 from Speedway. I thought they would be great. The problems are pretty will described in the reviews and are accurate. I wish I had read the reviews before the purchase. I have solved most of the problems with the help of people on HAMB and on this forum.

I bought two rebuilt 81's from Ken CT and they worked great right out of the box.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 06-14-2011 at 06:52 AM. Reason: capitalized Speedway
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
denis4x4

[QUOTE=sturgis 39;223559]I bought three 9 super 7 from Speedway. I thought they would be great. The problems are pretty will described in the reviews and are accurate. I wish I had read the reviews before the purchase. I have solved most of the problems with the help of people on HAMB and on this forum.

I bought two rebuilt 81's from Ken CT and they worked great right out of the box.[/

I've seen plenty of quotes like yours. How about some specific issues. There have been several posts on the HAMB by users that have liked them. What's not to like in your case?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
sturgis 39

[QUOTE=denis4x4;223755]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
I bought three 9 super 7 from Speedway. I thought they would be great. The problems are pretty will described in the reviews and are accurate. I wish I had read the reviews before the purchase. I have solved most of the problems with the help of people on HAMB and on this forum.

I bought two rebuilt 81's from Ken CT and they worked great right out of the box.[/

I've seen plenty of quotes like yours. How about some specific issues. There have been several posts on the HAMB by users that have liked them. What's not to like in your case?
The jet plugs leaked, the floats were not set right and the butter flies for the throttle are not shaped or centered correctly. The top cover gasket leaked. The throttle butter fly will not return to the same spot every time. These were suppose to be ready to go right out of the box and flow tested. You must be reading different reviews than I did .

I bumped a discussion on 97's to the top on thev8 forum.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 06-15-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: v8 forum 97 bumped to top
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
petew

I have a pair of them on my car and they run great. No leaks no problems at all .
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #12
ken ct
BANNED

Thank you Sturgis,i have my comebacks like everyone else.Some just dont work out.BUT i stand behind my work by replacing or refund. It dont get no better than that. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
denis4x4

I was at the counter at Speedway yesterday and asked specifically about 9 Super 7 carb problems. According to the counterman, there were some problems that they felt had been addressed over the past year. Based on my personal experience of doing business with Speedway over the past 30 years, I've yet to have a problem that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #14
jkeesey

Rehashing an old thread because I'm working on these carbs right now. Installed a 3x2 setup using the 9super7 carbs. Car ran fine no problems. Gave it back to the customer and after about 60 miles it ran like crap and was leaking fuel from the center carb. Called speedway and after some major heming and hawing they agreed to take it back and send us another. Installed replacement and sent car home. 50 miles later and its leaking from the same spot. Now the finish of the intake manifold looks terrible from being washed in gas repeatedly.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I understand your frustration, so lets look at it from this perspective. Exactly 'where' is the fuel leaking from? Is it caused by too much fuel pressure or is something like rust sediment affecting the needle & seat? I understand these carbs really do not like anything more than a couple pounds of fuel pressure.

If it is not caused by too much pressure, is it the base gasket or the lower body gasket that is leaking? Maybe they are deteriorating due to the type of fuel?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #16
jkeesey

Fuel pressure is 2.5lbs. Everything is brand new so nothing is deteriorated. The surface for the plug gaskets must not be flat. They had cheap plastic gaskets for the plugs which leaked, so I put copper washers in on their suggestion and they leak soon after installation. They are just a very poorly made copy.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #17
Jim Brierley

Comparing three 9super7 carbs to a pair of 81's is comparing apples to oranges. The super's flow 250 cfm each, the 81 flows 135 cfm. I put a super on a friends tudor and it worked good out of the box but better after I jetted it down a little.
Jim Brierley is online now   Reply With Quote