Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Speedometer stopped working on my 29

I was just out for a drive when I noticed my speedometer was not working. As I drove along I was hearing a tick tick tick. I take it that the cable came off but I wanted to check with the guys on hear first before I start taking things apart. Any tips or tricks when it comes to getting the speedometer working? Thanks for all your help.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
papanick

Default Re: Speedometer stopped working on my 29

Ron if you need the speedometer service or rebuild I can help. It could have locked up and damaged the cable. email me at [email protected] if you need my help. papanick.
papanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:38 PM   #3
Model A Ron

The speedometer was replaced by the PO and has 350 miles on it so I do not think that's it. It was working fine one minute and then it just stopped working and tick tick tick. To me it sounds like the cable popped out under the car but when I looked the cable was screwed into the trans.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
Slowmotoring

I had the same issue on my 29 tudor. I found where the cable goes into the speedometer there is a small piece of tin between the cable and the part that spins where the cable goes in. My tin piece ended up getting rounded some and stopped working. I was able to pull out the tin piece with needle nose pliers and turn it around so the end that was originally in first is now facing out since it was in better shape than the other end. Not sure if all speedometers have this tin piece or not but thats how i got mine going again. I also removed the back cover of the speedometer and applied small amount of oil on the gears to help things move freely.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
Gene F

I hope it's just the cable popped out of the back of the head. However, I'm never lucky. I tell ya, would not surprise me if your speedo is broken. Every darn time I send a job out to be done I am dissatified in some way. Either It cost way more than I feel is fair, it's half-A$$ed, I have to take it back which is a PIA...you get the idea. Got som I just dread sending any work out.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #6
nkaminar

Ron,

I guess the first thing to do is unhook the cable from the back of the speedometer, jack up one wheel at the rear end, run the car in the garage, and check to see if the end of the cable is rotating. Then check for the tin piece that Slow mentioned. Before getting that far along, check to see if the cable is loose at the speedometer.

To check the speedometer, I have used a variable speed electric drill motor. The speedometer I was checking had a protruding shaft to hook to but if you speedometer has a recess you will have to find something like a square driver to fit.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
To check the speedometer, I have used a variable speed electric drill motor. The speedometer I was checking had a protruding shaft to hook to but if you speedometer has a recess you will have to find something like a square driver to fit.
I believe a S2 square bit fits the speedometer
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I hope it's just the cable popped out of the back of the head. However, I'm never lucky. I tell ya, would not surprise me if your speedo is broken. Every darn time I send a job out to be done I am dissatified in some way. Either It cost way more than I feel is fair, it's half-A$$ed, I have to take it back which is a PIA...you get the idea. Got som I just dread sending any work out.
Boy, do I hear that! When I find a person who is decent at their job, I hang on to them. They are rare.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #9
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I recently made the mistake of buying a rebuilt speedo from a reputable rebuilder that advertises on Ford Barn and it reads way off. For example read 30mph when my GPS says 45mph. Very disappointed to say the least.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #10
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Hey Master Cyl,

You might just have the wrong speedometer gear in the torque tube. You will need to check your differential ratio and get the speedometer gear that matches the ratio.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #11
1930 coupe

Model A speedometers are very accurate if rebuilt and calibrated properly.
After a proper rebuild most Model A speedometers can be calibrated to plus or minus one MPH from 10 MPH to 70 MPH if the rebuilder knows what he is doing has the proper equipment and willing to spend the time to get it wright.
Non original size tires, different rear-end ratios and wrong driveshaft gears will make your speedometer read wrong, if you try to make internal adjustments inside the speedometer to compensate for these changes then your odometer will be off. The only way to make a properly calibrated speedometer read wright on a modified drive train is by changing the gear ratios at the driveshaft.
1930 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #12
Model A Ron

Do you need to take any special care when inserting the speedometer cable into the transmission? Can it pop out on that end?
Old 04-03-2021, 10:53 PM   #13
1930 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Do you need to take any special care when inserting the speedometer cable into the transmission? Can it pop out on that end?
If you are using original Ford inner and outer cables, your inner cable should turn easy and have about 1/8 inch end play when connected to the speedometer.
Reproduction cables are a crap shoot, some are 1/2 to 1 inch too long or short and when mixing and matching inner and outer cables it may or may not work.
Also on many reproduction cables the inner cable will have 1/2 inch or more end play and will drop down and come out of the speedometer and it will stop working. Sometimes the end play can be corrected and sometimes it cant.
some people put a nail in the driveshaft gear to hold the cable up.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:04 PM   #14
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
Hey Master Cyl,

You might just have the wrong speedometer gear in the torque tube. You will need to check your differential ratio and get the speedometer gear that matches the ratio.
That is a good thought except the odometer reads correctly.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:29 PM   #15
McMimmcs

And what pray tell did the vendor say when you returned the speedometer to him?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:38 PM   #16
1930 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
That is a good thought except the odometer reads correctly.
There are 3 adjustments on the calibration. If your odometer is correct move the metal tab to the left to make it read faster. The other two adjustments require special equipment and training, If you move it all the way to the left and it is still too slow then someone with the special equipment and training will need to adjust it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calibration.jpg (102.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 04-03-2021, 11:54 PM   #17
redmodelt

[QUOTE=Model A Ron;2003550]Do you need to take any special care when inserting the speedometer cable into the transmission? Can it pop out on that end?[/QUOTE

Unless you have something like a Mitchell overdrive installed, the speedometer cable hooks up the drive shaft.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:21 AM   #18
Model A Ron

[QUOTE=redmodelt;2003563]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Do you need to take any special care when inserting the speedometer cable into the transmission? Can it pop out on that end?[/QUOTE

Unless you have something like a Mitchell overdrive installed, the speedometer cable hooks up the drive shaft.
I took off the cable from the transmission and it has a little tab on the side. When I line it up to go back on it slips in but does the tab location mean anything?

Thanks
Ron
Old 04-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #19
Model A Ron

Happy Easter everyone!

Took the speedometer out and it works just fine when I tested it so I put it back in the car. Then I jacked the car up and looked at the cable in the car. It was not turning with the car in gear but when I applied a little pressure and pushed it in it started to turn. I know some have said to add a nail to the transmission gear but I do not understand how this looks or how to do it. Can someone post a photo of the fix with the nail? I am sure it works but I cannot visualize it.

Thanks
Ron
Old 04-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #20
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
There are 3 adjustments on the calibration. If your odometer is correct move the metal tab to the left to make it read faster. The other two adjustments require special equipment and training, If you move it all the way to the left and it is still too slow then someone with the special equipment and training will need to adjust it.
Thanks for that. I will try it.