Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Steering Box LEAKS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
What can be done besides installing the seal around the steering gear sector and installing a steering gear end plate w/rod to stop leaks?

Is there anyone who's gear box does NOT LEAK?
Leak, ...or weep?

To begin with, if it is leaking out past the sector shaft, whomever set the clearance between the bushing and the shaft missed their number. It is also possible they installed the bushing incorrectly where the spiral trough continues to the end of the housing.

Second, the tube does correct leakage into the headlight switch, and placing a couple drops of either Permatex 8011 or some generic liquid thread-sealer is all that you need on the end bolts. None is needed on the adjuster plate side of the sector housing as you have a gasket there on the two-tooth.

Grease is fine in certain bushing applications however once the worm gear has squeezed out the grease between the sector teeth, not sure how someone expects the grease to re-lube the sector teeth and the steering shaft worm gear afterwards, -but then again, there are probably some people using grease in the rear end differential to cut down on leaks.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #22
ryanheacox

An update on my steering box. It does weep now.... looks like it's coming from the joint between the worm housing and sector housing. It's very slight, not worth taking apart to fix but damn I really did try to seal that thing up.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #23
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
An update on my steering box. It does weep now.... looks like it's coming from the joint between the worm housing and sector housing. It's very slight, not worth taking apart to fix but damn I really did try to seal that thing up.
One of the things that needs to happen during the restoration of a 2-tooth is the sector housing really needs to be placed on a 1.125" lathe mandrel and spun between centers while facing the end of the sector housing. You can do this before or after honing the sector bushings, but often the sector housing flange has been over-tightened where it is distorted. Generally less that a 0.010" cut is all that is needed to true & flatten that surface.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #24
DNLs1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post

After my standpipe mod and RTV use on the bolt threads and filling with the thicker cotton picker spindle "grease" no leak like with the 600WT but I do get the weeping from the sector/frame mating surface. When parked I put an absorbent pad on the frame section to keep it from making a mess but it is pretty minimal compared to the 600WT that would drip out until empty.

I know a rebuild requires the steering column be removed and all that goes with that so hoping the sector seal(s) can be changed with minimal disassembly. This will be my first real maintenance project and one where the car is inoperable so need to learn a lot and make sure I don't have a garage resident for too long.
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote