Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #21
Model A Ron

Default Re: Muffler Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Thanks Oldblueoval. I was just looking into buying a Aries muffler and was wondering if I should go with the stainless.
Ruth
From what I understand the stainless will run hotter as well. Unless your going to be driving you A in a lot of rain and road salt I would save your money and get the steel. In my opinion the black looks better anyway but that's just my opinion.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #22
Model A Ron

Quote:
Thanks Oldblueoval. I was just looking into buying a Aries muffler and was wondering if I should go with the stainless.
Ruth
Unless you plan on driving you A in a lot of rain and road salt I would save your money and go with steel painted black. From what I understand Stainless will run hotter as well.

Ron
Old 05-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #23
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Ruth
Unless you plan on driving you A in a lot of rain and road salt I would save your money and go with steel painted black. From what I understand Stainless will run hotter as well.

Ron
Not even close to the reason for using stainless over mild steel.

Not sure where you got your info on the stainless being hotter. The BTUs are coming from the spent gasses of the engine. Both will conduct heat similarly.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 05-20-2021 at 12:11 PM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #24
Conaway2

I’ve never heard that a stainless muffler will run hotter. I do know that I bought a stainless muffler from Bratton’s over 30 years ago and it has held up very well. It’s the best-fitting muffler I’ve ever had on my Model A’s, has not rusted, and has that distinctive Model A sound.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #25
redmodelt

I am thinking that with a straight pipe you would have almost no back pressure, so could it be that it's not the outer shape, but the baffles in side? (sure there would be some expansion of gasses once they reached the muffler, don't know how much that would affect back pressure) If this is something recent, maybe something got packed inside by a transient squirrel, mouse or other nocturnal rodent. My thought would be, if you are unhappy with what is on the car now, buy a new one of your choice that way you will know that brand and type it is.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #26
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
I’ve never heard that a stainless muffler will run hotter. I do know that I bought a stainless muffler from Bratton’s over 30 years ago and it has held up very well. It’s the best-fitting muffler I’ve ever had on my Model A’s, has not rusted, and has that distinctive Model A sound.
Thanks Conway, I just ordered a stainless one. I don't want to deal with rust and paint. I'm told the stainless will "patina" nicely and not be "in your face" shiny.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #27
Conaway2

Quote:
Thanks Conway, I just ordered a stainless one. I don't want to deal with rust and paint. I'm told the stainless will "patina" nicely and not be "in your face" shiny.
Mine is no longer shiny, but certainly not rusty.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #28
Model A Ron

Is the Stainless a 300 series or a 400 series? If it's a 300 series in my opinion you better saving your money and go with steel.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:04 PM   #29
Ruth

Quote:
Is the Stainless a 300 series or a 400 series? If it's a 300 series in my opinion you better saving your money and go with steel.
I thought 300 series is more corrosion resistant than 400 series? Why would you not want 300 series?

Last edited by Ruth; 05-20-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #30
Model A Ron

Quote:
I thought 300 series is more corrosion resistant?
There are two categories of stainless steel used in exhaust systems, 300 series and 400 series. In my opinion 400 is the only way to go for an exhaust system if your going with stainless.

400 series contain chromium ranging between 11% to 12% and handles heat cycling better than the 300 series.

300 series contains chromium ranging between 18% to 30%, This series of stainless becomes brittle after constant heating and cooling which is exactly what an exhaust system does. Brittle means the metal will crack as it becomes hard.

On the plus side 300 series stainless will polish up better for appearance and look pretty.

Ron
Old 05-20-2021, 08:28 PM   #31
Gene F

I have heard that the Aries actually needs a to be taken to a muffler shop and the neck bent a little to get it to fit right. Any truth to that? I have at least one spare muffler, and they all get that coating of rust.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #32
Ruth

Quote:
There are two categories of stainless steel used in exhaust systems, 300 series and 400 series. In my opinion 400 is the only way to go for an exhaust system if your going with stainless.

400 series contain chromium ranging between 11% to 12% and handles heat cycling better than the 300 series.

300 series contains chromium ranging between 18% to 30%, This series of stainless becomes brittle after constant heating and cooling which is exactly what an exhaust system does. Brittle means the metal will crack as it becomes hard.

On the plus side 300 series stainless will polish up better for appearance and look pretty.

Ron
And the 300 series has more nickel so it is more corrosion resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I have heard that the Aries actually needs a to be taken to a muffler shop and the neck bent a little to get it to fit right. Any truth to that? I have at least one spare muffler, and they all get that coating of rust.
And I have heard the only reason you would have to bend a Aries muffler is if your manifold has sagged excessively and needs to be replaced.

Let's not start posting hearsay unless you have actually experienced a problem with product.

Last edited by Ruth; 05-20-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:49 PM   #33
Model A Ron

Quote:
And the 300 series has more nickel so it is more corrosion resistant.

And I have heard you only reason you would have to bend a aries muffler is if your manifold has sagged excessively and needs to be replaced.

Let's not start posting hearsay unless you have actually experienced a problem with product.
Ruth
I posted general information about 300 and 400 series Stainless steel mufflers. I do not know what series stainless Aries uses so take it as Metallurgy.

The only opinion I stated is :

"In my opinion 400 is the only way to go for an exhaust system if your going with stainless"

If you think what I said is hearsay please look it up for yourself and report back to us on what you find.

Your right that 300 series has Nickel and that combined with the chromium does make it more corrosion resistant.

The 300 stainless becomes brittle after constant heating and cooling which is exactly what an exhaust system does so the fact that it will look better over time is not much of an argument for me. I could go further into microstructure, chemistry and mechanical properties but unless you have a Metallurgical background that information would be useless to most.

Last edited by Model A Ron; 05-20-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:56 PM   #34
Ruth

Quote:
Ruth
I posted general information about 300 and 400 series Stainless steel mufflers. I do not know what series stainless Aries uses so take it as Metallurgy not opinion. If you think what I said is hearsay please look it up for yourself and report back to us on what you find.
Did I highlight anything (in red) in your post? I was referring to Gene F.

BTW, I know what series S/S Aries uses. It is on their website.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:27 PM   #35
Model A Ron

Quote:
Did I highlight anything (in red) in your post? I was referring to Gene F.

BTW, I know what series S/S Aries uses. It is on their website.
Sorry I thought you were talking about what I posted . So please share with us what Series Stainless they use. I just looked on the page and could not find it.

Last edited by Model A Ron; 05-20-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:01 AM   #36
Model A Ron

I just found this on the Aries website:

A-5230-SS 28-31 Stainless Steel Muffler, 300 series stainless steel inside and out, polished finish.
$319.00

I am sure the 300 series would be fine for many years on a car that is not driven every day but in my opinion I would go with the Aries Steel and I feel it would hold up just as good in the same conditions. Should they offer a 400 series in the future i would consider it but not a 300 Series.

If you like shiny things by all means go with the 300 Series Stainless.

Please remember we all have opinions and this is mine.....it's based off my knowledge of Metallurgy.

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 05-21-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #37
Y-Blockhead

Quote:

A-5230-SS 28-31 Stainless Steel Muffler, 300 series stainless steel inside and out, polished finish.
$319.00

Ron
It states Aries mufflers are 304 Stainless.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #38
Ruth

Quote:

I am sure the 300 series would be fine for many years on a car that is not driven every day but in my opinion I would go with the Aries Steel and I feel it would hold up just as good in the same conditions. Should they offer a 400 series in the future i would consider it but not a 300 Series.

Ron
If it lasts as long as Conway's (30+ years) with no rust or repainting I believe I would be happy. The next custodian of my car can worry about in ~2051!!

Last edited by Ruth; 05-21-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #39
Tacoma Bob

Others may chime in BUT from what I learned on this site years ago Midas Mufflers made bazillions of after market Model "A" mufflers. They were sold by JC Whitney and other discount aftermarket suppliers in the late 60s and early 70s.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #40
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
Others may chime in BUT from what I learned on this site years ago Midas Mufflers made bazillions of after market Model "A" mufflers. They were sold by JC Whitney and other discount aftermarket suppliers in the late 60s and early 70s.
I wonder if there's any way to tell what kind one has. I recently discovered that the authentic tailpipe clamp I bought from Aries was too small for my tail pipe, which I assume is a replacement from the mid-80s or earlier. Ended up keeping the clamp I had but using Aries's fasteners.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote